PO NOW: Beck "Colors" 10/13/2017

1 hour ago, timpopkid said:

There's a song on Midnight Vultures where he's singing about fruity bazooty or something stupid like that. Lyrically just about every song is awful and the jokey R&B thing is such a disingenuous gimmick. 

Like the lyrics on Mellow Gold aren't goofy as fuck.  I mean, "get crazy with the Cheez Whiz"?  High level lyrical artistry right there...

One of my favorite Beck songs from that MG era, Bogus Flow, has the goofiest lyrics ever.

Trying to say the music on that record is disingenuous and gimmicky is bonkers.  Have you seen any live videos from that tour period?  Shit is the jam.  Considering he composed all of that shit, it's lazy to call it gimmicky when you just don't get it or whatever.  That whole record is a big fuck you to that scene, mentality, and lifestyle.  It's not in support of it.  I mean, the record was almost called I Can Smell the VD in the Club Tonite.

1 hour ago, timpopkid said:

There's a song on Midnight Vultures where he's singing about fruity bazooty or something stupid like that. Lyrically just about every song is awful and the jokey R&B thing is such a disingenuous gimmick. 

I'm pretty sure one of the ten commandments is "trust not the man who dislikes the song Debra"

A few questions:

1) Does anybody now how many are being pressed between the Deluxe red, standard red, Barnes and Noble white, Indie Yellow and Target different cover?  I'm wondering if one is going to be more limited than the other.

2) Can someone post the link for the Barnes and Noble white vinyl?  I can't find it...

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, richardsurf said:

Very very understated but it's there at the bottom of the page (I highlighted it in yellow).

Wow, I even went to look at the page after I read your post.  Somehow still missed it.  Thanks for the heads up! I had it ordered anyway, so I guess I just would have been surprised when it showed up.

• 4 weeks later...

I've given myself permission to enjoy Beck's new mindless party pop persona. There is enough Beck there for these songs to not veer all the way over the edge of annoying and banal and, at their best moments, the songs are pretty fun and catchy. Stereogum's review strikes me as more of an attempt to get in the first hot take and stir up some advertising revenue than a serious critique of the album. I'm eager to hear the full thing and see how that changes the context of the first 3-4 released songs.

So far, it's a pop record.  There's some really good music, some really ok lyrics, but a couple of cringers too.  The jury is still out on the longevity of this for me personally.

Edit: I will say Seventh Heaven is a jam.  Kinda math rock-noodly, like Minus the Bear but with a groovier beat.

Edited by highfives

I dig the album.

It is a pretty straight-forward party pop album but with just enough Beck musical touches (and, of course, his distinctive voice) to keep me happy. At a certain point, you just have to give in and enjoy it. It's well made. Now, if Beck was my favorite musician of all time and I expected greatness from him, I'd probably be bummed that he waited two years to release this fun but disposable pop album instead of sneaking it out with Morning Phase as a 'bonus' full length.

Just picked up my deluxe from my local shop, it's a double dark red lp set cut at 45rpm, jacket is a gatefold, there are some clear/color inserts that cover his face but don't really amount to much. Booklet includes lyrics and some more clear/color pages really lame for the $50+ tag I think I'll be picking up a $20 copy.  

• 1 year later...