PO Literally Anywhere - King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland

6 hours ago, TheDuke said:

And before I go to bed, just had a look on Heavenly Records, they are doing a physical: Standard black vinyl and a CD: Long ship out time though, 9th March:

12” black heavyweight vinyl, PVC sleeve with, DL card, Shrinkwrap, Outer sticker £19.99

CD £10.99

Prices seem high to me, given that there shouldn't be any royalties to pay on this one..but it's there anyway for whoever wants it

http://heavenlyemporium.com/buy/polygondwanaland-1/

I'd not even realised that they had a copy up, must have missed their announcement. Will leave it & stick to the copies already ordered.

11 hours ago, craigeduk said:

Not as bad as BM but certainly not great. And Amazon hasn't looked as bad as that for at least a decade.  

Haha ok. 

3 hours ago, TheDuke said:

Gone very quiet on here, folks got bored already?! The short-lived euphoria has passed has it?! lol!

Lol threads die man time to venture out into the forums. This thread had a silly release so all the VC hypebeasts had to join in but they don't actually care about the record more than the novelty so it'll only be talked about for so long. Like someone said earlier these will be the coolest looking dollar bin variants.

I suspect that most people, myself included, are jaded to the number of releases as was bound to happen. Since most people will not see a result until well into February, people might be using their funds differently, like for, uh, holidays. Maybe when that Fuzz Club arrives I'll get antsy again.

Giving this 2LP / 45RPM one a bump. I'm actually shocked that it's stagnant at 53 sold out of the necessary 200, especially with those low international shipping rates (but, there is also 46 days left so who knows).  Maybe it was posted too late in the game? I really want this one to happen because it's a 2LP/45RPM on black vinyl and not colored vinyl. Sure, colored vinyl is pretty and usually sounds decent but black has the best sound overall and many legit plants say that on their websites - like on Furnace's FAQ page. I also confirmed with a mastering engineer that masters never have to be "re-mastered for 45" - such a thing just doesn't exist. Hoping this one happens - because it's a legit audiophile release (will be pressed by GZ Media).  

https://qrates.com/artists/SofaKingVinyl/items/14771 

14 minutes ago, deadwax666 said:

Giving this 2LP / 45RPM one a bump. I'm actually shocked that it's stagnant at 53 sold out of the necessary 200, especially with those low international shipping rates (but, there is also 46 days left so who knows).  Maybe it was posted too late in the game? I really want this one to happen because it's a 2LP/45RPM on black vinyl and not colored vinyl. Sure, colored vinyl is pretty and usually sounds decent but black has the best sound overall and many legit plants say that on their websites - like on Furnace's FAQ page. I also confirmed with a mastering engineer that masters never have to be "re-mastered for 45" - such a thing just doesn't exist. Hoping this one happens - because it's a legit audiophile release (will be pressed by GZ Media).  

https://qrates.com/artists/SofaKingVinyl/items/14771 

You learned a lot it seems but you also gotta know most vinyl audiophiles hate GZ because they use DMM (direct metal mastering) instead of traditional lacquer methods and it results in a sort of tinnier sound than normal methods. Not noticeable to most people but if they wanna use all these buzz words for audiophiles and then press it at GZ I know they aren't actually serious about going for the best sound. Less of a problem but GZ are also the largest plant in the world so quality control isn't the greatest. Especially for small runs.

4 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

You learned a lot it seems but you also gotta know most vinyl audiophiles hate GZ because they use DMM (direct metal mastering) instead of traditional lacquer methods and it results in a sort of tinnier sound than normal methods. Not noticeable to most people but if they wanna use all these buzz words for audiophiles and then press it at GZ I know they aren't actually serious about going for the best sound. Less of a problem but GZ are also the largest plant in the world so quality control isn't the greatest. Especially for small runs.

Interesting. I hear a lot of people say good things about GZ. They actually offer both DMM and Lacquer options per the website.  The feedback from the label's first release has been all positive from what I've seen. It's the same plant Blood Music uses from what I understand, didn't they sell a whole bunch? But...then again they have a pretty big built in audience. 

4 minutes ago, Secular Haze said:

Confession: I've never heard these guys. Which album should I start with?

Secular Haze?! You're back!

The answer is I'm In Your Mind Fuzz. Promise. Then go earlier for more loud, garagey psychedelic, and go later if you want to hear them try different styles. That's what I think anyway.

9 minutes ago, Secular Haze said:

Confession: I've never heard these guys. Which album should I start with?

The great Secular Haze has returned! 

They're a little all over the place stylistically, but the "core" of their sound is best represented by the three albums Float Along - Fill Your LungsI'm In Your Mind Fuzz, and Nonagon Infinity.

Here's one for ya Duke. Hope this hasn't been posted already.

I Prefer Pi Records  - Six Sides Of Wizardry - limited to 101

Three 8” lathe cut records housed uniquely in an arcane map and trapped between the walls of the castle is the full length album ‘Polygondwanaland’. Cut to six sides the set is truly a collectors piece. With a number of cool aspects that will and will not be mentioned, this package is to appeal to those looking for something different. Here are some pics- preorders are up and posting here and there as I type.

Plus US shipping its a little over 50 bucks. Narrower and narrower niches being satisfied here... although the artwork looks extra interesting.

24232561_1739666996053633_81676795639720

1 hour ago, HoneyFrosted said:

Secular Haze?! You're back!

The answer is I'm In Your Mind Fuzz. Promise. Then go earlier for more loud, garagey psychedelic, and go later if you want to hear them try different styles. That's what I think anyway.

Thank you.  I'm glad to be back.  I'll be checking out Mind Fuzz later this night.  Looking forward to it!

1 hour ago, DecayToDeath said:

The great Secular Haze has returned! 

They're a little all over the place stylistically, but the "core" of their sound is best represented by the three albums Float Along - Fill Your LungsI'm In Your Mind Fuzz, and Nonagon Infinity.

Thank you.  I'll be adding these to the list.

41 minutes ago, Velocity of Sound said:

Lot of good info here regarding their albums. 

https://youtu.be/hjjCW6_fuXU

Will do.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, deadwax666 said:

Interesting. I hear a lot of people say good things about GZ. They actually offer both DMM and Lacquer options per the website.  The feedback from the label's first release has been all positive from what I've seen. It's the same plant Blood Music uses from what I understand, didn't they sell a whole bunch? But...then again they have a pretty big built in audience. 

They do offer both but it's extremely rare for a lacquer method from them just because the turnaround for DMM is faster with less steps (cheaper). You'll always see a machine stamped matrix/info in the dead wax when they do this because that's part of the plating process rather than hand inscribing it onto the plates after the grooves are set. They're the largest in the world so of course they do fine work most of the time and records they put out sound fine but a lacquer method will always produce a richer sound. DMM has better pitch matching and can fit more music on each side so in addition to the faster turnaround I think those are the main pros so there is a reason for it. I'm sure it will sound good I'm just letting you know because too many labels throw all these words around (I've seen DMM used as a buzz word too which is really funny) and it looks like you're actually interested in how things work.

The main thing that irked me about their wording was the hypothetical minute of grooves on a record being about 12 inches long when straightened out compared to 18 inches at 45 rpm. That's just too off to even be hypothetical lol a foot of grooves is a second maybe two (the very first groove on a record before it even spins a whole rotation is 3 feet sooo... I dunno it's just not even close so I don't trust it and saying it's a good deal because it's not $40 is weird too) 

3 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

They do offer both but it's extremely rare for a lacquer method from them just because the turnaround for DMM is faster with less steps (cheaper). You'll always see a machine stamped matrix/info in the dead wax when they do this because that's part of the plating process rather than hand inscribing it onto the plates after the grooves are set. They're the largest in the world so of course they do fine work most of the time and records they put out sound fine but a lacquer method will always produce a richer sound. DMM has better pitch matching and can fit more music on each side so in addition to the faster turnaround I think those are the main pros so there is a reason for it. I'm sure it will sound good I'm just letting you know because too many labels throw all these words around (I've seen DMM used as a buzz word too which is really funny) and it looks like you're actually interested in how things work.

The main thing that irked me about their wording was the hypothetical minute of grooves on a record being about 12 inches long when straightened out compared to 18 inches at 45 rpm. That's just too off to even be hypothetical lol a foot of grooves is a second maybe two (the very first groove on a record before it even spins a whole rotation is 3 feet sooo... I dunno it's just not even close so I don't trust it and saying it's a good deal because it's not $40 is weird too) 

That wording about the hypothetical minutes of grooves was taken from a different website called "Classic45s", but I totally get what you are saying. The person who originally wrote that probably exaggerated but it's just thrown in there to make a point about 45RPM cuts having better sound (which I think we can all agree is true). The wording about most audiophile pressings selling for $40 is probably generally true, but granted it probably wasn't necessary to put that on there. The people who want this record will buy it because they want it, not because it's a "good deal". There was probably just a lot of excitement to get the campaign up that there was too much focus on trying to "sell" it, if you know what I mean.