PO - Brand New - Science Fiction

I honestly am having a hard time picking a favorite. I do really like the trio of Same Logic/Teeth, 137, and Out of Mana, but the whole damn thing is great and I hate to even try to pick one favorite. 

Regarding the CD, you bet your bippy it'll be blasting in my car on the way to work every day for at least a month. Music is meant to be heard, not pinned to a wall. I've tried to point that out to the reddit community and gotten downvoted hard every time. The hell with 'em.

5 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

Either Desert or 451. The only standout in a negative way is Could Never Be Heaven.

That's kind of funny.  I have a coworker who claims that Desert's lyrics are too off-putting for him to enjoy the song, and insists he could "do entirely without 451 on the album".  (We enjoy quite a few of the same bands but seem to have polar-opposite tastes when it comes to which albums or tracks we favor.)  Honestly, I wasn't sure what to think of 451 when I first heard it.  That intro sounds like Brand New meets ZZ Top, and the chorus has a bit of a stadium-rock vibe... but damn if it's not a whole lot of fun.  I don't mind Desert at all either.  But considering how big of a Tumblr-following Brand New has, I wouldn't be surprise if a lot of people allowed the lyrical perspective to ruin it for them.

I can't pick any favorites yet since I've only given the album 3 listens.  Really trying to pace myself and draw out that initial "wonder" and charm of the first listens, when everything is fresh and new.  I will say that the album is way more consistent and enjoyable than I thought it would be.  Going back on a previous post of mine, my largest concern is indeed the fact that I enjoyed every track on the first go.  Some will probably grow on me more than others, but there was nothing that I didn't "get" on the first go, like there was on Daisy or even TDAG, back when I was a teen.  I find that albums that aren't immediately challenging don't exactly hold up as well as the ones that take me some time to click with.  We'll have to see how SF holds up.

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

That's kind of funny.  I have a coworker who claims that Desert's lyrics are too off-putting for him to enjoy the song, and insists he could "do entirely without 451 on the album".  (We enjoy quite a few of the same bands but seem to have polar-opposite tastes when it comes to which albums or tracks we favor.)  Honestly, I wasn't sure what to think of 451 when I first heard it.  That intro sounds like Brand New meets ZZ Top, and the chorus has a bit of a stadium-rock vibe... but damn if it's not a whole lot of fun.  I don't mind Desert at all either.  But considering how big of a Tumblr-following Brand New has, I wouldn't be surprise if a lot of people allowed the lyrical perspective to ruin it for them.

I can't pick any favorites yet since I've only given the album 3 listens.  Really trying to pace myself and draw out that initial "wonder" and charm of the first listens, when everything is fresh and new.  I will say that the album is way more consistent and enjoyable than I thought it would be.  Going back on a previous post of mine, my largest concern is indeed the fact that I enjoyed every track on the first go.  Some will probably grow on me more than others, but there was nothing that I didn't "get" on the first go, like there was on Daisy or even TDAG, back when I was a teen.  I find that albums that aren't immediately challenging don't exactly hold up as well as the ones that take me some time to click with.  We'll have to see how SF holds up.

I can connect with a lot of that-- my favorite albums tend to end up being the ones where I learn or hear something new each time and there's lots to explore. Some of my favorite bands took me months or years to "get". When I love an album on first listen I tend to tire of it more quickly. I don't necessarily think that'll happen with Science Fiction, but I hope it doesn't because this thing blew my expectations out of the water.

59 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

Either Desert or 451. The only standout in a negative way is Could Never Be Heaven.

That's ridiculous. Could Never Be Heaven is incredible. 

Give it another listen when you've settled down with a girl and a family is on the horizon. It hit home the first time I heard it. 

Love the intro/outro tracks. I think the only weak songs are Waste (just seems a little unremarkable) and No Control for the same reason despite channeling some nice Deja/YFW vibes. Desert is a little weird, doesn't sound like something I'd expect from them, but great in the context of the album and killer guitar playing. Not quite as good as Devil and God but definitely phenomenal.

57 minutes ago, rooks said:

Give it another listen when you've settled down with a girl and a family is on the horizon. It hit home the first time I heard it. 

I just thought it was kinda cheesy and I've heard a lot of songs like it before. The latter point isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I think it compounds with the cheese. Yeah, I've got a girlfriend I've been seeing for a long time and yeah I love her very much, but even if the song is relatable I can't help but roll my eyes a bit.

Quick edit: I think it speaks numbers about the quality of the album that everyone has a different favorite & least favorite

Edited by DOMAN127

25 minutes ago, jaedong said:

Love the intro/outro tracks. I think the only weak songs are Waste (just seems a little unremarkable) and No Control for the same reason despite channeling some nice Deja/YFW vibes. Desert is a little weird, doesn't sound like something I'd expect from them, but great in the context of the album and killer guitar playing. Not quite as good as Devil and God but definitely phenomenal.

Damn. Waste is one of my favorite tracks next to In The Water. But to each their own. Also love 147 and Out of Mana. 

10 hours ago, rooks said:

Agreed.  I listed while reading the lyrics and it got me going

Just now, mr. sincere said:

Perhaps even more 'ridiculous' than someone's opinion about a song is making fun of them for it because you have a different life experience?

I'm messing around with him Mr. Sincere. It's obviously fine for him to not like a song that I like. A little jab at his age and suggesting that the math doesn't check out on a "long time" with a girl isn't overly offensive. 

But thank you for your input!

53 minutes ago, Tidal Wave said:

Agreed.  I listed while reading the lyrics and it got me going

The lyrics are pretty swell all around. I haven't done a total deep dive yet, but the obvious Strangelove influence on 137, as well as the less obvious Gravity's Rainbow reference got me going this morning when I caught it.

One of the best from 137 though is: 

Before the garden
When you were all alone
You made the atom
Was that some inside joke

Talking to God about making the Atom/Adam. The destructive force of nuclear weapons and man.

Dang Jesse, you deep.

Edited by rooks

This record has grown on me over the last few days.

Track 2 is still the standout for me and the Daisy-ish moments still bug me (mainly that 'blues-y stomper' near the end) but the slower middle section is pretty solid Brand New. This is a perfect follow up to Devil and God. Just a bummer that it took 11 years to happen.