Jump to content
jonrawks

[PO]: Skinny Puppy - Remission & Bites

Recommended Posts

Got an email from Earache regarding a few Skinny Puppy reissues.  Hopefully they keep working their way through the catalog.  Hard to find any of them for a good price and in decent shape it seems.

 

Quote

Skinny Puppy exploded onto the electronic industrial music scene with 1984’s Remission, fusing elements of new wave, techno dance, film noir, and innovative sampling. Lead by cEvin Key and Nivek Ogre, the band quickly garnered an international fanbase and followed up their new success with 1985’s Bites, which produced their first underground hit, “Assimilate.” Restored to their original track listing and design, Remission and Bites are now available on vinyl for the first time in over 25 years.

 

http://uswebstore.earache.com/skinny-puppy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally! Wasn't sure this would ever happen. cEvin Key had publicly stated his frustration with Nettwerk about not being willing to bring these back in print or to license them to anyone that would. I remember hearing that Nettwerk sold rights to a lot of their recordings to Kobalt, so I wonder if that has anything to do with these. I do wish that Artoffact would be handling these because they've been doing great work with SP's side projects (and just reissued some great Nettwerk era Download releases that never saw a vinyl release) and it'd have been great to see these expanded to double LPs with the extra material included on the CD reissues put on the second disc.

I already have most of Skinny Puppy's albums, minus Remission & Last Rights, and I'd like to replace my copy of Too Dark Park so I hope these are just the beginning.

Edited by aphasias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aphasias said:

Finally! Wasn't sure this would ever happen. cEvin Key had publicly stated his frustration with Nettwerk about not being willing to bring these back in print or to license them to anyone that would. I remember hearing that Nettwerk sold rights to a lot of their recordings to Kobalt, so I wonder if that has anything to do with these. I do wish that Artoffact would be handling these because they've been doing great work with SP's side projects (and just reissued some great Nettwerk era Download releases that never saw a vinyl release) and it'd have been great to see these expanded to double LPs with the extra material included on the CD reissues put on the second disc.

I already have most of Skinny Puppy's albums, minus Remission & Last Rights, and I'd like to replace my copy of Too Dark Park so I hope these are just the beginning.

I'll always love Skinny Puppy but your post really drives home the fact that neither the band nor the labels they associate with are winning a spelling bee anytime soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2017 at 8:56 PM, aphasias said:

Finally! Wasn't sure this would ever happen. cEvin Key had publicly stated his frustration with Nettwerk about not being willing to bring these back in print or to license them to anyone that would. I remember hearing that Nettwerk sold rights to a lot of their recordings to Kobalt, so I wonder if that has anything to do with these. I do wish that Artoffact would be handling these because they've been doing great work with SP's side projects (and just reissued some great Nettwerk era Download releases that never saw a vinyl release) and it'd have been great to see these expanded to double LPs with the extra material included on the CD reissues put on the second disc.

I already have most of Skinny Puppy's albums, minus Remission & Last Rights, and I'd like to replace my copy of Too Dark Park so I hope these are just the beginning.

 

Yeah, I wonder if the band is getting any money at all from these re-releases, I doubt it. Hopefully all the SP stuff from that era is out of Nettwerk's hands and into companies that'll actually do something with the catalog. I'm very happy with my original copies (I found Bites on discogs years back for $2!)  so I doubt I'll buy these but I'm glad they're finally getting repressed. I second Artoffact's work with the Download/Key stuff, the Doubting Thomas pressing sounds amazing and I can't wait for the new Download LP's to arrive. 

Edited by morfiend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess I never realized these albums are so hard to find/pricey.  I got a couple different pressings of Bites for $5ish and recently found Too Dark Park for $10 all at my local used shops. I do really need to track down Mind and Rabies at some point. I don't love earache's business practices so I'm hoping someone else re-releases those when the time comes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, fish said:

Guess I never realized these albums are so hard to find/pricey.  I got a couple different pressings of Bites for $5ish and recently found Too Dark Park for $10 all at my local used shops. I do really need to track down Mind and Rabies at some point. I don't love earache's business practices so I'm hoping someone else re-releases those when the time comes.

$10 for Too Dark Park?! :o  Last I checked it was difficult to get anything in decent condition lower than $75 on Discogs. Bites & Remission easily fetch $60 as well. Actually, that's what they're listed for. Doesn't mean they're selling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2017 at 10:31 AM, morfiend said:

 

Yeah, I wonder if the band is getting any money at all from these re-releases, I doubt it. Hopefully all the SP stuff from that era is out of Nettwerk's hands and into companies that'll actually do something with the catalog. I'm very happy with my original copies (I found Bites on discogs years back for $2!)  so I doubt I'll buy these but I'm glad they're finally getting repressed. I second Artoffact's work with the Download/Key stuff, the Doubting Thomas pressing sounds amazing and I can't wait for the new Download LP's to arrive. 

What Download LPs are they putting out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aphasias said:

I can't speak for this poster, but a lot of people are probably still waiting to receive shipments with The Eyes Of Stanley Pain, Sidewinder, III and Effector as Artoffact just recently released them. I received mine a couple weeks ago.

What?! I checked their site before posting the question and saw no mention of any of these releases. I would buy those in a heartbeat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to do some deep-digging to find where those Download reissues were being sold. Nothing on Artoffact's bandcamp page, and I had to scroll deep, deep down their Facebook page to find a link to an article which then posted links to where to buy them - on stormingthebase.com. Wow. 


Seems that most variants are still available there, and the rest on Discogs. Just copped the clear/blue splatter of TEOSP on Discogs along with III and Sidewinder on Storming the Base.

 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are up on Bullmoose for a little less than what Earache has them listed as and w/ free shipping on orders over $30.  There's also a release date of 10.13 listed.

 

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/25572048/skinny-puppy-bites-150-gram

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/25572046/skinny-puppy-remission-150-gram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×