PO - Brand New - Science Fiction

But for real.  It would be a shame if these accusations are proven to be true, but I guess that just means we can't be supporting Brand New releases in 2018 and onward.  On paper Jesse seems stable enough – he's a guy who's married and has a kid of his own, right? – but that doesn't necessarily rule out shit from his past.  To play devil's advocate, someone did dig up the girl's Tumblr and (for what it's worth) she's apparently been wrestling with a bipolar disorder, OCD, and a panic disorder for a while now.  Not that any of these things discredit her accusations.  But if her reputation is truly on the line and she has access to proof in the form of Skype logs or whatever, but refuses to dig them up because of the discomfort they cause, I can't not raise a brow, personally.  If you're going to make accusations and have the means of validating them, fine.  But if your proof is down on an old hard drive in your basement, and you don't feel like going down there to retrieve files that indisputably prove your case, you may as well be grasping for straws and slandering.  That's how I feel about it, anyway.

Guilty or not, the whole situation will definitely lose Brand New some fans.  There's always going to be a group who insist that newfound details of one member's personal life somehow negates everything the band has ever done, and dismisses a decade or two of your enjoyment of the band.  I'm not here to call out anyone who's unable to separate the art from the artist, but burning your records or selling merch you've purchased in the past doesn't seem like it accomplishes a lot, in the present.  Not to me, anyway.  But I do encourage that crowd to cancel their deluxe Science Fiction orders since they technically haven't shipped yet.  PayPal should be able to set that up nicely.

32 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

On paper Jesse seems stable enough – he's a guy who's married and has a kid of his own, right? – but that doesn't necessarily rule out shit from his past.

Married guys with kids do shitty stuff sometimes, just like everyone else.

33 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

...she's apparently been wrestling with a bipolar disorder, OCD, and a panic disorder for a while now.  Not that any of these things discredit her accusations.  But...

Just no.

16 minutes ago, conedust said:

Married guys with kids do shitty stuff sometimes, just like everyone else.

Just no.

Did you not read the part where I acknowledged that marriage and a family isn't a free pass for shitty past events?  Because I literally said that.  Did you just froth at the mouth over the first part of my post?

And you're right, my mistake.  We can't draw correlations or consider possibilities if it means evaluating anyone who suffers from any kind of mental disorder.  Can't afford to victimize anyone in 2017.

On 11/11/2017 at 10:01 AM, Derek™ said:

But I do encourage that crowd to cancel their deluxe Science Fiction orders since they technically haven't shipped yet.  PayPal should be able to set that up nicely.

Deluxe edition bowls sound nice.

Edited by anightdrive

I went to college (and still live) in Albany, NY and I have friends who grew up on L.I. in the Wantagh/Bellmore/Levittown area (that I went to school with) that knew/know many of the prominent bands from that area (you can probably guess who) and pretty much all through my tenure in college hung out with many people from that area of L.I. I heard numerous stories about several people in those bands that have done slimey shit. I'm not trying to throw gas on the fire or words in any mouths but this unfortunately doesn't surprise me at all. This is really sad to hear and probably only the beginning. 

38 minutes ago, rooks said:

Of all days to stumble across 16 bucks lol.

has been selling for pretty much £30 over here for a while saw it for £20 on amazon n jumped immediately. In retrospect I should probably be more bummed that I only painted this for my wall like a week ago.

22769604_10159495941890181_8541854530714

Edited by Stress On The Sky

7 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Someone please explain the "welp there's new allegations about a band member so now I guess I can't enjoy this album held in classic regard for the last 11 years" meme to me.  Because I feel like I'm missing something.

I think it's just because people can't think for themselves. If it's true I'll still consider them one of my favorite bands, almost unrelated but I still listen to Whirr too and they lost an entire fanbase from a single tweet. 

23 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Someone please explain the "welp there's new allegations about a band member so now I guess I can't enjoy this album held in classic regard for the last 11 years" meme to me.  Because I feel like I'm missing something.

I'm not saying I won't ever listen again or that I'll like those albums less, I'm just echoing the opinions that it will suck if its true because whilst I accept all human beings as flawed it does leave a bitter taste in the mouth knowing  that someone whose art you enjoy is possibly a creepy asshole and just highlighting the irony of having just put money down and effort into something to do with a band whose reputation may well end up in the gutter. Ultimately noone knows anything yet except the parties involved and it may well stay that way even after  everyones made their cases in support or against these accusations.

Edited by Stress On The Sky

15 minutes ago, Codyoster said:

I think it's just because people can't think for themselves. If it's true I'll still consider them one of my favorite bands, almost unrelated but I still listen to Whirr too and they lost an entire fanbase from a single tweet. 

Good example.  I still have my Whirr albums and enjoy revisiting them, regardless.  And the Gira accusations – which were never proved, but defended by several people include his ex-wife – didn't detract from my ability to enjoy Swans, personally.  I totally get sticking to your moral guns and opting to not support a band because of one individual, but by all means... do that by opting to not see them in concert.  By not pre-ordering their new albums.  By not wearing their merch in public, if you want.  But like in the case of Whirr... Distressor still holds up well for me.  And when I'm listening to it – as I've heard it many, many times before all the Twitter fueds – I am not hearing the walls of guitar and thinking "hmm.  Somewhere in there is Nick Bassett, strumming along.  That homophobic piece of shit.  Completely tarnishes this album for me."  It could be a stretch, but I guess I can understand allowing allegations to effect how you feel about future releases.  Like it may be tough for some people to differentiate the vocals from the artist, going forward.  But for albums that've been with you for years?  I'll never get that.  If these Lacey allegations are proven true, I don't think I'll ever revisit TDAG and think to myself "wow, I can't believe I've never noticed how much of a pedophile Jesse sounds in You Won't Know.  Guess I'm done with this record."  This whole scenario may be different if Brand New was a solo project; written, fronted, and performed by Lacey.  But I think it's a serious disservice to completely throw out everyone's contributions over something that may or may not have happened X years ago.  Accardi's songwriting and parts – especially on Science Fiction, where they're next level – shouldn't have to be cheapened because of that.

I am hardly a Brand New fanboy and I'm viewing this whole scenario with as little bias as humanly possible.  Just my 2¢.

19 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

I'm not saying I won't ever listen again or that I'll like those albums less, I'm just echoing the opinions that it will suck if its true because whilst I accept all human beings as flawed it does leave a bitter taste in the mouth knowing  that someone whose art you enjoy is possibly a creepy asshole and just highlighting the irony of having just put money down and effort into something to do with a band whose reputation may well end up in the gutter. Ultimately noone knows anything yet except the parties involved and it may well stay that way even after  everyones made their cases in support or against these accusations.

That's fair.  I'd just encourage you [and everyone else] to keep their wits about them until we get some concrete evidence.  No need to regret Brand New tattoos or wall murals or eBay splurges until we can get some confirmation that what happened actually happened.  Of course their reputation is unfortunately tarnished to some degree, regardless of the outcome, but at the end of the day it's hearsay until something concrete surfaces.  (See: Conor Oberst accusations.)

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

That's fair.  I'd just encourage you [and everyone else] to keep their wits about them until we get some concrete evidence.  No need to regret Brand New tattoos or wall murals or eBay splurges until we can get some confirmation that what happened actually happened.  Of course their reputation is unfortunately tarnished to some degree, regardless of the outcome, but at the end of the day it's hearsay until something concrete surfaces.  (See: Conor Oberst accusations.)

I mean ultimately I have a few paintings that go up on rotation on my wall and most of the people who visit my pad don't even get what they are about so I'm not gonna lose sleep over a painting its just weird timing that after 11 years of loving the album I decide to do that one week before they're likely to be put on blast.

Totally agree that only time will tell how much creedence these accusations actually deserve.

I haven't thrown out my Ducktails/Matthew Mondanile albums out. I likely never will.  Are they going to be at the top of my relisten pile anytime soon? Probably not, either.

Imagine if Bowie had his Hitler moment today. Most of us who forgave him that in the intervening decades (He'd been on a year-long diet of coke, cigarettes and milk, lighting black candles to ward away Jimmy Page, as Los Angeles consumed him into deranged paranoia) would not forgive him today.

EDIT:  Yes, sexual assault and shit with minors is not comparable to some pro-Nazi salute and outfit. I get that.

Edited by armadillo01

20 minutes ago, armadillo01 said:

I haven't thrown out my Ducktails/Matthew Mondanile albums out. I likely never will.  Are they going to be at the top of my relisten pile anytime soon? Probably not, either.

Imagine if Bowie had his Hitler moment today. Most of us who forgave him that in the intervening decades (He'd been on a year-long diet of coke, cigarettes and milk, lighting black candles to ward away Jimmy Page, as Los Angeles consumed him into deranged paranoia) would not forgive him today.

EDIT:  Yes, sexual assault and shit with minors is not comparable to some pro-Nazi salute and outfit. I get that.

You do know David Bowie also deflowered a 14 year old girl as an adult though, right? Like...it's not a secret. So it's perfectly fair to compare him in this case.

And Steven Tyler was living with a 14 year old girl when he was 27.

6 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

You do know David Bowie also deflowered a 14 year old girl as an adult though, right? Like...it's not a secret. So it's perfectly fair to compare him in this case.

Didn't know that he hooked up with those famous teen groupies. I figured the madness got to him first. I'm actually dismayed Mattix's story isn't part of his Wiki.