Officially don't have any expectations at all for this record anymore. Both songs completely lack the atmosphere and guitar tones that made me love this band. Even with all the new instruments and ideas it just feels so fucking flat. It isn't technically bad but whatever... the band only has like 2 members from their original core lineup anyways and it's very noticeable.

41 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Officially don't have any expectations at all for this record anymore. Both songs completely lack the atmosphere and guitar tones that made me love this band. Even with all the new instruments and ideas it just feels so fucking flat. It isn't technically bad but whatever... the band only has like 2 members from their original core lineup anyways and it's very noticeable.

?? Yeah but the only difference lineup wise between the last album and this one is Nicole. I think it was just the sound their going for. I still foresee this being a strong album, but only really as a whole. That's how I felt about Harmlessness as well.

22 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

?? Yeah but the only difference lineup wise between the last album and this one is Nicole. I think it was just the sound their going for. I still foresee this being a strong album, but only really as a whole. That's how I felt about Harmlessness as well.

And that makes it painfully obvious that the others just aren't as good as her. So far we've had a keyboard song with boring ass guitars and now another song with boring ass guitars for five minutes before some brass instruments fuck shit up with the drums. I could teach someone the guitar part of this song in an hour even if they're hot trash at the instrument.

Also, D wrote most of the lyrics and songs from all their past releases sooooo that's more than just a guitar player like the band refers to her as lol. They may have lost just one member but when that member was responsible for like 50% of the band work while the other 5 or 6 make up the other 50 it's a big loss.

16 hours ago, Sunshine said:

And that makes it painfully obvious that the others just aren't as good as her. So far we've had a keyboard song with boring ass guitars and now another song with boring ass guitars for five minutes before some brass instruments fuck shit up with the drums. I could teach someone the guitar part of this song in an hour even if they're hot trash at the instrument.

Also, D wrote most of the lyrics and songs from all their past releases sooooo that's more than just a guitar player like the band refers to her as lol. They may have lost just one member but when that member was responsible for like 50% of the band work while the other 5 or 6 make up the other 50 it's a big loss.

Im sorry, but this is soooo off base. The song definitely has a similar atmospheric feel as always, granted not having a straight up post rock break. While nicole did contribute a bit, its a far cry to say she wrote half of the songs. A quick scroll through their Tumblr will show that Josh brought song ideas to the table, that they've long written in a collaborative manner, and that David handled most of the lyrics since whenever if ever, some songs even being reworkings of his solo stuff. Not only that, but some songs on Always Foreign have been written a while, specifically "Infinite Steve."

Like I get that it's upsetting that nicole isnt in the band, and it's okay to not like these two songs- im not big on "Dillon and Her Son." But to say the other 7/8 of this band (lol) doesnt do anything is just goofy.

1 hour ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Having lost both Nicole and Tom has pretty much killed this band for me. I realllly don't like Bello's lyrics/vocals.

Tom wasn't even on a studio album though yeah? Not even sure what vocals were his on the EPs. As for Dave's vocals, yeah.... I'm half and half with him. He just needs to speed things up 50% of the time. It's like spoken word.  

22 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Yeah, I am over them.  I have never loved David as vocalist, to be honest his voice probably annoys me more often than not.  Whenever, If Ever has  really resonated with me, but that's probably because it came out during my first year of university and I had it on repeat for a year straight.  Good memories, etc.  I fell in love with Formlessness when it came out, and I still believe the Deer Leap split is their peak, by a mile.  Those four songs are amazing.  

44 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

Tom wasn't even on a studio album though yeah? Not even sure what vocals were his on the EPs. As for Dave's vocals, yeah.... I'm half and half with him. He just needs to speed things up 50% of the time. It's like spoken word.  

He was on half of the first LP and everything before it.

3 hours ago, shawnayala90 said:

Im sorry, but this is soooo off base. The song definitely has a similar atmospheric feel as always, granted not having a straight up post rock break. While nicole did contribute a bit, its a far cry to say she wrote half of the songs. A quick scroll through their Tumblr will show that Josh brought song ideas to the table, that they've long written in a collaborative manner, and that David handled most of the lyrics since whenever if ever, some songs even being reworkings of his solo stuff. Not only that, but some songs on Always Foreign have been written a while, specifically "Infinite Steve."

Like I get that it's upsetting that nicole isnt in the band, and it's okay to not like these two songs- im not big on "Dillon and Her Son." But to say the other 7/8 of this band (lol) doesnt do anything is just goofy.

Don't be sorry if you're wrong. I didn't say they didn't do anything. I said they are all together equal to the output of Nicole. She didn't contribute "a bit" lol even outside of the actual music their entire presence as a band was all her with tiny cameos from the others. All the Tumblr posts, funny dumb shit like the Tumblr book and the fork, album art/layout, and interview presence. There are even solo songs of hers recorded under the band name with just her playing. I'm sure everyone contributes but I don't think any were near what Nicole brought to the table and it clearly sounds that way with these two tracks.

Edited by Sunshine

Alright I've listened to the whole thing back to back 3 times (Don't ask me for it I will not give it to you) and... it's definitely better than I was expecting. I'm disappointed that there aren't really any post rock elements anymore as that's what made this band unique; post rock emo or whatever the fuck. But forgetting the bands past and putting my Nicole bias aside this is definitely not a bad record though. A LOT more use of Katies synths and many more explosive energetic moments. Several singers come and go and I think there was more trumpet/various brass as well. Waaaaay less violins/cellos though  (I wasn't listening for it but only recall them being in Infinite Steve) which is definitely a reason this record is less euphoric, I miss them. Marine Tigers was much more enjoyable in the album sequence as it's a sort of respite from the energy. Don't go into this expecting a progression of Harmlessness. It's just too different. It's lean and much brighter sounding with more variety and a seemingly better attitude. I don't foresee liking this more than LP1 and 2 but it's not the pile of garbage I thought it'd be. Although the second track is easily the worst thing they've recorded. It sounds like they're trying to be a poppy alt rock 90s band complete with a different vocalist. It's jarring and out of place. That's the only real dud now imo. The opening track is great along with a few others including Infinite Steve. That was probably my favorite track David uses a much different vocal delivery than I've heard elsewhere it's cool. The drumming on every song is still incredible because of Mr. Buttery he'll always impress me.

I have a lot of music that I love that took a while to grow on me so I'm going to reserve any more of my opinion until I've had it for a week or so.

Edit: Faker should have been the first single. That would have drawn way more hype. 

Edited by Sunshine

My mind has already boxed up and shelved "classic" [Whenever, If Ever] TWIABP as a separate band than the one that released Harmlessness, which I was still able to enjoy.  Just for different reasons.  I'm not at all expecting them to return to their old sound.  If I can have fun with the new album, it's a success in my books.