Cassette storage

There are a lot of used options but you'll need to be at the right thrift/antique store at the right time to grab them in person.

Otherwise, eBay has a bunch of options. A lot are priced way too high but you'll find decent listings every so often.

If anyone a link to a cost-effective new option, please do share. I ended up just building my own temporary options:

I bought some napa valley cases from someone off craigslist that didnt really know the cost or what they were worth

I got a 100 space and a 40 slot case for 30 total ANDDDD he had a grip of tapes that I gave him a 1.00 each for (deftones, korn, marilyn manson, a bunch of others)

Try stuff like that..never know..or yard sales!

• 2 weeks later...

The 100 space wall mounts were tempting, but my wife would have nothing of them, so I went for the 1980's style cabinets. Instead of the faux wood color, I waited for some Black units to show up at the thrift store. I have another one ready when these are full - which is pretty close. (This discgear CD holder is for my 'mixtape' CDs I burn)

Pm4zDmc.jpg?1C0lM63I.jpg

34 minutes ago, blessedxcursed said:

21 each... hmmm... i'd need... 15 of them.

*sigh*

@blessedxcursed There was actually another cassette storage thread and a user posted photos of his IKEA Helmer drawer set holding a bunch of tapes per drawer. 

The Helmet can be found here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10251045/?query=Helmer

Thanks to those who recommend the IKEA Helmer. I picked one up this weekend and threw my cassettes in there.

Big tip to anyone else who does the same, do NOT push in the tabs that keep the drawers from slipping out. If you do, you'll block a good 1/3rd of the potential cassette space from being visible and you'll have to do what I did which was add a back stopper to keep the cassettes in place. Other than that slight mistake, I'm super happy with this as a larger storage option. Thanks again for the recommendation.

41 minutes ago, richardsurf said:

Thanks to those who recommend the IKEA Helmer. I picked one up this weekend and threw my cassettes in there.

Big tip to anyone else who does the same, do NOT push in the tabs that keep the drawers from slipping out. If you do, you'll block a good 1/3rd of the potential cassette space from being visible and you'll have to do what I did which was add a back stopper to keep the cassettes in place. Other than that slight mistake, I'm super happy with this as a larger storage option. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Roughly how many accessible tapes can one fit in the Helmer? Or if there are multiple sizes, in one drawer?

13 minutes ago, docbronze said:

Roughly how many accessible tapes can one fit in the Helmer? Or if there are multiple sizes, in one drawer?

I fit 30 cassettes per drawer but I made the mistake of "locking" the drawers so they don't pull out all the way. If you don't "lock" them and let the drawers pull out completely, it should hold closer to 45 cassettes per drawer. As far as I know, this is the only size for the Helmer. I didn't see a larger version.

Edited by richardsurf

4 hours ago, richardsurf said:

I fit 30 cassettes per drawer but I made the mistake of "locking" the drawers so they don't pull out all the way. If you don't "lock" them and let the drawers pull out completely, it should hold closer to 45 cassettes per drawer. As far as I know, this is the only size for the Helmer. I didn't see a larger version.

I appreciate the info. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2017 at 5:46 PM, drds89 said:

The 100 space wall mounts were tempting, but my wife would have nothing of them, so I went for the 1980's style cabinets. Instead of the faux wood color, I waited for some Black units to show up at the thrift store. I have another one ready when these are full - which is pretty close. (This discgear CD holder is for my 'mixtape' CDs I burn)

Pm4zDmc.jpg?1C0lM63I.jpg

Set and Setting...Great band!

15 hours ago, mertzrock said:

Set and Setting...Great band!

You can get the Equanimity on CS for $2.25 (see page 1 of the other thread), but they also have them on their bandcamp site for more than that (Barracuda filter blocking my bandcamp now :( )

Set And Setting

Edited by drds89