Digital Downloads...Go or No?

When you get a digital download with your LP, do you use it, pass it or trash it?...we've added download cards with bonus material not on the 45's, cards with up to 11 bonus non vinyl tracks,  and the result is the same. Maybe 1/4 are used. thoughts?

http://www.hostagerecords.com/hostage_records/ORDER_RECORDS.html

Big fan of Hostage records. I get annoyed when a label doesn't include a DL code with the record. Not as much with 7 inchers, but with full albums, especially with what a lot of companies charge these days. I also think it's advantageous for the band to include digital. I buy so much music and only have so much time to sit and listen at home. Much of my listening is in my car on commutes or on my MP3 player. Sometimes I will forget about a release if I don't see it on my digital lists.

You guys have always gone the extra mile, even with your elaborate download cards. You could probably cut costs, by just doing a computer print out of a bandcamp code? I'd also say that many of your downloads aren't redeemed because people buy multiple copies of the same release and don't use them all.

I usually download it from somewhere else & give the download to someone who's interested, or just end up throwing them out. On a somewhat related subject, I've ordered two Drips 7" (Mexico & Destroy the Chemistry) from Hostage that didn't come with downloads. This sucks 'cause the only place I can find them online are shit audio files on YouTube.

Edited by zuck

I get bummed when there aren't digital downloads for new records. The majority of my music has been ripped from CDs I've purchased over the years, now I rely on digital downloads, which most labels use, and I am thankful for. Was never huge into torrents and other downloads online. Trying my best to buy records and having the music digitally through that.

21 minutes ago, 16Shells said:

if its not FLAC (or WAV for me to convert), I don't bother and just torrent the FLAC version of what I bought. labels need to up their game, mp3 doesn't cut it anymore. doesn't have to be a 24bit download, but that's great too.

Same here.  I think the way bandcamp handles their download is perfect.  Lossless for those who want it, lossy for those who don't.

I use probably 90% of the download codes I get with records. The only real exception is when I also pick up the music on cd or have already been sent a digital download at point of purchase.

Spares normally get chucked on here or given to mates who I think will enjoy the music.

Always better to have them than not (even though my rig has the ability to rip vinyl or cassette to CD I normally don't get round to it).

I recently switched over to Spotify for my digital music library. Used iTunes for years, then went to Google Music for a little over half a year once I switched to Android, and now been with Spotify Premium for about two months. So far...it's okay.

Their available library is lacking in a lot of areas. So many versions of songs I am missing. And yes, they have a place where you can upload local music, but goddamn it is confusing and limited too! So I haven't touched many download codes in a while. I'm missing a lot of b-sides and extra tracks that Spotify just doesn't have. And don't get me started with soundtracks. Licensing is a mess so there are a ton I don't currently have access to.

Not sure what to do exactly. The overall convenience of Spotify is satisfying. As is the interface. I just gotta figure out the local files thing so I can put a lot of my download codes to use!

1 hour ago, The Saint said:

I recently switched over to Spotify for my digital music library. Used iTunes for years, then went to Google Music for a little over half a year once I switched to Android, and now been with Spotify Premium for about two months. So far...it's okay.

Their available library is lacking in a lot of areas. So many versions of songs I am missing. And yes, they have a place where you can upload local music, but goddamn it is confusing and limited too! So I haven't touched many download codes in a while. I'm missing a lot of b-sides and extra tracks that Spotify just doesn't have. And don't get me started with soundtracks. Licensing is a mess so there are a ton I don't currently have access to.

Not sure what to do exactly. The overall convenience of Spotify is satisfying. As is the interface. I just gotta figure out the local files thing so I can put a lot of my download codes to use!

That's exactly what I've been experiencing. Plus several albums switched from available to unavailable back and forth, depending on the licensing nonsense. I've been slowly turning back to a local digital library. It's especially unpleasant because the whole interface and overall experience with Spotify has been pretty good so far.

My situation is different because about 75% of what I buy on vinyl I already have digital copies from reviewing them.

But, digital download codes are a must in my view. I always point out in my vinyl reviews if there is one because there's no reason not to include it. One of my favorite labels, Alive-Natural Sound does not ever include one.

I don't care overmuch about the sound quality for the codes...because 90% of the time I'm listening to my digital library, it's via my work PC with my phone connected to it.

Of the codes I have that I purchase of non-reviewed music, I download 100% of them...though I think I lost a Twilight Fauna download code...and as that's only good to listen to as a whole chunk anyway, I don't care overmuch.

If there is no download code, I go to the library to see if they have it on CD that I can rip it. If they don't, I ask my friends to send me a copy.

My worst case scenario is go to my FIL's house and use his turntable to rip a copy...thankfully, we've never gotten to that point.

15 hours ago, rickhostage said:

When you get a digital download with your LP, do you use it, pass it or trash it?...we've added download cards with bonus material not on the 45's, cards with up to 11 bonus non vinyl tracks,  and the result is the same. Maybe 1/4 are used. thoughts?

http://www.hostagerecords.com/hostage_records/ORDER_RECORDS.html

I use the MP3 only downloads, but usually don't get around to them right away because I'm lazy af and rarely fire up my laptop at home, unless it's for the sole purpose of putting new music on my phone.  I also stick to MP3 because I'm old and don't want the hassle of converting them to put on my phone. 

Bandcamp all the way. Stream and dl in multiple formats. It has a social aspect too. I've linked up with people who have similar tastes and it points me in the direction of some other stuff I may dig. And I LOVE that some labels like Graveface and Run For Cover go this route with their codes. Pure perfection!

I used to scoff at download cards cause I thought the point of buying vinyl was to listen to it on vinyl. Then I quickly realized I hardly have time to sit and listen to a record with family and all.

So I plucked out all the download cards and now listen to mostly on my phone on my way to work. I do get annoyed as well that no download is given now a days, and have to go and pirate it online. For instance the Municipal Waste and Discharge records I bought recently, I had to illegally download them afterwards. 

I'm definitely a fan of them. When labels, such as Nonesuch, FAT, etc, send me downloads via email AND I get a download card, I always pass it along. I even go so far as to keep the nicer download cards within my record sleeves. I like the idea of using Bandcamp for all the reasons listed prior, but I usually toss those codes after use. I'm totally okay with plain old mp3s because I usually listen digitally in the car, cutting grass, or the like. So sound quality is almost pointless. However, I've seen some emergence of FLAC included and it isn't a bad thing. So, in short, 

Go.