Question - cleaning old vinyl from a skip

zanoni

Hi,

First post but enthusiastic vinyl collector with a query hoping for your advice on.

Last night I happened on a skip.  In it was vinyl.  The lovely lady who lived in the house was happy for me to rescue the vinyl - a massive collection of 7s, 12s and LPS from the skip. Her husband had been a soul/ r&b DJ and has died. They had knocked an old summer house/ shed down and her and the kids had skipped the lot.

I believe after a long root around with the gloves she gave me, I have all of it now - but alas been exposed to the rain and even worse, building rubble from the demolition on top of it. Some in sleeves,some not.  The only saving grace, was that many had been placed in together, rather than thrown - and although rubble on top, then a bed mattress protected it

So..  my question....

Given the rubble and dust I am sure some of it may be scratched etc - but any advice on the best way to start cleaning this up?

Probably talking around 200 records I think....

Thanks for the advice,

Z

First off I have no idea what the skip is. 

Next up is the exposure to rain. Moisture is the devil when it comes to records. This alone would make them a good candidate for the trash. 

Finally a building collapsed with them in there. Why did you even waste your time digging around? 

2 minutes ago, FiggyPud said:

Honestly, I would probably just throw em all away.  I know it sucks, but sounds like more trouble than what they're probably worth.

May be the case with a lot of them, but there are some which seem to be in good condition, those mainly that (1) probably weren't played out in the clubs when this guy DJ'd and (2) are still in the right sleeves and weren't exposed to the elements.  Just listened to lovely version of 'The Special Magic of Oscar Peterson and Nelson Riddle' on Verve.     But yes, I think a sizable number may yet head to the local tip.  Oh well!

I've bought and saved some water damaged records from the skip or tip or whatever.  The jackets are garbage.  The records had a ton of dirt/dust on them from the water and the jacket deteriorating/molding.  I ran them through my cleaner with a ton of cleaning solution a few times and they sounded great.  It kind of sucks having a record with no jacket, but you can usually find them on discogs if it's that important. They are salvageable, it is some work though.

8 hours ago, zanoni said:

Hi,

First post but enthusiastic vinyl collector with a query hoping for your advice on.

Last night I happened on a skip.  In it was vinyl.  The lovely lady who lived in the house was happy for me to rescue the vinyl - a massive collection of 7s, 12s and LPS from the skip. Her husband had been a soul/ r&b DJ and has died. They had knocked an old summer house/ shed down and her and the kids had skipped the lot.

I believe after a long root around with the gloves she gave me, I have all of it now - but alas been exposed to the rain and even worse, building rubble from the demolition on top of it. Some in sleeves,some not.  The only saving grace, was that many had been placed in together, rather than thrown - and although rubble on top, then a bed mattress protected it

So..  my question....

Given the rubble and dust I am sure some of it may be scratched etc - but any advice on the best way to start cleaning this up?

Probably talking around 200 records I think....

Thanks for the advice,

Z

Don’t bother with some of the assholes on here. There’s been some helpful things posted, so hope it helps!

1 hour ago, Satan said:

Don’t bother with some of the assholes on here. There’s been some helpful things posted, so hope it helps!

True, there is some helpful here, but as a US English speaker, there's some honest funny here.

I mean, OP might have to put his skip in the tip.

He hasn't even considered a car boot or jumble sale.

That being said, put anything that's water damaged or moldy in the tip.

Keep any vinyl that's worth cleaning and worth keeping.

Worst case scenario, you gotta put your skip in the tip.

#skiptippin