Jump to content
thievedrelic

Discogs now offering discounted Media shipping and printable labels

Recommended Posts

Just now, jrodan said:

this is really cool, but I still need to purchase a scale to make this work right?

Maybe, if you ship a lot of multiple-item boxes. If I ever sell anything, 2lbs for a 1xLP or 3lbs+ for a 2xLP seems to always cover the weight.

 

Discogs is touting this as "discounted" rate but it appears to still be more expensive than just paying for Media Mail at the post office, at least in my area. In the physical store I typically pay $3.20, whereas it's closer to $4 on Discogs for a 2lb mailer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good point, @lethalenforcer! thanks for the breakdown. usually my orders are definitely either one or 2 lps, so it looks like I can get by without a scale for most sold items. pretty stoked on finally getting on the pre-postage train. been meaning to sign up for endicia or stamps.com for awhile but was lazy. having it built into a platform I already use is the push I needed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lethalenforcer said:

Maybe, if you ship a lot of multiple-item boxes. If I ever sell anything, 2lbs for a 1xLP or 3lbs+ for a 2xLP seems to always cover the weight.

 

Discogs is touting this as "discounted" rate but it appears to still be more expensive than just paying for Media Mail at the post office, at least in my area. In the physical store I typically pay $3.20, whereas it's closer to $4 on Discogs for a 2lb mailer.

It does not weigh 2lbs to ship a record or 3lbs for a double. 

 

Your weights are off creating the differences between actual and hypothetical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, youspinmeround said:

It does not weigh 2lbs to ship a record or 3lbs for a double. 

 

Your weights are off creating the differences between actual and hypothetical

Two individual single LP's shipped last week, 1.7 lbs and 1.9 lbs on the scale.

$3.12 on PayPal, $3.22 at the PO (the same rates when labels are printed at 2lbs)

 

A 2xLP mailed yesterday, 2.4lbs on scale.

$3.61 on PayPal, $3.76 at the PO (the same rates when labels are printed at 3lbs)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lethalenforcer said:

Discogs is touting this as "discounted" rate but it appears to still be more expensive than just paying for Media Mail at the post office, at least in my area.

 

1 hour ago, dnl said:

Still cheaper to purchase through PayPal

 

Yop. This amazing new Discogs service not only costs more than shipping via PayPal, it isn't integrated with USPS records, it often negates PayPal seller protections, and it appears to have been programmed at the last minute by lazy grade-schoolers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Satan said:

So you guys are bickering over literal pennies. 

No one's even bickering. Seems like we're all on the same page that this is a useless Discogs feature.

 

5 hours ago, conedust said:

Yop. This amazing new Discogs service not only costs more than shipping via PayPal, it isn't integrated with USPS records, it often negates PayPal seller protections, and it appears to have been programmed at the last minute by lazy grade-schoolers. 

I'll stick with PayPal for the protection alone. I had to take a couple extra steps just to get a shipping quote. For some reason it required me to enter a buyer's phone number to proceed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×