PO Literally Anywhere - King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland

On 10/28/2017 at 4:00 PM, Derek™ said:

Never did hop on the Gizzard train, but I did give Murder an open and earnest listen when it was released.  Thought it was pretty terrible, for what it's worth.

Not that Gizzard is really super varied when it comes to style, but I think the ones this year have them drifting off in directions. I would say give I'm In Your Mind Fuzz one listen before you decide if you're on or off the train. It will tell you what you need to know.

On 10/28/2017 at 3:00 PM, Derek™ said:

Never did hop on the Gizzard train, but I did give Murder an open and earnest listen when it was released.  Thought it was pretty terrible, for what it's worth.

I agree that album is not great. Quasi-metal for people who don't listen to metal, and tons of annoying voiceovers that are mixed WAY too loud.

I'm not a Gizzard superfan, but I do love Mind Fuzz and Quarters. Maybe give those a shot? 

1 hour ago, swazzyswess said:

I agree that album is not great. Quasi-metal for people who don't listen to metal, and tons of annoying voiceovers that are mixed WAY too loud.

I'm not a Gizzard superfan, but I do love Mind Fuzz and Quarters. Maybe give those a shot? 

Yeah Murder was a really cool idea in theory but wasn’t executed well. Mind Fuzz rocks and Microtonal is awesome as well. 

I'll be getting around to checking one or both of those out before I personally dismiss the band, for myself.  But people were ranking the 2017 albums, and I just wanted to (minimally) chime in that my exposure to them has definitely made me suspect there may be a "quantity over quality" aspect to their ambitious goals for this year.  I get that it's really unfair of me to feel that way after one listen to one album, but it's just a quick two cents.

17 hours ago, swazzyswess said:

Agreed that the voiceovers are far too loud/dominant and would have been better off used subtly. And they really don't work in the live show since (depending on the show's sound production) it's difficult to make out what's being said and they just come off as a distraction. 

I LOVED their Microtonal show earlier in the year (perfect sound separation and great set of songs), but the second time earlier this month it was a more muddy experience (different venue, inferior sound) and far too repetitive. I feel like they only played tracks from Nonagon, Microtonal, and MOTU. And we know Nonagon and MOTU are repetitive as hell. I felt bad bringing my new g/f who was just getting into them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2017 at 11:55 AM, natenomm said:

Nonagon Infinity straight up shreds, too. It's probably my favorite Gizzard album.

On 10/30/2017 at 12:20 PM, WAXXX said:

nonagon infinity is one of the greatest albums ever made. one day i hope to top my goal of listening to it on repeat for 4.5 hours straight.

I was beyond psyched about Nonagon when it came out, but it hasn't aged at all well for me. Still love "Gamma Knife", but rarely want to hear the whole album from front to back. Louderized mix grates no matter how I listen, and I usually get bored/irritated before it's half over. Lots of action on the surface, but nothing much going on underneath.

Mind Fuzz was my first exposure to King Gizzard, and it's still my favorite, with PM Dream Balloon a reasonably close second. Of the 2017 onslaught, I figure FM Banana and Brunswick East are the keepers - both quite good but a little shy of their best work.