PO now: Baths - Romaplasm

aellerton

New album from Baths "Romaplasm" is up for pre-order at Anticon: http://www.anticon.com/item/romaplasm

***EXCLUSIVE COLOR IN COLOR TRANSLUCENT ELECTRIC BLUE & OLIVE GREEN VINYL LIMITED TO 300 COPIES AVAILABLE HERE ONLY***  

"Vinyl pre-orders will ship on or around November 13, 2017 on a first-ordered, first-served basis. Packaged in high quality 300 gsm jacket with 4 panel poster. Download card inside. "

Edited by aellerton

I'm so glad I checked this before I left for work. Baths' music has had a huge impact on me as a person, and I'm psyched that he's got new stuff coming up.

I also really like the cover, it's really fitting with the subject matter of the album, at least from what I read about it on the pre-order page.

Really loved the first album, an instant-classic.

Disliked the second album & hated the horrible quality of the vinyl pressing of the second album (you see used copies of it a lot; big hint it was a widespread problem).

So far the new song, while coming across as The Blue Nile meets Dan Deacon (should sound great on paper) doesn't completely grab my attention.

I'm loving the color choice; it's certainly very unique but I'd have to listen to the whole thing before deciding whether I need it in my life.

Anyone else really dig that Ocean Death EP?  That first track is stupid infectious.  Really enjoy that release, which I believe is the last thing he put out under the Baths moniker.

New track is... okay.  There are elements of it that I'm liking, but as a whole it's maybe a little too bright for what I was expecting.  I loved the sampling and experimental / beat-driven approach on Cerulean.  And I also really enjoy the moodier, darker pieces he constructs.  This new song is neither.  I get that it's a single, and also the first song on the album, but I just hope it's not indicative of the entire record's sound.

Variant is cool, though.  I'm pretty sure there's a line about blue and green right in the new track, too.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kanye West said:

Why the fuck do labels think it is okay to just do this 

1 hour ago, Lugubrious said:

I don't know, there shipping price is ridiculous too. $10 for one item.

Yeah that sucks. I just grabbed a copy of this, but I would have been fine getting a different variant. Pretty sure it's because it allows them to get lower rates for the same variant. Also yeah.... this was super expensive. Was only $6 shipping for me, but w/ tax $28 USD.

3 hours ago, Kanye West said:

Why the fuck do labels think it is okay to just do this 

the variant sold out in one day. obviously, they underestimated demand and pressed more to accommodate more than the fans who got lucky enough to see it/the fastidious collector and flipper types. they announced they'd be upping the pressing #s the very same day, too.

if someone doesn't like it, thinks their copy is less valuable or whatever, i'm sure Anticon will gladly cancel the order.

Edited by copelandkid

16 minutes ago, copelandkid said:

the variant sold out in one day. obviously, they underestimated demand and pressed more to accommodate more than the fans who got lucky enough to see it/the fastidious collector and flipper types. they announced they'd be upping the pressing #s the very same day, too.

if someone doesn't like it, thinks their copy is less valuable or whatever, i'm sure Anticon will gladly cancel the order.

I just think it's a bad road to go down. Mae did this with (m)(a)(e) not too long ago, too. There was the whole "Dream Catalogue 2814 fiasco" recently, too. 

Making a colored variant is catering in SOME WAY to collector culture. When someone decides when and where to spend their hard earned money, when it comes to a limited record, pressing number is undoubtedly a factor. If they were to press more, they should have changed something up -- otherwise it's a slap in the face of someone who purchased a record that was far more limited.

If this keeps up, collectors are going to be wary about spending money anywhere and these presses will stop selling out. 

Guarantee they won't come close to selling out those 800.

Just now, _stretts said:

Either I'm getting old or I just don't care anymore - probably more important stuff out in the world to worry about than a relatively obscure electronic artist pressing more records.

Some people love collecting. When I was a kid, it was turtle figurines. Young adult? NES games. In this phase of my life - records. Collectors help presses sell out, so their opinion should matter to labels. That's all. 

14 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

I just think it's a bad road to go down. Mae did this with (m)(a)(e) not too long ago, too. There was the whole "Dream Catalogue 2814 fiasco" recently, too. 

Making a colored variant is catering in SOME WAY to collector culture. When someone decides when and where to spend their hard earned money, when it comes to a limited record, pressing number is undoubtedly a factor. If they were to press more, they should have changed something up -- otherwise it's a slap in the face of someone who purchased a record that was far more limited.

If this keeps up, collectors are going to be wary about spending money anywhere and these presses will stop selling out. 

Guarantee they won't come close to selling out those 800.

Mae sold out, shipped out, and then pressed more. you're complaining about a pre-release, day-of-pre-order-announcement decision. the distinction between the first 300 and the additional 500 in this case is wholly arbitrary (and moot given that there will not be a more limited pressing on offer). i watch the flippers and the extreme collectors on this board trip over themselves to sell/buy limited pressings of literally anything vinyl – i highly doubt any of you will ever start taking a pass on limited pressings for any reason ever lol. 

only the hubris of the collector-consumer would allow them to think that their relatively tiny numbers could influence labels to that degree, or that "selling out" (which is an arbitrary benchmark of success, given that any label could do it for any artist if they offered little enough stock) has anything to do with the goals a label has, economic or otherwise.

fan-consumers make up the majority of a label like Anticon's sales. they fund the labels, they make or break the product, and they're who labels ultimately want to please. compounding the lack of (economic) power collectors actually exert is the fact that, due to complaints like this one, many collectors come across to labels as petty and materialistic in comparison with fans who want to support and play the music. it's a refrain i hear label owners on these boards echo constantly.

1 hour ago, copelandkid said:

Mae sold out, shipped out, and then pressed more. 

To avoid arguing the whole case, this is absolutely not what happened with (m)(a)(e). They said there was /300, it sold out in like 5 minutes, then 10 minutes later they upped the numbers to /750, that sold out in like an hour, then they announced the different /500 variant. Many collectors felt ultimately cheated because they ended up hyped and preordered what eventually became the more common variant.

To be honest, I care about limited numbers simply as a "in case". I really don't even plan on selling much of my collection but I've now spent $8,000+ on my collection and I would love to know that it retains it's value, that if suddenly I had a $8K debt (like some medical debt my insurance refuses to pay) I could theoretically sell it as liquid capital.  At least in the current collector economy, the limited press, especially of a 1st press is what helps guarantee that stability, so yes it is kinda lame.
EDIT: I obviously have a legit bank savings as well, I just think of my collection as an extension of it.

Edited by MCDELTAT

32 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

To avoid arguing the whole case, this is absolutely not what happened with (m)(a)(e). They said there was /300, it sold out in like 5 minutes, then 10 minutes later they upped the numbers to /750, that sold out in like an hour, then they announced the different /500 variant. Many collectors felt ultimately cheated because they ended up hyped and preordered what eventually became the more common variant.

ah, appreciate the clarification. that sucks just as much. though it must be said that ending up with the "more common variant" is 100% not what is happening in the case of this Baths record; my original point still stands. 

i can certainly sympathize with the desire to be making a good investment (this is always in the back of my mind, too) and can likewise understand how a flipper would be disgruntled to know they're likely to see less of a return on investment. i guess my main point is that presuming upon labels – whose motivations and goals lie somewhere between "largely unrelated" to "wholly antithetical" to those of the aforementioned – to actively support the concerned liquidator/flipper or even to heed their complaints is really absurd. this attitude changes the artwork from valued object to commodity and also implicitly (explicitly in the case of the flipper) is profiteering off of the labor and capital of the record label/artist that fronts the cost of recording/production/promotion; few labels are going to be sympathetic to this view.

Edited by copelandkid

3 minutes ago, copelandkid said:

ah, appreciate the clarification. that sucks just as much. though it must be said that ending up with the "more common variant" is 100% not what is happening in the case of this Baths record; my original point still stands. 

i can certainly sympathize with the desire to be making a good investment (this is always in the back of my mind, too) and can likewise understand how a flipper would be disgruntled to know they're likely to see less of a return on investment. i guess my main point is that presuming upon labels – whose motivations and goals lie somewhere between "largely unrelated" to "wholly antithetical" to those of the aforementioned – to actively support the concerned liquidator/flipper or even to heed their complaints is really absurd. this attitude changes the artwork from valued object to commodity and also implicitly (explicitly in the case of the flipper) is profiteering off of the labor and capital of the record label/artist that fronts the cost of recording/production/promotion; few labels are going to be sympathetic to this view.

Alright Karl Marx enough of your jibber jabber :D

6 minutes ago, _stretts said:

Alright Karl Marx enough of your jibber jabber :D

i've said my piece, probably should get back to work on the revised and updated edition of 18th Brumaire my publisher's been hounding me about. really can't stand that bourgeois mouthbreather.

Edited by copelandkid

2 hours ago, copelandkid said:

Mae sold out, shipped out, and then pressed more. you're complaining about a pre-release, day-of-pre-order-announcement decision. the distinction between the first 300 and the additional 500 in this case is wholly arbitrary (and moot given that there will not be a more limited pressing on offer). i watch the flippers and the extreme collectors on this board trip over themselves to sell/buy limited pressings of literally anything vinyl – i highly doubt any of you will ever start taking a pass on limited pressings for any reason ever lol. 

only the hubris of the collector-consumer would allow them to think that their relatively tiny numbers could influence labels to that degree, or that "selling out" (which is an arbitrary benchmark of success, given that any label could do it for any artist if they offered little enough stock) has anything to do with the goals a label has, economic or otherwise.

fan-consumers make up the majority of a label like Anticon's sales. they fund the labels, they make or break the product, and they're who labels ultimately want to please. compounding the lack of (economic) power collectors actually exert is the fact that, due to complaints like this one, many collectors come across to labels as petty and materialistic in comparison with fans who want to support and play the music. it's a refrain i hear label owners on these boards echo constantly.

Fyi Mae did a second press which is what you're referring to. The first press upped in quantity twice in the first week before selling out. Second press came out later and was Cooler looking and more limited than the first. All around a disaster.  

EDIT: just saw this was cleared up ha

Edited by Kanye West