What to upgrade first

Hey everyone. This is my first post on the forum. 

I have been collecting vinyl for about 5 years now and really picked up the last couple months. I now own around 100 records. 

I think i need to upgrade my system. I have an audio technica lp60 and bose companion 2 speakers. Tonight, I found a Sony sony ta-ax311 amp in the basement. I'm using the headphone output to connect to the bose companion system via an aux cable. Doesn't sound too great... Not sure the setup is right. Gets static and may be over powering the speakers. 

That being said, which part of the system would you upgrade first? I'm thinking lp120 is next. I can not use the amp until I find speakers that work better. Any recommendations would be awesome!!!! Thank you!!! 

If you don't want to spend too much money go used. First I would junk the Bose speakers for something better, look round for a better turntable 2nd and keep the Sony for now and maybe look for something better there last.

Look around for some used HiFi speakers in places like yard sales, charity and junk shops or ebay or craigslist locally but ideally the charity and junk shops so you can take them back if they're faulty, you may also find a better used turntable that way as well.

The AT60 divides opinion in that in reality the arm is no better than those used on a Crosley but in general it is better made and everyone has to start somewhere so it will do a perfectly good job for you until something better comes along at the right price, the Sony amp if it's working ok again isn't great but will do a perfectly good job and you may find if you switch the phono amp out on the AT and use the phono in on the Sony it will work better than using the phono amp on the AT.

I expect this is also where you've gone wrong so if you've plugged the AT into the phono in's on the Sony try turning of the phono amp in the AT or try plugging into one of the other inputs on the Sony.

And lastly jettison the Bose as soon as possible.

The trouble with posting brand names is that all the bigger ones will probably have produced utter rubbish that would be an insult to fire wood all the way up to absolutely stunning and all points in between, plus if they've been around a while they will have had a golden period and some not so golden periods. e.g. Sansui from the early 70's to around 79/80 is generally a safe bet but from the early 80's on things really trailed off to utter crap.

As general rules look at what's been used in the construction, if they weigh a lot and money has been spent on the cabinets then that's probably a good sign but that isn't always true e.g. I doubt you'll see many pairs in the US but a pair of Kef Coda 7's are pretty light, have pretty average cabinets and generally can be had for a very low price but will destroy a lot of very expensive speakers with ease. Google is your friend so research a lot.

Those Rectilinear's are very nice speakers if in good condition but may be a bit too much speaker for your Sony to drive properly so you might want to aim a little lower down the food chain for now.

As to price they are not something we saw over here in the UK so I can't help on value but someone else might be able to. If you do buy them though you'll be upgrading everything else up to meet them sooner or later and check the foam around the drivers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectilinear_Research_Corporation