Hard cases for albums

Hey there.  I'm getting to the point where my collection has a handful of pretty valuable pieces.  I'd like to protect these as much as possible...more than a good poly sleeve can do.  I was wondering if anyone has tried these plastic sleeves?  http://www.hobbiesdepot.com/supplies/Record-Music-Supplies/Pack-of-10-BCW-Hard-Plastic-45RPM-Record-Single-Topload-Holders.  They are the same company that makes plastic sleeves for baseball cards and other collectibles, so I trust the quality of the material.  But I'd like to get someone's thoughts on them before I picked some up.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, njrockguy said:

Hey there.  I'm getting to the point where my collection has a handful of pretty valuable pieces.  I'd like to protect these as much as possible...more than a good poly sleeve can do.  I was wondering if anyone has tried these plastic sleeves?  http://www.hobbiesdepot.com/supplies/Record-Music-Supplies/Pack-of-10-BCW-Hard-Plastic-45RPM-Record-Single-Topload-Holders.  They are the same company that makes plastic sleeves for baseball cards and other collectibles, so I trust the quality of the material.  But I'd like to get someone's thoughts on them before I picked some up.  Thanks!

You might have some trouble fitting 12" records inside that 7" sleeve.

But that's what she said.

1 hour ago, njrockguy said:

Honest truth? I dont think these are really going to provide much more protection than a poly sleeve, and I'd imagine any additional protection it does offer will be offset by the damage you do taking the records in and out if you listen to them with any regularity.

Years ago I had these folks make me a couple boxes for individual LP rarities:

http://www.archivalboxes.com/

They provide protection against accidental bumps without any worry over PVC or needing to buy a big DJ case. They just take up a bit more space on the shelf.

In case you're interested, the specifics for my boxes were 320mm x 320mm x 15mm - fourflap 56 pt.

They are like the one in the bottom right of the picture on the site (with velcro closure), and I had them do custom labels for the spines as well.

Edited by fondfarewell

2 hours ago, fondfarewell said:

Years ago I had these folks make me a couple boxes for individual LP rarities:

http://www.archivalboxes.com/

They provide protection against accidental bumps without any worry over PVC or needing to buy a big DJ case. They just take up a bit more space on the shelf.

In case you're interested, the specifics for my boxes were 320mm x 320mm x 15mm - fourflap 56 pt.

They are like the one in the bottom right of the picture on the site (with velcro closure), and I had them do custom labels for the spines as well.

Pics?

15 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

I gotta ask.

What's the value of these albums you need to protect? 

Also, why so worried about damage? Do you plan on the jackets getting  wet or damaged some other way?

Does value really matter of you just want something cool?

That being said, I've got several releases that are North of $500 (to the right buyer of course) that I'd totally protect further if I could.

Wow...I never expected this much feedback!  I don't have any specific concerns with my records.  After listening to everyone, I feel comfortable about how they are stored now.  As for the value, it's all relative.  I have about a dozen pieces that are worth north of $300.  For some, that is pretty minimal, for me, that's pretty high.  Specifically, here are some things that I was thinking about when I made the first post:

Ramones - Leave Home (test pressing)

Misfits - Horror Business 

Warzone - Lower East Side EP (1st pressing)

AFI - Sing the Sorrow

Zombies - Odessey And Oracle (original pressing)