Simulated Stereo

justincb

I'm sure this has been said before,  but what do some of you think of simulated stereo?  I don't have as strong opinions as some people.  I have one record in simulated stereo that's amazing(the liner notes say up to 500 splices can be made to a single recording to remove pops and distortion) by Jack Elliot(on Everest Records, I think), and one that's terrible by Jimmie Rogers on RCA.  

Some are worse than others.  The Jimmie Rogers record has too much ambiance, and is artistically innaccurate because they put his guitar to one side and his voice to the other(he played guitar for himself).  If they had left most of the recording alone, and only changed the other instruments accompanying him(of which there weren't many or even any in his songs), it might have been good.  Most others I've listened to, there is a little bit of stereo effect, but not so much ambiance or such innaccurately aggressive simulated stereo.  The Jack Ellhot album is one of the rare ones where the simulated stereo works.  On it, Jack Elliot and annother man sing and play guitar and banjo.  Two artists, two channels, and people at Everest Records dedicated enough to make 500 splices to a single recording to remove pops and clicks really make simulated stereo work, and people at RCA looking to add a new buzzword to an old recording make simulated stereo sound bad.