LP only plays out of one channel

Recently purchased a 2xLP where the first disc is pristine but second disc plays only out of the left channel. Of course thought at first that my setup had given out somehow in the time it took me to switch  discs, but was easy enough to troubleshoot and determine the fault lay with the disc itself.

Mostly interested to know how common this sort of thing is, whether anyone here had a similar experience with huge quality differences between discs across a newer pressing. Also interested in theories on why this might have happened. I have to imagine it's not negligence of the variety where a label doesn't opt for test pressings / doesn't listen to them attentively, as the label responsible for this pressing is a smaller operation.  I would have to guess I got one of a few bad copies in the larger print run. You never know though...

It could very well be a defect in how it was cut. Mono and stereo signals are setup differently in the groove. If the groove isn't cut right then the sound could come out monaurally. Never heard of it happening but the science is there to say it can happen. This is useful in understanding the difference:

http://www.vinylrecorder.com/stereo.html

Also a really informative article from Kevin Gray:

http://www.recordtech.com/prodsounds.htm