PO - Brand New - Science Fiction

38 minutes ago, Tommy said:

VC: record flipping is taboo, CD flipping is praised. Got it

Flipping: To buy and resell (a house, for example) in a short period of time for a profit.

Nobody bought a CD. The product description was "very limited vinyl". This is a vinyl forum not a CD forum so some people aren't going to care about a CD. This is not the same situation as purposefully seeking out limited items with the intent to cash in on people who missed out.

To elaborate on the subject, I think you are getting caught up in the intent of the purchase. To me, that's irrelevant, if you buy with the intent to flip, or buy as a fan only to see a good market for re-sale and decide later on to engage in the profits I see no difference.

There is also the reasoning for entering the secondary market:

"I'm cashing in to pay for my dying mother's cancer treatment" --- good for you, hope she gets better

"I'm cashing in because I saw market demand and I can ask unreasonable prices" -- screw you, asshole flipper

11 minutes ago, Tommy said:

To elaborate on the subject, I think you are getting caught up in the intent of the purchase. To me, that's irrelevant, if you buy with the intent to flip, or buy as a fan only to see a good market for re-sale and decide later on to engage in the profits I see no difference.

"I'm cashing in to pay for my dying mother's cancer treatment" --- good for you, hope she gets better

"I'm cashing in because I saw market demand and I can ask unreasonable prices" -- screw you, asshole flipper

go smoke a j

36 minutes ago, Tommy said:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure a lot of those "cancer treatment" and "house purchase" and "must pay for tuition" posts are bullshit.  Sellers think it will give them an edge somehow if they make it some sort of charity, like that will be the straw that broke the buyer's back.  There is one guy on the vinylcollectors subreddit who always has some new sob story every time he lists 30 records each month. 

I'm gonna take the taoist approach with the CD and have no expectations, that way I cannot be disappointed :)

There are times I want to sell things like these, I too could use an extra $300, but the times I have I've often regretted it later, once that money is gone. I can earn money other ways, I can't produce another collectible from one of my favorite bands in other ways. 

44 minutes ago, bluescreenlife said:

I'm gonna take the taoist approach with the CD and have no expectations, that way I cannot be disappointed :)

There are times I want to sell things like these, I too could use an extra $300, but the times I have I've often regretted it later, once that money is gone. I can earn money other ways, I can't produce another collectible from one of my favorite bands in other ways. 

I agree with you there. As a collector, sometimes when I see the resale value of something increase, it makes me want to keep it even more. Just knowing that if I sell it I may never have a chance to purchase it again makes it that much more valuable to me. It really depends on the item though. I feel like a hoarder sometimes..

1 minute ago, dirtydebutant said:

id probably listen to the CD more often than the record to be honest.. CDs is so convenient when you are doing other hand consuming things. 

You could just burn a new one then, or listen to the free digital copy that is included. It is kind of cool that the limited cd is one file. You have to listen to it as a whole album and not skip around like a normal cd.

1 minute ago, Cardboard_Robot said:

You could just burn a new one then, or listen to the free digital copy that is included. It is kind of cool that the limited cd is one file. You have to listen to it as a whole album and not skip around like a normal cd.

i could burn one but i like having the real thing, i put a lot of sentimental value in that. I hate Mp3s other than convenience on the go but when i have access to physical formats, id rather play a reel big fish cd 10 times in a row than listen to mp3s.  Only thing i hate about the bonus cd is that its in an enveloppe and not a case that will fit with the others and that i will have to be super careful so my cat cannot access the sleeve and destroys it..  but its not a real problem since i didnt even receive one. 

1 minute ago, dirtydebutant said:

i could burn one but i like having the real thing, i put a lot of sentimental value in that. I hate Mp3s other than convenience on the go but when i have access to physical formats, id rather play a reel big fish cd 10 times in a row than listen to mp3s.  Only thing i hate about the bonus cd is that its in an enveloppe and not a case that will fit with the others and that i will have to be super careful so my cat cannot access the sleeve and destroys it..  but its not a real problem since i didnt even receive one. 

I did not get one either. A little late to the party. I understand the sentiment though, I prefer physical media even if it is a cd or a cassette for that matter. I am just really happy I can listen to the new album now and purchase it later when it is widely available. It's a damn good album. Can't wait to spin the real thing.

3 hours ago, dirtydebutant said:

What's with the RBF hate? "Why Do they Rock so Hard?" and "Turn the Radio off" are classics!