PO Now: 2814 - 新しい日の誕生 (ltd violet vinyl)

7 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Whoa.  It's almost like they're favoring the people who want to own and hear this over the people who want to own it for its scarcity.

Nobody is against people having access to the vinyl, but there is a correct way to go about doing an unlimited run, and this has not been it.

I'll fully admit that locking in an order within the few hours it was available, yesterday, felt pretty good.  Especially seeing it sold out; it made me feel like I had made the right decision in time.  I've wanted to own this album for a while now but never felt like paying $100+ for it on Discogs.  Colored repress at less than half the price?  I'm down.  Muh rarity aside, everything about this PO is appealing to me.  And considering how fast it sold out yesterday, I'm sure a lot of people missed the boat.  Sure, I'd feel a bit more special if yesterday's alottment was violet and the remaining "mass" order was black.  But I'm also pushing 30 and sort of over the special-snowflake mentality.  An album I've wanted to own is no longer /1,000; considering the state of the world and everything happening right now, I think I can live with that.  Maybe I'll snap a photo of the center label and make it the wallpaper on my phone.

7 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

(If this appears at Bull Moose for $15 cheaper I'll adjust my stance and consider being miffed, but for the time being I don't see that happening.)

Yeah, I'm right there with you. This may end up popping up on Bleep or something, but I'd imagine the price difference would be negligible. 

Just now, natenomm said:

Yeah, I'm right there with you. This may end up popping up on Bleep or something, but I'd imagine the price difference would be negligible. 

I actually emailed Bleep and they told me:

"Yes, we are expecting to receive the 2814 vinyl represses however these are not available to pre-order just yet. "

Their shipping, at least, is cheaper for me to the US.  No word on prices of albums yet.

Yeah, it doesn't matter whatsoever that this is going to be more readily available--it's a good thing.

It was just misleading and poor judgement on the label's end, whenever a pressing ends up being a higher quantity than originally stated it's always met with negative backlash which is why its so silly to see it continuously done. They could have opted for black or a different color but yeah, it's arbitrary--it might have made more sense on their end to actually press a different color for peeps with the double-dip mentality. I don't know if that would have been more costly though. 

I'm glad people are able to get it and I'm not mad about it, I just probably wouldn't have dished out so much yesterday and waited an extra month or so. (If they'd be available by then, I'm not really sure) 

"Second Pressing" on the label is definitely enough, I can't remember what was the differentiation on Brand New's Deja (First press w/o barcode vs second press w/barcode?) All I remember is, someone offered me $50 more for it because it had a meaningless indicator of first pressing. 

Everybody wins--even though the label could have handled it better. 

3 hours ago, Multiverse said:

Yeah, it doesn't matter whatsoever that this is going to be more readily available--it's a good thing.

It was just misleading and poor judgement on the label's end, whenever a pressing ends up being a higher quantity than originally stated it's always met with negative backlash which is why its so silly to see it continuously done. They could have opted for black or a different color but yeah, it's arbitrary--it might have made more sense on their end to actually press a different color for peeps with the double-dip mentality. I don't know if that would have been more costly though. 

I'm glad people are able to get it and I'm not mad about it, I just probably wouldn't have dished out so much yesterday and waited an extra month or so. (If they'd be available by then, I'm not really sure) 

"Second Pressing" on the label is definitely enough, I can't remember what was the differentiation on Brand New's Deja (First press w/o barcode vs second press w/barcode?) All I remember is, someone offered me $50 more for it because it had a meaningless indicator of first pressing. 

Everybody wins--even though the label could have handled it better. 

Very well said.  You make fair points for both sides.  Call me a negative nancy or whatever, but I guess the issue I'm having – and what I'm ridiculing – is the prioritization of FOMO.  I see it a lot on the boards but only really spoke up about it, tonight, because it pertains to a release that I also participated in paying for.  I guess I feel a little more weighed in to voice my 2¢ because I'm a customer who got "stung" like everyone else, instead of someone on the sidelines.

I think you and everyone else are 100% correct in saying that this "repress" could've been handled a whole lot better.  Doing a broader run on black vinyl would've made the most sense.  Or a separate variant /3,000 or /5,000.  Whatever DC sees fit, really.  It's nice to feel rewarded for being on the ball and ahead of the crowd – anyone who's been buying vinyl and variants for any amount of time can probably relate to that feeling.

But what my posts addressed were the people who basically lost interest in this release once it was determined that they're not getting a slice of a pie that's highly sought after.  Maybe it's too abrasive for some people to hear, but I genuinely feel like if you're relying on a record's rarity or FOMO to make a $50 purchase - as in, that's the driving factor, above the music itself - you probably shouldn't be lining up to buy said record in the first place.  I don't mean to sound condescending when I'm saying that, but I think it's super silly to be jazzed on a repress and then go soft once it's announced that a lot more people are going to have access to virtually the same exact product, even though they weren't glued to their phone or browsing VC during the 2 hours it was available.  Most of us are in the same boat – the boat where we wanted this album, but didn't want to pay $100 for it.  Some people are double-dipping just because, and that's fine too.  The point is that there's ample room on this boat.

Flippers are going to be salty about it and that's fine with me.  And like I said earlier today, I'll probably feel burned enough to go through the hoops of canceling my order if these do indeed show up for half the cost in a stateside distro, or something.  But I don't think the possible change in cost is what people are getting bent out of shape over.  I truly think it's the lack of rarity, and I also think that's pretty dumb.  Yeah, sure, it really sucks if you were misled to believe that you had to drop $45 yesterday, and now you're having to scrap by with Ramen meals or otherwise sweat until Friday, when it's payday.  But at the same time, I'm not 100% sure you should be buying vinyl so freely if a surprise $45 drop is going to disrupt your checking account for the remainder of the week.  But that's not really my place to say, you know?  Just an earnest observation and thought on it.

I guess at the end of the day, I'm siding with everyone who admits that they'd love to own one of the 1,000 copies of this reissue that went quick, and have something to show for it.  Maybe a holographic jacket or something snazzy.  I can see why people would feel like a tiny note on the center labels feels like a weak consolation prize for being among the first to order.  But more importantly, and on a much bigger scale, I'm stoked as hell to own an untouched copy of this album for under $50 PPD, and I'm glad more people can join me in that excitement.

Edited by Derek™

it appears they updated bandcamp

There are two 2017 pressings of this album:

Orders for first pressing are expected to ship in mid-October. (SOLD OUT)

Orders for second pressing are expected to ship in December (AVAILABLE) 

Please note that the second pressing will display ‘2nd 2017 edition’ on sleeve and disc labels.

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

it appears they updated bandcamp

There are two 2017 pressings of this album:

Orders for first pressing are expected to ship in mid-October. (SOLD OUT)

Orders for second pressing are expected to ship in December (AVAILABLE) 

Please note that the second pressing will display ‘2nd 2017 edition’ on sleeve and disc labels.

LOL