PO: Taylor Swift - Reputation (out on 11/10)

The first single is interesting despite the aural edging of the chorus.  Its not a total fail, but its a terrible first single. I like the darker sound. But Ready for It and Gorgeous are straight up solid TS songs with an electro pop sound and I think an natural progression from a few of the 1989 tracks (bad Blood remix and into the Woods in particular).  I really think LWYMMD left a bad taste in peoples mouths and has skewed their view of the follow up singles. 

Edited by timsimmons

Oh wow.

The video for RFI is such a stretch at scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas to be inventive and videos-as-mini-movies like back in the late 90's/early 00's. It's obvious that Joseph Kahn has run out of ideas on videos for Swift. This mess is nothing but a re-re-appropriation & rip-off of Ghost In The Shell and Blade Runner and every sci-fi film & anime of the ilk that there could ever be. Fuck, even Tron with the wannabe light-up bodysuit. 

Just now, Derek™ said:

I think the fact that you're still retaining any semblance of faith, at this point, is pretty commendable.

I understand musical progression, but I don't see this as progression... so I don't understand why she would move away from the 1989 sound that put her on a whole new level.

But with that said, there are still 11 more tracks yet to be released... so there could be something good in there.

2 minutes ago, aju2streets said:

Any release date on the FYE sign?

From what I discussed with Drew last night offline, sounds like Friday 11/10. He will double-check. I have a couple of FYE's near me when I'm out on the road...so will likely pop in one of them to check and buy if they have it.

Just now, jhulud said:

From what I discussed with Drew last night offline, sounds like Friday 11/10. He will double-check. I have a couple of FYE's near me when I'm out on the road...so will likely pop in one of them to check and buy if they have it.

Oh wow, it seems like if it's ready to go for the release date they'd have standard copies to pre-order too though? But who knows

it's been brought to my attention that taylor swift might be linked to nazism and white supremacy. 

whole article available here: http://popfront.us/2017/09/swiftly-to-the-alt-right-taylor-subtly-get-the-lower-case-kkk-in-formation/

"Taylor’s are lyrics that connect with whites that are concerned with what they see as the white dispossession of power. Breitbart highlighted another lyric on Twitter, the line, “but I got smarter, I got harder in the nick of time. Honey, I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time.” The lyrics were paired with the image of a story about a loophole for buying AR-15s. And the lyrics speak to even more than just unnecessary gun glorification but also to the white people who have been closeted racists for years. Later in the song, there is another telling line: “I don’t like your kingdom keys. They once belonged to me. You asked me for a place to sleep. Locked me out and threw a feast (what?).” These lyrics are the most explicit in speaking to white anger and affirming white supremacy. The lyrics speak to the white people resentful of any non-white person having a position of power and privilege. Think of Barack  Obama: the fears of white dispossession of power were actualized in his success, which was a huge factor in the appeal of candidate Trump. He is a patriarchal, rich white man that embodied the anger and white supremacist ideology."

images from article:

taylor-swift_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqGMq5ahi0R

nuremberg-germany-rudolf-hess-highrankin

I’m trying to understand this, in the press/ social media/whatever, there seems to be a massive backlash? Is it because she’s too popular? Or because she’s very controlling of managing the public’s perception of her? 

It cant just because because she lied about the Kanye thing and then dropped a bunk first single. Im not really seeing her as doing anything different from the last 2 albums, so I’m trying to figure out the disconnect this go round. 

Edited by timsimmons