PO: Imogen Heap - Speak For Yourself Repress (/300 black) Bundles with Ellipse and Baby Songs 7"

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of further backlash just to explain some of our logic in releasing this, it was brought to our attention that it was attracting ridiculous prices on ebay which we wanted to try and diffuse. Also if you pre ordered the black you're paying alot less than this version. The clear is being sold at the normal price rather than with any pre order discount. We could have waited to release the clear variant but we are in the process of slowing things down with the label due to other commitments so we had to do it now.

9 minutes ago, tomkclarke said:

At the risk of further backlash just to explain some of our logic in releasing this, it was brought to our attention that it was attracting ridiculous prices on ebay which we wanted to try and diffuse. Also if you pre ordered the black you're paying alot less than this version. The clear is being sold at the normal price rather than with any pre order discount. We could have waited to release the clear variant but we are in the process of slowing things down with the label due to other commitments so we had to do it now.

TIL £3 is "alot less" for a non-colored, higher-run variant.

What you could have done here is announced the clear version was going to exist before the black shipped, so people had a choice in the matter.

Only seeing the prices for the bundle here but looks like it’s a £4 (or $5.50) difference between the 200/clear and the 300/black.

Sort of a lame excuse that the people jumping on this one are paying a few bucks more for a arguably nicer looking variant with 2/3 the pressing run of the black. 

51 minutes ago, tomkclarke said:

This pisses me off. Way to reward the customers who ordered it 1st with a cooler more limited variant later. This shit is getting rediculous with labels. I dont apreciate the bait and switch car salesman technique, making something "limited" to sell something and then pressing more in an arguably more apealing more limited version later. Hope pissing off your customers was worth it

In the label's defense, the fault is really on those of us that didn't cancel our preorder when in November they said on this very board:

Just to clarify this is only a 300 pressing on black and there aren't going to be any more of this so it is limited to 300. Hopefully it'll become clear when we're allowed to announce but that won't be till next year

Although at the time, I didn't realize what they really meant was:

Just to clarify this is only a 300 pressing on black and there aren't going to be any more of this so it is limited to 300. There is a nicer looking version coming out in February that will cost a few more bucks but will be much more limited. We're able to do this because of the after-market demand for the release, which was ironically helped out artificially by pressing much less of the first run than we knew we could sell, thus driving many of you to buy it despite extremely high postage fees for fear it wouldn't be available later and you'd end up having to pay eBay prices for it. When the more limited version comes out in February, we'll use the excuse that we didn't know how popular this would be and not offer any real explanation for why we're only pressing 200 more copies to address what is supposedly an insatiable thirst for the record, when we just as easily could have pressed 400 or 500 copies of the new version so those that bought early and are "stuck" with the black could at least cling to the idea that they had the most limited variant. Who knows, maybe if these 200 move quickly enough you'll see a splatter-vinyl pressing of 100 released in April! Thanks for being such great customers!!

7 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

In the label's defense, the fault is really on those of us that didn't cancel our preorder when in November they said on this very board:

Although at the time, I didn't realize what they really meant was:

LOL! This is great. Well done. Best joke ive seen on this board in a long time

1 hour ago, Saxonjulin said:

This pisses me off. Way to reward the customers who ordered it 1st with a cooler more limited variant later. This shit is getting rediculous with labels. I dont apreciate the bait and switch car salesman technique, making something "limited" to sell something and then pressing more in an arguably more apealing more limited version later. Hope pissing off your customers was worth it

who gives a shit

6 minutes ago, Saxonjulin said:

I love especially that they waited to ship the vinyl versions before announcing the clear too. Bull shit

Exactly. As I mentioned above, it was clear from the label's own words that they didn't plan to stop at the pressing of 300, they alluded to more stuff coming pretty heavily, but I didn't imagine it would be on clear vinyl and pressed in fewer (?!) quantities than the first?

At this rate, we'll be getting a color-in-color /100 next week, a lathe cut /50 the week after and eventually a 1/1 liquid filled with hand-painted sleeve sometime in June - that one'll really help cool down the bidding on eBay.