PO - Brand New - Science Fiction

22 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Lmao yeah I'm the one that's riled up gathering up all your old posts. I still feel great about them thanks for showing off how eloquent I am. 

Edit: here have another special trophy for your special sleuthing.

Not much to dig up. Only had to go back the last 5 pages of this thread.

2 minutes ago, tug said:

sunshine you are on a roll in this thread lighting everyone up, dishing out 3rd degree burns left and right.  you are shining like the sun!

Hey thanks man! Finally someone sane gets it... that shitposter is just trying to raise his post count and get free trophies what a stinker.

48 minutes ago, Satan said:

Maybe not the same context as the original, but it's the age thing. The manipulation. Etc, etc. 

I guess so. 

Ithink there's a huge difference between a man in his twenties manipulating a 14/15 year old, and a woman who, for the majority of the time, was an adult. 17-25 years old isn't super young, and in NY age of consent is 17. I'm not saying what he did wasn't wrong, but it's a world of difference from soliciting nudes from an underage girl.

Just now, conedust said:

A different situation, sure, but one that echoes what he's accused of: using his celebrity to seduce & sexually manipulate very young girls.

I think there's a huge difference between doing something immoral and illegal though. 

Onehe's just a scumbag, as are tons of celebrities, the other he's a scumbag and a criminal. And a pedophile, which to me is the worst part.

It's sad that the band is wrapping up an amazing career by this time next year and this happens and totally derails a lot.  Its even sadder for any of the victims don't get me wrong.  I just feel bad for Vin, Brian, and everyone else.  This may actually be the end of Brand New.  Sucks to put out a stellar closing album and then your lead singer turns out to be an even huger scumbag then thought.

Well, nice thread. Got three or four new VC posters I know are awful people.

On 11/11/2017 at 12:01 PM, Derek™ said:

To play devil's advocate, someone did dig up the girl's Tumblr and (for what it's worth) she's apparently been wrestling with a bipolar disorder, OCD, and a panic disorder for a while now.  Not that any of these things discredit her accusations.  But if her reputation is truly on the line and she has access to proof in the form of Skype logs or whatever, but refuses to dig them up because of the discomfort they cause, I can't not raise a brow, personally.

Easily the grossest thing I've read on here.

2 hours ago, Burkazoid said:

The UK and Ireland shows have been "postponed".

https://www.facebook.com/BrandNew/posts/10155926564003023

ok so the rumors were true.

1 hour ago, njpunkmusic said:

It's sad that the band is wrapping up an amazing career by this time next year and this happens and totally derails a lot.  Its even sadder for any of the victims don't get me wrong.  I just feel bad for Vin, Brian, and everyone else.  This may actually be the end of Brand New.  Sucks to put out a stellar closing album and then your lead singer turns out to be an even huger scumbag then thought.

looks like they are wrapping up an "amazing" career at this time this year now.

43 minutes ago, daniel said:

Easily the grossest thing I've read on here.

“I am going to completely smear this man’s reputation after a decade by revisiting this experience and bringing it to the public.  I could potentially prove that what I am saying is 100% true, but I don’t know if I feel like revisiting the experience.”

Alright man.  Because that logic doesn’t necessarily check out to me, I guess I’m disgusting?  Great to know.  It’s also worth noting that I made that post as soon as the first accusation was made, well before Jesse’s statement.  Fuck me for trying to keep a rational head and consider a larger picture, right?  I still refer to the Conor Oberst incident, where a lot of people jumped the gun and immediately assumed he was a piece of shit without a shred of evidence.  Did you scoff at those people too?  What happens when the accused culprit turns out to be innocent?  “Oh, whoops, looks like you guys were right and the whole thing was fabricated.  My bad! lol”  Am I close?

But the fact Jesse made his statement after my post, and didn’t even address the age gap, is certainly concerning and really makes it impossible for anyone to defend him.  Wish it wasn’t the case, but short of spelling out exactly what happened, I think we can all deduct that he’s rightfully in hot water and that more claims will bubble up to the surface, from the sounds of it.

not surprising to see people trying to minimize this.  this is not a one-time issue.  its just one time you all know about.  I am hoping more women speak up and out again him and other adults who take advantage of the young and naive.  

Edited by ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

not surprising to see people trying to minimize this.  this is not a one-time issue.  its just one time you all know about.  I am hoping more women speak up and out again him and other adults who take advantage of the young and naive.  

Outside of maybe the 1% elsewhere on the internet, with Brand New tattoos and a few pairs of blinders, who’s minimizing this?

34 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

“I am going to completely smear this man’s reputation after a decade by revisiting this experience and bringing it to the public.  I could potentially prove that what I am saying is 100% true, but I don’t know if I feel like revisiting the experience.”

Alright man.  Because that logic doesn’t necessarily check out to me, I guess I’m disgusting?  Great to know.  It’s also worth noting that I made that post as soon as the first accusation was made, well before Jesse’s statement.  Fuck me for trying to keep a rational head and consider a larger picture, right?  I still refer to the Conor Oberst incident, where a lot of people jumped the gun and immediately assumed he was a piece of shit without a shred of evidence.  Did you scoff at those people too?  What happens when the accused culprit turns out to be innocent?  “Oh, whoops, looks like you guys were right and the whole thing was fabricated.  My bad! lol”  Am I close?

But the fact Jesse made his statement after my post, and didn’t even address the age gap, is certainly concerning and really makes it impossible for anyone to defend him.  Wish it wasn’t the case, but short of spelling out exactly what happened, I think we can all deduct that he’s rightfully in hot water and that more claims will bubble up to the surface, from the sounds of it.

You're starting from a position that the victim is not credible and then you proceeded to look through their social media account looking for clues.  That is not what I'd call a rational response. 

What are the characteristics of a credible victim? Is there a consistent enough set of behaviors amongst all victims of this kind of crime that one can confidently decide which are credible? Who decides whether a victim's behavior, absent of the law's assessment, is credible or believable or correct? Would that person need any training or skills to be able to confidently make those assessments? If there is an absence of enough information to answer any of these questions reliably, what do the national statistics on victims of this crime say about false reports?

As boring as they are, those are rational questions you might ask if your gut instinct is to doubt the victim. Instead, what a lot of people have done, is try to improvise their own theory or philosophy on assault using very faulty information (such as their love of Brand New/Jesse Lacey, their memory of the Conor Oberst case, their gut feelings about women, their gut feelings about men, and, in extreme cases, overt propaganda against women). It makes total sense that you'd mishandle the reaction to this if you're cranking out a hot take on the fly but, if you really are trying to be rational and helpful, please be open to your initial assessment being misguided. Please don't double down on your on-the-fly hot take when you're presented with information that is new to you in regards to this specific case and also sexual assault/harassment cases, in general. The person "correcting" you may be doing it in a dickish way and I know it sucks to have someone mock or push back against something you came up with but please temporarily overlook that frustration and be open to the idea that women have some decent information to add to your perspective and that phrases like "believe victims" are used for a reason and that reason isn't to eradicate due process of law or to personally emasculate the male gender.

There will be bad dudes who will delight in running victims through the mud, making LOL memes about sexual assault, and pretending to love sexual harassers/assaulters. Don't fall on their side of this stuff. Be OK with making mistakes and improving your reactions to these stories. At the very least, if you're not ready to go full 'believe victims', give the person speaking out a little more space and don't be the 100th dude saying "What happened to innocent until proven guilty/It says on her Tumblr that she is bipolar/She could have lied to him about her age" etc etc.