PO: Mewithoutyou [A->B] Life Repress

Just now, ejc625 said:

doesn't bother me nearly as much now I couldn't afford this. 

Does thr original pressing really sound that bad? 

It's not great, but I wouldn't say it was bad.

Even taking the CD audio it's quite possible to improve the mastering for vinyl, though obviously it's not ideal.

57 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Why would they press black copies for a joke? They're using stupid buzz words but there's plenty reason to do it.

The joke isn't pressing black (which is a good move as plenty of people want black), it's that they always call it "audiophile black." For their past few releases they've mostly given their variants fun names: Sugar Into Tea, Ghost Green, Yellowcake, Bubble Gum Brain, Double Rainbow, Grimace Purple, Train Wreck Fire, Elephant Gray, etc. Then they offer black, but to go along with the descriptive names they call it Audiophile Black. They're not using it as a "stupid buzz word," it's just a little joke to go along with their fun variant names.

10 minutes ago, jeromium said:

Damn I didn't get this email until this morning, missed out on the Sugar Into Tea (although I might have been able to get one if KingTacoMunster didn't buy two). 

Ordered the tour version with ticket to Seattle. 

im going to act like this is a "haha funny" comment because im pretty sure the extra one I bought didn't make you miss out on it but if it wasn't a "haha funny" comment then you can go complain to people who bought extras to flip, not to help a fellow VC'er out for cost (like ive done many times before here)

16 minutes ago, rcafilm said:

They're not using it as a "stupid buzz word," it's just a little joke to go along with their fun variant names.

Yes they are and no it isn't. There are plenty of funny names they can give black (I remember people getting mad about VHS Black from some release haha) but they chose a buzz word. Every name they've given a variant is descriptive of the color. Audiophile doesn't mean black so...

12 minutes ago, KingTacoMunster said:

im going to act like this is a "haha funny" comment because im pretty sure the extra one I bought didn't make you miss out on it but if it wasn't a "haha funny" comment then you can go complain to people who bought extras to flip, not to help a fellow VC'er out for cost (like ive done many times before here)

It was haha funny. ;)

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

Yes they are and no it isn't. There are plenty of funny names they can give black (I remember people getting mad about VHS Black from some release haha) but they chose a buzz word. Every name they've given a variant is descriptive of the color. Audiophile doesn't mean black so...

All I know is that if it is a joke (it isn't) then it's not funny.

1 hour ago, AlexH. said:

and the CD sounds great, nerds. 

So why not just play the CD then?  I don't think anyone was griping about the way the CD sounds; it's more about the "remaster" just being plucked from the CD's files.  Makes it kind of pointless to scoop up the vinyl if it's going to sound identical, with the quiet, periodic pop and hiss.

2 minutes ago, Holo said:

Currently dealing with being totally fucked over by the venue... was hyped as hell to see it here because it's such a great space. Wish they'd habe told me up front, id have just driven to LA. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=327574671028766&id=100013287064690

Did you reach out to the band to clarify? They might clean this up for you. 

4 hours ago, Derek™ said:

So why not just play the CD then?  I don't think anyone was griping about the way the CD sounds; it's more about the "remaster" just being plucked from the CD's files.  Makes it kind of pointless to scoop up the vinyl if it's going to sound identical, with the quiet, periodic pop and hiss.

But like, why should it sound different from the CD if the CD sounds good? What would be appreciably better about having a different master?  Obviously if you're putting out a release from scratch it makes the most sense to work from the original masters, but I don't personally see any problem with taking something that sounds good and tweaking it for a vinyl release. 

This whole format is already pointless anyway, they can put the music right onto your phone these days. 

10 hours ago, AlexH. said:

But like, why should it sound different from the CD if the CD sounds good? What would be appreciably better about having a different master?  Obviously if you're putting out a release from scratch it makes the most sense to work from the original masters, but I don't personally see any problem with taking something that sounds good and tweaking it for a vinyl release. 

This whole format is already pointless anyway, they can put the music right onto your phone these days. 

cause mastering from a cd is pointless and some of us actually like the format for the sound quality, if it doesn't have a dedicated master then yeah I would just stick to cd/digital. I think the Gilead had a dedicated master, did not have the compression level of the CD for this or CFUTF to my ears. But with all the licensing being bleh, did they just use those plates? Or did they have to find a different source, if it's a high rez transfer from the tapes it can sound good like I said I dunno how it was recorded and doubt it was all analog for that point in time. I do care however if you lazy up and just use the same master, can't crank it to greater effect and sounds like a blanket is thrown over your speakers, the last Jayhawks album was like that and I'd dump it if the whole band didn't autograph it for me. 

1 hour ago, joneboon said:

im happy to finally own this on vinyl!

I wonder, since they were able to put A->B on vinyl (again!), we could see a reissue of Catch for us the Foxes soon as well? Also a Gilead release

Doubtful. The band tried awhile back, and there is some licensing bullshit holding it up. Hopefully it gets resolved for everyone who needs a copy.