PO Afghan Whigs represses

Good lord, been waiting for these for awhile.

For anyone popping into this thread randomly, these guys are one of if not THE most underrated bands of all time. I probably wouldn't start with any of these necessarily, maybe Congregation, but Gentlemen and Black Love are perfection. Now all we need is a Blackberry Belle repress and I'll be set.

5 hours ago, nancy_raygun said:

Its a little unfortunate so many of these Sub Pop bands went and skipped labels so much in the 90s because I would love to snag a box set treatment for Afghan Whigs.  Same for Screaming Trees and Mudhoney.

Agreed, although I never really got past Superfuzz Bigmuff with Mudhoney. Would definitely buy box sets for Afghan Whigs, Screaming Trees, Twilight Singers & Gutter Twins if they happened no hesitation required.

Some of the Trees big albums are pretty easy to get as they were repressed by MOV but some are a total pain to track down.

20 hours ago, pepperonigin said:

Good lord, been waiting for these for awhile.

For anyone popping into this thread randomly, these guys are one of if not THE most underrated bands of all time. I probably wouldn't start with any of these necessarily, maybe Congregation, but Gentlemen and Black Love are perfection. Now all we need is a Blackberry Belle repress and I'll be set.

Underrated? lol!!!

On 7/27/2017 at 2:41 PM, noone said:

We are waiting for the details. If it's not up in the next hour, it will go up Monday. It depends on whether they get back from lunch before we leave the office. We will Tweet about it so as not to spam the board. 

33 minutes ago, Bull Moose said:

We are waiting for the details. If it's not up in the next hour, it will go up Monday. It depends on whether they get back from lunch before we leave the office. We will Tweet about it so as not to spam the board. 

Cool. Thanks. And I wasn't being critical, I figured you'd have it soon, hence the "yet".

1 hour ago, rogeoa8 said:

some people cant stand the vocals

I can understand that, but it has nothing to do with whether or not a band should be considered underrated.

9 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

Dulli vocals are top notch

Under rated is not correct either...This band put out well received  albums by fans and critics, toured all over the world and went on to various side projects as well as continuing on as the Whigs. Hardly an overlooked band

Perhaps our definitions of underrated are different. While they have certainly received their fair share of acclaim they are not nearly as well regarded as I believe they should be. To me, they're one of the finest bands to come out of the 90s. I understand my opinion is just that, an opinion, but take a look at any top 90s lists and they are either nowhere to be found or ranked laughably low.

Obviously these can only be taken with a pinch of salt but they're still tastemakers:

Rolling Stone's Top 100 Albums of the 90s - not one Whigs album anywhere to be seen

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-best-albums-of-the-nineties-20110427

Pitchfork's Top 100 Albums of the 90s - again, not one Whigs album

http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/5923-top-100-albums-of-the-1990s/

Genetlemen does manage to appear in a couple of SPIN lists but either at the very bottom or stuck somewhere in the middle. Just look at some of the albums on this list!

http://www.spin.com/2015/05/the-300-best-albums-of-the-past-30-years-1985-2014/

I'm sorry but this band is criminally underrated.

As a huge fan of The Whigs since 1993, I would say that the band isn't underrated so much as often overlooked.  While they were part of the 90s boom of alternative music, they never really received the mass airplay on radio or MTV, even while being critically acclaimed.  None of their videos ever were in heavy rotation on MTV.