PO - Great Lake Swimmers box set LTD to 200

aopps42

Hmm, they should have released the entire Hands In the Ground E.P. along with a second disc of extras IMO rather than take two of the songs off it only, especially since this box has two less LPs than The Dears box does. Knowing that I have two of the songs on the extras LP does make me want the box a bit less tbh.

I might just buy the first two albums individually but at the same time I put my OP copy of Ongiara up for sale on Discogs. If someone bites, I'll easily afford this box. Let's see what happens. I have a feeling the box might sell out quick, though. GLS fanbase is small but rabid.

Interesting, but not overly cheap. The Dears box set, which was also limited, still appears to be in stock. I feel like at that price, the pressing amount seems appropriate - for big fans/completists only. Still, it looks like Paper Bag are working hard on reissues, and that's really cool. I feel like there's a lot of great Canadian music from the last 20 or so years that doesn't get reprinted/repressed, and it's nice to see them countering that.

I'd be interested in picking up the first LP on its own, probably not the box set.

Yeah the self-titled is the best. The band just go a bit too lush for me, even on Ongiara but certainly afterwards.

And for sure, there's dozens of indie-rock classics from Canada that have never been pressed on vinyl before: Henri Fabergé and the Adorables, Woodhands, hHead, The Bicycles, High School Champion Records stuff (Christiana/Neck, Kid Sniper, etc.), Squirtgun Records (Radioblaster, The Bonaduces, By Divine Right, etc.) just to name a few.

16 minutes ago, armadillo01 said:

Yeah the self-titled is the best. The band just go a bit too lush for me, even on Ongiara but certainly afterwards.

And for sure, there's dozens of indie-rock classics from Canada that have never been pressed on vinyl before: Henri Fabergé and the Adorables, Woodhands, hHead, The Bicycles, High School Champion Records stuff (Christiana/Neck, Kid Sniper, etc.), Squirtgun Records (Radioblaster, The Bonaduces, By Divine Right, etc.) just to name a few.

I would pay so much for the More of Our Stupid Noise compilation on vinyl...it was one of those CDs I bought when I was 13 because it had treble charger and Hayden on it, and grew to love so many of the songs on the comp, many of which I wouldn't revisit again until at least a decade later.

1 hour ago, Sidney Crosley said:

I would pay so much for the More of Our Stupid Noise compilation on vinyl...it was one of those CDs I bought when I was 13 because it had treble charger and Hayden on it, and grew to love so many of the songs on the comp, many of which I wouldn't revisit again until at least a decade later.

Yeah some of the 90's era compilations getting vinyl pressings would be cool on their own. It turns out this one had two versions released, the second with more songs/different tracklist.

It'd be cool to see the Friends of Bellwoods comps getting reissued, too. Lot's of mid-2000s bands with exclusive songs, a lot of them from Blocks Recording Co.

I pre ordered this. Will be nice to have the second and third album on vinyl finally. I'm sure they could have put a bunch more stuff in this set though.

I do wonder what the price of the single albums will be when they are released.....

Edited by niblips

16 hours ago, wbhendrix said:

Thank you for posting! I just saw this and ordered right away. 

I’m thankful it wasn’t sold out but also surpised since it’s only 200 pressings?

Check out my comments about The Dears box set here. It could be people don't want to pay around 150 CAD for what's basically 4 LPs given  how shitty the packaging is. 

23 hours ago, niblips said:

I pre ordered this. Will be nice to have the second and third album on vinyl finally. I'm sure they could have put a bunch more stuff in this set though.

I do wonder what the price of the single albums will be when they are released.....

I really hope they're reasonable tbh. Like no more than 25 a piece and that's even too far IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

I just received my box set in the mail today. I haven't listened yet but now i see what all the complaints were about when it comes to the packaging. It defffffinitly could have been made much better. That said, given everything I know, I would still buy it again since its limited to 200 with the demo's LP. My demo vinyl is hand numbered 31/200 so in a way thats worth it to me. I'll listen to the records over the next few days and post my thoughts on the pressing quality. 

18 hours ago, wbhendrix said:

I just received my box set in the mail today. I haven't listened yet but now i see what all the complaints were about when it comes to the packaging. It defffffinitly could have been made much better. That said, given everything I know, I would still buy it again since its limited to 200 with the demo's LP. My demo vinyl is hand numbered 31/200 so in a way thats worth it to me. I'll listen to the records over the next few days and post my thoughts on the pressing quality. 

Got mine yesterday too....the box is pathetic. Oversized for the 4 albums and so lightweight it's flimsy. Records look good but will be a while before i get around to spinning.  Didn't realize they were going to use the CD cover for the first album....might have to keep my original now.

I think they need to source a better box if they are going to continue with these. 

Also, who is going to add this to discogs? I've no time atm.

2 hours ago, niblips said:

Got mine yesterday too....the box is pathetic. Oversized for the 4 albums and so lightweight it's flimsy. Records look good but will be a while before i get around to spinning.  Didn't realize they were going to use the CD cover for the first album....might have to keep my original now.

I think they need to source a better box if they are going to continue with these. 

Also, who is going to add this to discogs? I've no time atm.

agreed...

and i wish i could add to discogs but my account was recently put on hold b/c my entries lacked detail? This shocks me because I entered tons of entries with very little corrections... ugh.