PO: Imogen Heap - Speak For Yourself Repress (/300 black) Bundles with Ellipse and Baby Songs 7"

28 minutes ago, Saxonjulin said:

I love especially that they waited to ship the vinyl versions before announcing the clear too. Bull shit

Since their concern is the exorbitant aftermarket prices, I'm sure they wanted to wait until the prices on eBay leveled out from this first shipment, and then they would know how to fairly price the clear variant. I'm sure that there was some concern about flooding the market with the initial 300 black copies.

PCCVPN3.gif

36 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

Exactly. As I mentioned above, it was clear from the label's own words that they didn't plan to stop at the pressing of 300, they alluded to more stuff coming pretty heavily, but I didn't imagine it would be on clear vinyl and pressed in fewer (?!) quantities than the first?

At this rate, we'll be getting a color-in-color /100 next week, a lathe cut /50 the week after and eventually a 1/1 liquid filled with hand-painted sleeve sometime in June - that one'll really help cool down the bidding on eBay.

I think that was a joke...

33 minutes ago, Saxonjulin said:

well it had to be a joke. This label couldnt have been that stupid in posting that. Guess I was wrong

No problem, I totally understand.

This whole release is like a one giant joke wrapped in a nightmare topped with a steaming turd.

Nested in Donald Trump’s hair.

Ways this is a problem:

1. They used the “one-time” pressing line as a selling point, then released a new one which is identical save for color and edition size (both of which are arguably better on the second). Several people on the board debated buying it because of the possibility it would be available cheaper elsewhere, or without international shipping, but ended up going through with the purchase for fear they wouldn’t have another chance. 

2. They weren’t upfront about the possibility of other variants until the first one already sold out, and even then they just gave a vague hint until this morning when it went up for sale. 

3. The new variant is more limited (and objectively nicer looking) than the first, a big “screw you” to the people that made the first one sell out in the first place. How many of those 300 buyers would have preferred this one instead?

4. Because it was announced and put up for sale shortly after the first one shipped, those loyal preorder people didn’t have a chance to ask for an exchange if they would have preferred this one, or even first dibs if they wanted one of each.

5. The label clearly sees this as somewhat scummy, which is why they’re pulling out the “It’s being sold on eBay! We’re just trying to meet demand!” excuse, but addressed it by releasing an even rarer variant which at best won’t do squat to eBay sales and at worst will cause a whole new run for the clear vinyl version.

6. Nitpicking, but they also used the “we made this pressing more expensive so you should be happy you got in early” excuse  when the difference is only a few bucks and for that you get colored vinyl (we’ll, clear...) and a run of one-third fewer copies.

Just my opinion. I see the people who don’t think it’s a big deal and get what they’re saying, but personally these things bug me. 

58 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

Ways this is a problem:

1. They used the “one-time” pressing line as a selling point, then released a new one which is identical save for color and edition size (both of which are arguably better on the second). Several people on the board debated buying it because of the possibility it would be available cheaper elsewhere, or without international shipping, but ended up going through with the purchase for fear they wouldn’t have another chance. 

2. They weren’t upfront about the possibility of other variants until the first one already sold out, and even then they just gave a vague hint until this morning when it went up for sale. 

3. The new variant is more limited (and objectively nicer looking) than the first, a big “screw you” to the people that made the first one sell out in the first place. How many of those 300 buyers would have preferred this one instead?

4. Because it was announced and put up for sale shortly after the first one shipped, those loyal preorder people didn’t have a chance to ask for an exchange if they would have preferred this one, or even first dibs if they wanted one of each.

5. The label clearly sees this as somewhat scummy, which is why they’re pulling out the “It’s being sold on eBay! We’re just trying to meet demand!” excuse, but addressed it by releasing an even rarer variant which at best won’t do squat to eBay sales and at worst will cause a whole new run for the clear vinyl version.

6. Nitpicking, but they also used the “we made this pressing more expensive so you should be happy you got in early” excuse  when the difference is only a few bucks and for that you get colored vinyl (we’ll, clear...) and a run of one-third fewer copies.

Just my opinion. I see the people who don’t think it’s a big deal and get what they’re saying, but personally these things bug me. 

I agree with ever statement in this. Well done. Also vinyl take MONTHS to be pressed. The fact that this new variant is shipping in 2 months means they knew this was coming but waited till the black vinyl to ship out 1st. Super scummy

1 hour ago, unknown pleasures said:

Ways this is a problem:

That's fair I can see your point, I guess I don't view one color or another as better but I can see why some would.

If a label said it was going to press a certain amount then pressed more I'd be pissed but besides that I'd say it's all good. Just define the pressings as separate and I don't after that.

Hi folks, 

The clear pressing was requested by a partner, it was due to be sold by them. We couldn’t share this information earlier because we were waiting on our partner to make their own announcement. The arrangement didn’t come to fruition and we were left with the clear pressing.

We could see people were being ripped off by resellers of the black pressing so we decided to put the clear on sale ourselves, rather than wait on another partner to confirm. By putting it on sale now we hoped it might save people buying from the resellers, who would be about to receive their copy/copies of the black pressing which shipped last week.

Shipping costs are unfortunately determined by the postal service. Our rates charged for the black pressing postage and packaging were lower than the fees we paid. We increased them for this pressing so that we didn’t continue to lose money on shipping. I appreciate these costs are high for our international customers, had the arrangement with our partner worked out this may have proved to be a more affordable option for some.

I think it’s great that VinylCollective provides this platform for healthy debate between the vinyl community. These matters should be discussed. Unfortunately commercial arrangements sometimes prevent you from sharing certain information, but I hope the above clarifies our decisions made. 

Thank you to anyone reading who picked up a copy of this release, red, blue, black or clear. It was an honour to work on and I hope you enjoy the pressing. This will be the last time we release the record, so apologies to anyone who missed out. There is every chance another label may choose to repress it in the future.

7 hours ago, Liam said:

Hi folks, 

The clear pressing was requested by a partner, it was due to be sold by them. We couldn’t share this information earlier because we were waiting on our partner to make their own announcement. The arrangement didn’t come to fruition and we were left with the clear pressing.

We could see people were being ripped off by resellers of the black pressing so we decided to put the clear on sale ourselves, rather than wait on another partner to confirm. By putting it on sale now we hoped it might save people buying from the resellers, who would be about to receive their copy/copies of the black pressing which shipped last week.

Shipping costs are unfortunately determined by the postal service. Our rates charged for the black pressing postage and packaging were lower than the fees we paid. We increased them for this pressing so that we didn’t continue to lose money on shipping. I appreciate these costs are high for our international customers, had the arrangement with our partner worked out this may have proved to be a more affordable option for some.

I think it’s great that VinylCollective provides this platform for healthy debate between the vinyl community. These matters should be discussed. Unfortunately commercial arrangements sometimes prevent you from sharing certain information, but I hope the above clarifies our decisions made. 

Thank you to anyone reading who picked up a copy of this release, red, blue, black or clear. It was an honour to work on and I hope you enjoy the pressing. This will be the last time we release the record, so apologies to anyone who missed out. There is every chance another label may choose to repress it in the future.

Hey guys "This will be the last time we release the record". Sure I believe you

3 minutes ago, Respektor said:

They are not avaliable, those variants have been out-of-print since 2013. Now they cost hundreds of dollars. You check Discogs, it’s on sale on and off. 

For a moment I thought these guys were planning additional, even more limited, color releases after the clear sold out.

• 2 weeks later...