U2 - Songs of Experience

2 hours ago, YouTwo said:

So glad I decided to jump back into this podcast.  I'm almost through all the album episodes and then I'll go back and listen to the ones in between.  But I'm going to listen to this one to get me hyped for Friday.

The slowing it down with Paul F Tompkins is probably my favorite episode of all 24. 90 min of getting Paul to tell Scott and Scott his experience with U2.  So good. 

3 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

The slowing it down with Paul F Tompkins is probably my favorite episode of all 24. 90 min of getting Paul to tell Scott and Scott his experience with U2.  So good. 

Was that the first "Slowing It Down?"  I think I skipped that one but remember seeing his name on an episode.  

I finally found a good rip. Its a really good U2 album. I don't think its one of the best albums of the year (like Rolling Stone has), but yeah, this is probably their best album of the past 20 years.  No massive singles like Beautiful Day or Walk On,  but no wank like No Line on the Horizon.  It sounds modern U2 without sounding forced. Production is nice. 

My only ding against it is that they lean too heavily on repeating the hook/chorus/title too much in the last thirds of some of the songs (Blackout/American Soul/Get Out of Your Own Way). Maybe the only miss is the Showman. 

Anyway C+

17 hours ago, lethalenforcer said:

I prefer the Bruce Springsteen version of "Get On Your Boots".

You know, a lot of people type "lol" on an given website and maybe they are not really laughing out loud. But, I read this and legit howled out loud with laughter.

13 hours ago, timsimmons said:

Also, I don’t pray to god, but I will if it gets us an REM themed show from Scott and Scott. 

YES. And I'm not even that big of an REM fan.

20 hours ago, timsimmons said:

For non-album episodes, I personally prefer "Staind Glass". The 10-15 minute segment where Scott plays a bunch of stuff to see if Todd Glass can identify it as U2 or not is downright hysterical.

The samples played on ep 24 were perfect to whet my appetite for SoE. I didn't hear anything that would suggest it's this otherworldly album though, but we're talking about 30 second samples here, and I nonetheless can't wait to get my LP on Friday and dig deep on it.

3 minutes ago, DASiano said:

You know, a lot of people type "lol" on an given website and maybe they are not really laughing out loud. But, I read this and legit howled out loud with laughter.

YES. And I'm not even that big of an REM fan.

For non-album episodes, I personally prefer "Staind Glass". The 10-15 minute segment where Scott plays a bunch of stuff to see if Todd Glass can identify it as U2 or not is downright hysterical.

The samples played on ep 24 were perfect to whet my appetite for SoE. I didn't hear anything that would suggest it's this otherworldly album though, but we're talking about 30 second samples here, and I nonetheless can't wait to get my LP on Friday and dig deep on it.

I only got through half of Ep 24 because I just listen to bits on my commute, but I've really liked the samples I heard before and Scott and Scott seem genuinely excited about it when they're talking about it.  

Got my copy today-the translucent cyan looks awesome. Goes great with the whole packaging aesthetic.

This is first on my to do list Monday and I can't wait to hear it in full through my setup.

That said, my download code did not work. Not sure if it's worth the hassle of opening a ticket with The Sound Of Vinyl support, of if I should simply pony up for a digital version.

• 2 months later...