PO NOW: Bon Iver - Emma, Forever Ago (ltd reissue)

yeah this was an easy buy for me. I always hated the artwork on the standard copy since I grew to love this album from a waffles.fm rip way back when it first came out and the only artwork was that original CDR design.

Big fan of tip-on, big fan of this re-issue

Edited by Tommy

55 minutes ago, dartmike said:

I did ask Secretly Store about this and received this reply: "The new limited edition is simply a re-issue of the original master. "

So from what I have come to understand, this should sound bad? Unlistenable bad? I've put off buying this because I keep hearing the pressings are (all?) remarkably bad. Have I been mis-informed?

2 hours ago, bridley said:

So from what I have come to understand, this should sound bad? Unlistenable bad? I've put off buying this because I keep hearing the pressings are (all?) remarkably bad. Have I been mis-informed?

I have the regular pressing and never had any issues with it. Sure, probably not the greatest sounding record I own, but definitely no defects or artifacts. If this reissue has issues I doubt you'll have any trouble selling it to someone else.

5 minutes ago, bluescreenlife said:

I have the regular pressing and never had any issues with it. Sure, probably not the greatest sounding record I own, but definitely no defects or artifacts. If this reissue has issues I doubt you'll have any trouble selling it to someone else.

Fair enough. Maybe the degree of issues I have heard of this has been repeatedly overstated. Fell in love with this album in 08, would love to have it and the big plastic format - maybe this will be the juan I get. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

44 minutes ago, bluescreenlife said:

Same here. My copy sounds fine. Definitely not one.of my best sounding records, but it seems to fit the sound of the overall album quite well. 

11 hours ago, bluescreenlife said:

Seconded, I never thought this sounded as bad as the internet would lead you to believe. Definitely nowhere near unlistenable.

3 hours ago, shadowkid33 said:

Seconded, I never thought this sounded as bad as the internet would lead you to believe. Definitely nowhere near unlistenable.

I mean he recorded the damn thing by himself in a cabin in the woods with a few SM57's. How good do you expect it to sound? I never had any issues with the first press

3 hours ago, shadowkid33 said:

This record seems to be second only to the Plain pressing of Loveless in the ranking of Pressings That Dorks On The Internet Love To Complain About Unprompted. I play my copy semi-regularly, and yeah, there's a little more surface noise than average, but come on, people. Seems like one of those things that probably originated as a single post on r/vinyl and nerds everywhere decided that it was their opinion, too.

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

I mean he recorded the damn thing by himself in a cabin in the woods with a few SM57's. How good do you expect it to sound? I never had any issues with the first press

Hey man, get out of here with your logical reasoning. This is a VC for crying out loud.

2 hours ago, YouTwo said:

My issues were with excessive surface noise.  Not so much the production quality.

What sounds like surface noise is actually deer meat sizzling on a frying pan over the fire

Edited by Tommy

On 10/31/2017 at 8:15 PM, bridley said:

Fair enough. Maybe the degree of issues I have heard of this has been repeatedly overstated. Fell in love with this album in 08, would love to have it and the big plastic format - maybe this will be the juan I get. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I would rather suggest you spend the $20 in store and buy the bog-standard version. There's no way this is worth it for Canadians, given the to-door price. Pretty sure they've ironed out the pressing issues by now, since it's currently still in print.

Edited by stefanb

59 minutes ago, stefanb said:

I would rather suggest you spend the $20 in store and buy the bog-standard version. There's no way this is worth it for Canadians, given the to-door price. Pretty sure they've ironed out the pressing issues by now, since it's currently still in print.

Yup, pushing $60CAD after delivery and exchange. Absurd to spend that on this album. I'll just wait and see if this makes it to stores/shows. I have a feeling "limited edition" will still be +5000.

• 3 months later...

For those looking to save some money, I'll agree with others that the OG press sounds just fine - compare it to a digital copy and maybe there's a bit more noise, but nothing noticeable for me. As others have said his original recordings were done in a hunting cabin on a 4-track tape mixer and then added on to in the studio (percussion, addl. instruments and vocals, etc.).

The mix sounds the same. However my copy is nearly dead-silent as far as surface noise, it's a joy to listen to. However it looks like they've been taken off their website, or sold out at their 10th anniversary For Emma show last weekend. I was there and every other person I walked by was carrying a copy. Shame that half of them will be spun on Crosleys then framed and hung on a wall.

3 minutes ago, Never_Enough_Records said:

Ah, they had been as of yesterday. They probably took it off the website to see how many got purchased at the show, and leftovers are back up now. I have a feeling these won't last super long.