PO NOW: Ducktails - Jersey Devil

Jersey+Devil+front.png?format=500w

The 6th album from New Jersey's Ducktails "Jersey Devil"

Out October 6th, 2017 on New Images

Written, recorded, produced by Matthew Mondanile. Mixed by Ernie Indradat & Matthew Mondanile at Sonic Youth's Echo Canyon Studios in Hoboken, New Jersey.

Pre-order:  http://newimageslimited.com/catalog/ducktails-jersey-devil-lp-pre-order

Music Video: 

Edited by joshman150
jk

2 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

Love ducktails so much. If there's no limited version I'll wait on this though.

Matt is releasing this one himself so I doubt there will be a variant. I wouldn't be surprised if there was not a huge initial run for that reason as well.

1 hour ago, timsimmons said:

I'm pretty psyched for this. I only found out the other day he released a couple of tapes of old demos and recordings and Ive been going through those. Nice to get a proper album though. 

Ducktails could fill several LPs with their non-albums tracks already. I kinda hope we see that happen sometime. I got about a half-dozen of their 7"s and 12"s (mostly split releases) but it barely amounts to half their non-album stuff.

18 minutes ago, poweredbytrust said:

wasn't a huge fan of the last record, but that new single is really good indeed. Will keep an eye on this and if it will eventually be released in the EU as well.

Yeah, St. Catherines was a little slow and boring, with a few exceptions, even though it sounded great. If I had to sell any of my Ducktails albums, that would be the first to go. The new single is good although it sort of reminds me of Toro Y Moi and hypnagogic pop in general.

Edited by armadillo01

4 minutes ago, armadillo01 said:

The new single is good although it sort of reminds me of Toro Y Moi and hypnagogic pop in general.

Interesting, which Toro Y Moi record do you think sounds like this single? I am not yet familiar with his output, but if it sounds like this I'd definitely check it out!

15 hours ago, armadillo01 said:

Ducktails could fill several LPs with their non-albums tracks already. I kinda hope we see that happen sometime. I got about a half-dozen of their 7"s and 12"s (mostly split releases) but it barely amounts to half their non-album stuff.

Have you gotten the 2 1hr long albums of non-album tracks he released earlier this year yet?

13 hours ago, joshman150 said:

Have you gotten the 2 1hr long albums of non-album tracks he released earlier this year yet?

I only saw them the other day! I'm glad they compiled all those tracks... and I finally have a functioning cassette player so I COULD buy the physical releases. 

9 hours ago, armadillo01 said:

I only saw them the other day! I'm glad they compiled all those tracks... and I finally have a functioning cassette player so I COULD buy the physical releases. 

Yeah it is a great little selection of tunes. My buddy saw Matt play in England earlier this year and picked up a tape for me and then I just ordered the other one. Love the Duck.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, timsimmons said:

Fuck this guy. 

to give this some context for those unaware: https://www.spin.com/2017/10/matt-mondanile-aka-ducktails-departed-real-estate-amid-sexual-misconduct-allegations/

edit: also, judging from the past interview section reported in the article, the guy seems unbelievably self-absorbed in the first place. Ugh.

Edited by poweredbytrust

Haven't gotten the record in the mail yet. Think I may just send it back. 

Also read this on Indieheads

Back in 2010 or 2011ish a friend of mine who knows Mondanile told me he was a bit a creep, and that original drummer Etienne Pierre Duguay named his side project Predator Vision after a term the band used when Mondanile was targeting and pursuing women. Apparently what I heard was true. I'm glad the band finally took action and got rid of him, but it seems they knew this was an issue for years before actually doing anything.

The news is very disappointing for me. Real Estate is my favorite band and The Flower Lane & Ducktails III are two of my of my favorite albums of the past decade. I only came into direct contact with Matt a couple times and he was never a total dick like some have stated, but he wasn't particularly nice either. Martin and Alex on the other hand are two of the most genuinely nice guys I've met and Alex in particular always goes out of his way to talk to me at shows. I also am so glad they replaced Matt with Julian. He is unbelievably nice and one of the most professional people have worked with  in the indie music scene. I was worried at first when he replaced Matt, but now more than ever I am glad he is a part of the band.

I will be very interested to read Matt's response to the Spin article in the coming days, but I am very happy with how Real Estate handled this whole ordeal.

Just now, timsimmons said:

I mean, they did sit on this information for over a year. They aren’t exactly blameless either. 

I don't fault them at all for that more than likely there were legal reasons for not being able to disclose information on both their and Domino's part. Also it is not their responsibility to call out the guy, removing him is enough and they did that. 

• 4 weeks later...