Hurricane Irma vs. VC

jhulud

2 hours ago, scottheisel said:

To the VCers who stayed in FL, can I ask why? I'm having a really hard time fathoming why an able-bodied person would not evacuate if given the opportunity.

My wife is a physician and will be expected to work as soon as it's safe.

Also, I just waved at the fire truck as it turned around cuz my street is impassable.

Calm enough to run the generator, so that's good.

Looks like on my end (West Boca Raton) we have gone through the worst of it. Right now it's all just being windy and stormy (not much rain though) at least until late morning tomorrow...or today since it's 1:15am as I post this.

The power had been flickering on and off for hours and going and coming back and at one point around 8:30pm or so it just went. Came back at around 11:30pm or so which is very odd. So no idea if it had been power lines being touched or down altogether. Our cable TV (fuck you, Xfinity!) crapped out all the way early so we were in the dark for a few hours until able to get the radio working and piggy-backing on the station's broadcast.

We already stepped outside once the winds and rain puttered down and saw that some trees were down across the street from out neighbor's...thankfully on empty driveways. The entrance to our development looks to be flooded but the water is not anywhere reaching us. Smaller plants and brush got snapped and blown all over the place.

At this very moment...I'm on my work laptop with somewhat spotty wireless internet going on...the TV is not connecting at all to Xfinity (fuck you!)...barely any bars/dots on AT&T connection on my phone...but hey, fully charged...and the power is back on (it's a miracle...in a complete non-sarcastic way)...and just about to pass out.

If  anyone needs any helps or anything...please do not hesitate to reach out. We will do what we can to help each other out.

I live by a big empty field that has wires directing power all over the city and didn't lose water or internet once. My porch was also situated perfectly so I could sit on it during the worst part of the storm it was awesome watching trees and shit fall down. Including a big one on my parking space that we left empty. All in all this weekend was a great time though. My friends with no electricity are all bogarting my A/C in the living room.

Radioactive needs to open back up so I can buy the new National album.

Power has been coming and going. Had it for a good chunk of yesterday until 8:30pm. Came back around 7 this morning.

I've gone back into work for a bit and it's ridiculous out there on the roads with traffic lights being out. Some people are driving around like fuckin' maniacs with disregard to the hurricane rules of driving. Idiots.

As expected...things at home are tense to high hell after all the cabin fever and no A/C and no TV and just sick and tired of being around each other.

I feel for you Floridians. I was born and raised in Melbourne. My parents still there. I live 12 hours away.  I had to do some prodding to get them to leave the east coast when it looked like Irma was going that way.  Glad everyone made it through relatively well. 

7 minutes ago, VinylMario said:

How is everyone's preorders and shipments that everyone ordered before Irma are going? Have you been in contact with the postal service? Just thinking it's prolly chaotic out there

The mail has resumed here but I didn't have anything incoming as far as pre-orders or anything like that. I think only pre-orders I have waiting on are Brand New and Converge.