Cheap And Easy Way For Cleaning Vinyl Records

Do you want to start a vinyl collection? Or maybe you have one and you want it to last the more time possible. Great! Learn this method for cleaning vinyl records. Remember that the process of reproducing vinyl it is so delicate that even a tiny particle resting on the surface of the record can damage its reproduction. That is why you have to take good care of your records. For having the best listening experience possible. And not only that! While CDs are read by the player with a laser, when it comes to vinyl, the stylus needs to physically touch the surface of the record. With that said you are also taking good care of your turntable by keeping your collection as clean as possible.

I will share with you a method that I have for cleaning vinyl. I have come out with it thanks to a huge research online of different methods. After some days of consolidating all the different strategies out there, I’ve concluded that this is maybe one of the best, easy, and cheap ways to do it. To be honest, the things you need for this method are probably in your home.

Check out the video and let me know if it was helpful to you or do you have any questions.

Cheers!

Edited by JammingWave

7 hours ago, HoneyFrosted said:

I was so ready to razz on this, but I actually kinda like this guy. Even the cheesy generic rock background is a little endearing. He definitely gives a shit.

Thanks! yes man, I do give a shit!

4 hours ago, ryantark said:

Especially when the word “easy” is followed by 9 required items. Then, a male bum cover. 

You can certainly find that one at home

I just made a new bottle of DIY record cleaning solution last night. Here's my method which I find to work great, and it's what a local (and renowned) record store uses... all of this in a spray bottle.

• A few drops of Seventh Generation regular dish soap (no scent, that's the brand I use but I've heard regular old Dawn could work). It has 0% dye, no scent, etc.
  • 91% Isopropyl alcohol (just under 25% of the bottle filled)
  • Distilled water filled to the neck of the bottle.
  • Spray onto a soft dish sponge and/or the record, gently wipe around record with the grooves.
  • Pat and wipe dry with a soft microfiber towel.
  • For the needle, I've always used a regular white Magic Eraser and just dropped the needle into it 3 or 4 times. 
Edited by defectiveepitaph

29 minutes ago, defectiveepitaph said:

I just made a new bottle of DIY record cleaning solution last night. Here's my method which I find to work great, and it's what a local (and renowned) record store uses... all of this in a spray bottle.

• A few drops of Seventh Generation regular dish soap (no scent, that's the brand I use but I've heard regular old Dawn could work) 
  • 91% Isopropyl alcohol (just under 25% of the bottle filled)
  • Distilled water filled to the neck of the bottle.
  • Spray onto a soft dish sponge and/or the record, gently wipe around record with the grooves.
  • Pat and wipe dry with a soft microfiber towel.
  • For the needle, I've always used a regular white Magic Eraser and just dropped the needle into it 3 or 4 times. 

That sound like a good recipe. I'm sure your vinyl will get clean. But you only dry them out with a microfiber cloth? Just wondering, because they might be a little bit wet, and that could damage the stylus.

Cheers!

Just now, JammingWave said:

That sound like a good recipe. I'm sure your vinyl will get clean. But you only dry them out with a microfiber cloth? Just wondering, because they might be a little bit wet, and that could damage the stylus.

Cheers!

The microfiber I use is more of a small towel than a cloth. It's not like the things you use to clean eyeglasses or electronics. The vinyl always comes totally dry after a minute or so of drying it off with that. It may also help to have a small fan/hairdryer to go over the album as it becomes dry alternating with the cloth. Certainly playing a wet record would probably cause issues later!

IMG_5185.jpg?v=1499810629

1 hour ago, defectiveepitaph said:

The microfiber I use is more of a small towel than a cloth. It's not like the things you use to clean eyeglasses or electronics. The vinyl always comes totally dry after a minute or so of drying it off with that. It may also help to have a small fan/hairdryer to go over the album as it becomes dry alternating with the cloth. Certainly playing a wet record would probably cause issues later!

IMG_5185.jpg?v=1499810629

Well said!