PO: My Bloody Valentine - Loveless and Isn't Anything

Likewise, I ended up ordering it a few days ago. Hopefully they haven't depleted the Test Pressing stash.

Also, I realized that adding an extra copy of Loveless on top of my bundle order only added $2 to the shipping cost, so I ended up splitting my order with him to save some shipping costs.

15 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Late to this party. Were the TP's and alternate IA advertised or just randomly inserted in orders type of deal? 

I’m honestly not sure, lots of people got them so maybe not a test press but an error press?  Besides coming in a generic sleeve the only difference I can tell is that the mastering is a lot louder. 

My copy of loveless arrived today. Couldn't really give it a good spin as it is fairly warped (trackable but lots of pumping going to the speakers and pretty unsightly). Needless to say it is going back, all the way from New Zealand ahaha. Expect my next copy won't get here for another 2 months or so. Easily the slowest shipping for the highest price I have ever experienced. Cross fingers they accept my return, no responses as yet.

The jacket is very nice though :rolleyes:

Shields did a few different runs to test different plants. I’m guessing these IA are from those test runs. 

Heres his quote

The final hurtle this time was in physical production. He found that manufacturers each had unique sounds. “If you go to a French manufacturer, it’s gonna come across a lot softer sounding and warmer than if you go to a British manufacturer, where it’s gonna come across a lot more high end,” he says. They eventually settled on a German facility because it was the most accurate. Throughout the process he went through various test pressings and later realized that full runs also sounded different, so they began doing short runs of 100. “We literally have a few thousand records lying around,” he says. “All experiments and failures.”

When he was auditioning manufacturers, he found that many seemed not to care about the quality of their product. “When I played the original version from ’91, it sounded more exciting than all these cuts that I was achieving now,” he says. “[The companies] just make vinyl and they take advantage of the fact that 50 percent of people who buy it don’t even listen to it. And the other 50 percent are only getting into it for the first time. So you have a situation where only 25 percent of people can even tell if it’s crap or not.”

Edited by timsimmons

6 minutes ago, ethereal said:

people are claiming the rejected IA sounds better than their accepted copies. this should be interesting 

I don't see how this can be an absolute though, because the quote from Shields posted by @timsimmons above implies that the rejects being passed around are not all the same. Which is crazy to think about-there being multiple variants of rejected presses of this album. 

Im probably not even going to listen to mine.

Also spending cash to do decent sized runs of a record just to test the facility makes sense for a band that bankrupted their label building a perfect studio. 

Say what you will about time between albums/tours/recording/news, Kevin Shields is clearly a perfectionist and he deserves credit for putting the time and investment into MBV. 

Edited by timsimmons

I totally wanna hear more opinions about how the rejected pressings sound better than the one approved by the creator who is also a perfectionist and spent many years to get to the version that was released. To even entertain those opinions before hearing it yourself is a waste of brain use.

1 hour ago, itsgoodtobefree said:

Some people on the Steve Hoffman Forums were saying that the main pressing of IA had noise and distortion problems and were thinking that the test pressing was a compensation for it... dunno how plausible that is.

Zero percent plausable nearing on insanity. Holy shit.

I think it’s out of a character enough for Shields to even let the public hear what was a supposed “unacceptable” pressing with the TPs, to think that’s the version he’d prefer is madness - especially when you consider it was a bonus inclusion with some orders, so going forward anyone buying it would be getting the “worse” pressing.

I have no doubt he’d have happily sat on this repress another decade without hesitation if the final product was anything less than perfection to him. 

On 2/14/2018 at 8:35 PM, jhulud said:

Late to this party. Were the TP's and alternate IA advertised or just randomly inserted in orders type of deal? 

Random. I got one, but it was not advertised anywhere when I bought the bundle.

I don't think they are test presses, just another press that was rejected or never sold. Has normal labels.

Edited by Thomas³