Sign in to follow this  
War-Admirator

Cleaned Vinyl with Windex - now it crackles

Good job lads. I think this might be the first time OP didn't throw a tantrum after a bit of light comedy. I'm guessing his German "windex" is probably much closer to being safe to use than ours. Actual windex is full of chemicals that just stick inside the grooves and dry. Ruining the record.

Thinks to know:

Tug is ridiculous

We don't like Reddit vinyl collectors 

We hate our forum owners

We are all hypocrites

4 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Good job lads. I think this might be the first time OP didn't throw a tantrum after a bit of light comedy. I'm guessing his German "windex" is probably much closer to being safe to use than ours. Actual windex is full of chemicals that just stick inside the grooves and dry. Ruining the record.

Thinks to know:

Tug is ridiculous

We don't like Reddit vinyl collectors 

We hate our forum owners

We are all hypocrites

To be fair, I have seen (1) record shop here in Portland cleaning records with windex. I was...perplexed to say the least. Needless to say, I no longer go to that record store.

Its the ammonia in it. Softens and hazes plastic. Did it to my scooter windshield once and left a terrible haze on it. Realized afterwards that was stupid of me, as its a GLASS cleaner. They make multi surface cleaner that basically omits the ammonia and keeps the amino alcohol and solvents. All plastics react differently but ammonia and plastic are generally no good.