After spending a lot of time with this it has really grown on me. Although I had to delete the second song to make the beginning of the record not flow terribly... It's not Twiabp as we've known and I doubt I'll ever enjoy it as much as past material but it's pretty good.

Edit:aaaaaaaaand now it's boring

Edited by Sunshine

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, batman said:

that second song... it's good, but it seems very out of place. 

It’s definitely out of place but I Fucking love it

it was one of the first demos they sent me for the album and it just felt real and from the heart. Something cool and genuine about it.

3 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Anyone know if this jawn is shipping before release date next week?

Considering I still don’t have a record in my hands from the US press I seriously doubt it. We had EU/UK exclusive shipped over to us so the band would have vinyl to sell at the release show and for the tour

3 hours ago, DecayToDeath said:

I was pretty underwhelmed by this; thought half of it was pretty good. Maybe it's a grower...?

I don't think it's a grower. I finally listened to Harmlessness since I listened to this and it blows this album out of the water and I've lost any desire to listen to it. This is just some really shallow songwriting lacking all the atmospheric guitar layers and reoccurring tones implemented in basically all their music since the demo. Even the "Blank" on this album is meh compared to the others. Was this a conscious decision to snuff out what Nicole brought to the band? This album seems kind of amateur by comparison to be honest... Again, it's not bad but it isn't anything special for me like past releases which really fuckin bums me out.

Plz don't hate me secret watcher.

20 hours ago, thedillon said:

Considering I still don’t have a record in my hands from the US press I seriously doubt it. We had EU/UK exclusive shipped over to us so the band would have vinyl to sell at the release show and for the tour

Yeah, I saw that the band posted a pic of the record. Was hoping it was the US press since I'm waiting on that to listen.

16 hours ago, Sunshine said:

I don't think it's a grower. I finally listened to Harmlessness since I listened to this and it blows this album out of the water and I've lost any desire to listen to it. This is just some really shallow songwriting lacking all the atmospheric guitar layers and reoccurring tones implemented in basically all their music since the demo. Even the "Blank" on this album is meh compared to the others. Was this a conscious decision to snuff out what Nicole brought to the band? This album seems kind of amateur by comparison to be honest... Again, it's not bad but it isn't anything special for me like past releases which really fuckin bums me out.

Plz don't hate me secret watcher.

It might just be because I haven't seen any of the Harmlessness songs live, but saw them play literally every song they did previously (even To the Janitor)...but I only love probably 2/3 of that album.

47 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Yeah, I saw that the band posted a pic of the record. Was hoping it was the US press since I'm waiting on that to listen.

It might just be because I haven't seen any of the Harmlessness songs live, but saw them play literally every song they did previously (even To the Janitor)...but I only love probably 2/3 of that album.

You'll see what I mean. Just listen to the right channel guitar on any song on Harmlessness and then imagine it not being in the song and that's basically what I hear on Always Foreign. All this applies to any of their other music as well have you listened to the singles yet? I think it's obvious.

Got impatient and listened to the leak since so many of you have heard this. I'll leave a full review of this until a few more listens since Harmlessness took like 5 listens and Whenever took me several as well.

All I'll say is that it's not fair to say how this record came out was solely because Nicole isn't on it. I honestly can't pick out more than 15% similar sounds to Harmlessness. They changed up tones a lot, they brought the synths closer, they have much more Katie as well as a few other male vocalists (can't say without album credits), some brass, but not a ton, etc. etc. 

Whether you want to say it's good or bad, I think this is just a classic case of having a lot of musicians wanting to change things up.

Also, if "Hilltopper" is about Nicole, holy heck that was pretty brutal.

12 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

Got impatient and listened to the leak since so many of you have heard this. I'll leave a full review of this until a few more listens since Harmlessness took like 5 listens and Whenever took me several as well.

All I'll say is that it's not fair to say how this record came out was solely because Nicole isn't on it. I honestly can't pick out more than 15% similar sounds to Harmlessness. They changed up tones a lot, they brought the synths closer, they have much more Katie as well as a few other male vocalists (can't say without album credits), some brass, but not a ton, etc. etc. 

Whether you want to say it's good or bad, I think this is just a classic case of having a lot of musicians wanting to change things up.

Also, if "Hilltopper" is about Nicole, holy heck that was pretty brutal.

You're the same dude that asked if Tom was even on Whenever, If Ever right? (Which is funny since he sings on every song) Pretty scientific of you to improve your ears so much in so little time to pinpoint 15% similar sounds :rolleyes:

Not trying to be a dick but if you wanna mention my opinion I will argue back and win lol. I think it's pretty easy to see that pop punk kids will enjoy this simplified approach on LP3 but I've been on a huge TWIABP kick this week and it's insane how much of a drop off in musicianship this album is compared to the rest. Be Neon With Me, Thanks, and The Word Lisa are all tracks that could easily fit in on this record, but they're just so much better musically it's stupid. At this point I'm probably gonna spin this once and shelf it. It's not bad it's just not TWIABP.

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

You're the same dude that asked if Tom was even on Whenever, If Ever right? (Which is funny since he sings on every song) Pretty scientific of you to improve your ears so much in so little time to pinpoint 15% similar sounds :rolleyes:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I've never seen them play live (seeing them for the first time this tour) so I have no clue who tf "Tom" is. I see his name on the credits sheet now, but there were 4 male vocalists on that album, I'm just supposed to know that those are his? Through a process of elimination, I can go back now and be like "Definitely not Dave or Greg...."

I'm just saying there are plenty of bands that changed their sound this drastically without a lineup change, so to assume that a missing member is the only variable is kinda shortsighted, plenty of other bands that suggest you can suddenly suck from one album to the next with the same members.

Honestly, the band died for me when Tom quit.

Also, you can't find pictures of Tom? What the fuck? Are you even trying? I've probably got a bunch on my instagram and there are tons of photos of that era all over the place. Check Dan Bassini's site or look at any video of them pre-2013

2 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I've never seen them play live (seeing them for the first time this tour) so I have no clue who tf "Tom" is. I see his name on the credits sheet now, but there were 4 male vocalists on that album, I'm just supposed to know that those are his? Through a process of elimination, I can go back now and be like "Definitely not Dave or Greg...."

I'm just saying there are plenty of bands that changed their sound this drastically without a lineup change, so to assume that a missing member is the only variable is kinda shortsighted, plenty of other bands that suggest you can suddenly suck from one album to the next with the same members.

They are clearly different singers and I can easily hear when it's Greg, Tom, Nicole, or Bello. It's almost never Bello on W,IE and a lot of Nicole's lyrics are sung by other people.  The fact that you cannot discern them was my way of making fun of you for saying something ridiculous like "15% similar sounds" when you don't have an ear for it.

And the missing band member is the only variable... What bands "suck" on their new albums after making good ones with the exact same members? I can't think of any that I listen to. I can't wait til more people hear this to hear what they think.

7 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

They are clearly different singers and I can easily hear when it's Greg, Tom, Nicole, or Bello. It's almost never Bello on W,IE and a lot of Nicole's lyrics are sung by other people.  The fact that you cannot discern them was my way of making fun of you for saying something ridiculous like "15% similar sounds" when you don't have an ear for it.

And the missing band member is the only variable... What bands "suck" on their new albums after making good ones with the exact same members? I can't think of any that I listen to. I can't wait til more people hear this to hear what they think.

I can tell they are different singers, it's just that if you've never seen them in person, you just think "They have a lot of vocalists..." And losing one of the many isn't that a big of a deal (at least to me). But I'm not really sentimental to the pre-2013 TWIABP because I was in South America for two years and wasn't paying attention to American music.

And easy one: Somos. Go to thread for their last album and I'm pretty sure there was like 2 people that said they liked that album after receiving almost Unanimous praise for "Temple of Plenty" and selling out 4 presses of that album. http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/117494-out-now-somos-first-day-back/?tab=comments#comment-2467575

Edited by MCDELTAT