PO - Brand New - Science Fiction

On 8/25/2017 at 4:30 PM, highfives said:

After a week of listening, I'm really into this record: Weezer and Alice In Chains rip-offs aside.  I'm not really into Brand New, I don't own any of their records or anything, but I will probably end up picking this up if it continues to stay in rotation.

I need someone to explain exactly where they're hearing Weezer or AiC influence in any of these songs. 

4 minutes ago, bluescreenlife said:

I need someone to explain exactly where they're hearing Weezer or AiC influence in any of these songs. 

There is a bass and drum rhythm during a verse in one song that sounds like In The Garage, and people are being dramatic calling it a rip off. Don't know the STOLEN AND PLAGIARIZED Alice in Chains bit though.  

5 hours ago, bluescreenlife said:

Track two verse is literally In The Garage.  You can sing the lyrics to In The Garage over the song.

I can't remember which song on the Brand New album is the Alice In Chains song.  I'll have to listen to it again.  But it's really similar to a song off of Jar of Flies.

edit:  In The Water / Rotten Apple

Edited by highfives

Not sure if posted yet, but Indie is up on Looney Tunes http://ltcds.com/product/brand-new-science-fiction-vinyl-lp-indie-exclusive-variant-pre-order-out-10202017/

Their inventory seems a bit out of whack though, so I'm not sure if they'll cancel orders or not. Either way, starting to feel more and more like this version won't be overly difficult to grab as the release date approaches.

18 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Yes, you're not a real record collector unless you spend $40 in gas to drive out of town opposed to paying a store $4 to ship it to your door.

Hey you said it, not me.

But really, I don't have a "local" record store.  Closest one is about 25 minutes or so from me (in a different town).  Probably doesn't even cost me $10 in gas to get there.

3 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

25 minutes away...is local.

What's considered "not local" then?  Genuinely curious.  Cause Rambo says driving out of town to use $40 worth of gas is considered not local.  And I'm still driving out of town 25 minutes, but not using $40 worth of gas.

Is there a certain "minutes to gas" ration that comes into play?  Or is it just anywhere that's more than an hour away?

There are record stores in the same city as me that can easily take 30+ minutes to get to...

I used to have to drive about an hour to get to my local record store.

So sure, if you are more than an hour away from a record store, then Ill accept when you say you don't have any local shops .

($40 in gas implies more like a 10 hour round trip drive).

7 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

There are record stores in the same city as me that can easily take 30+ minutes to get to...

I used to have to drive about an hour to get to my local record store.

So sure, if you are more than an hour away from a record store, then Ill accept when you say you don't have any local shops .

($40 in gas implies more like a 10 hour round trip drive).

Fair enough.

But can we all agree that it's not completely insane for a Brand New fan to take a 10 hour drive to pick up an exclusive variant?

1 minute ago, FiggyPud said:

Fair enough.

But can we all agree that it's not completely insane for a Brand New fan to take a 10 hour drive to pick up an exclusive variant?

I've drove 10hr round trip for a variant of a record before...(wasn't brand new).

Not sure why it would be insane.  In one instance it was either drive that far and pay $30 for a record...or buy it for $1,000 on ebay.

Edited by stl_ben