Google Docs vs. Discogs for record collection list

Google Docs vs. Discogs  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which site do you prefer when tracking your record collection?

• Discogs
    • Google Docs

On 12/2/2017 at 2:51 PM, shamrocks said:

if discogs was smart they would let me know which items someone has in their collection are on my wantlist, whether they are for sale or not...i cant look through someones 2000 item collection piece by piece, but if i knew they had 10 things on my list, id be more inclined to buy from them.

do they not do that because they think it would encourage outside deals?

maybe they could have the option "offer on these items" or something

It's half there. You'll notice that when you click on the "Marketplace" for a release, it will show if that vendor has other items for sale that are in your want list. Also, you can view a list of every single person who owns a release on Discogs. If you go to the release, and then click on any of the links in the "Statistics" section on the right, it show you a list of everyone who owns it, making it possible to message people that may not have it up for sale, but might be willing to part with it.

As for own opinion, I'd say Discogs for the normal, lazy person like me. You can add things much easier than you could a spreadsheet, the fact that it's standardized certainly does help with Insurance stuff, and you can theoretically export things very easily. 

And thanks to this thread I might have a new side project to work on. I just thought of how cool it could be to have a middle-man app that uses both the Discogs and Goole Sheets APIs. IE you add something to your collection on Discogs, and then it automatically drops that data into a Google Sheet for you. Bonus for points for if I can get it to be customizable.

27 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

It's half there. You'll notice that when you click on the "Marketplace" for a release, it will show if that vendor has other items for sale that are in your want list. Also, you can view a list of every single person who owns a release on Discogs. If you go to the release, and then click on any of the links in the "Statistics" section on the right, it show you a list of everyone who owns it, making it possible to message people that may not have it up for sale, but might be willing to part with it.

yeah i know you can find it, but if you share your "Collection" link with me, I have no way of knowing if any of your 1000 records are in my wantlist, regardless of if they are for sale . Thats the function i want,

14 minutes ago, shamrocks said:

yeah i know you can find it, but if you share your "Collection" link with me, I have no way of knowing if any of your 1000 records are in my wantlist, regardless of if they are for sale . Thats the function i want,

So you want to be notified of people who have a record you want even if they don't want to sell it? Or am I misreading that?

not notified, but if i go to your collection, i could see what you have thats in my wantlist.  thats not a crazy idea is it?  i cant even dig through big collections when people are trying to sell with their discogs link. obviously notifying me when someone adds something to their collection isnt a great idea.  maybe its something that could be turned off/on, like "allow others to see blah blah blah"

9 minutes ago, shamrocks said:

not notified, but if i go to your collection, i could see what you have thats in my wantlist.  thats not a crazy idea is it?  i cant even dig through big collections when people are trying to sell with their discogs link. obviously notifying me when someone adds something to their collection isnt a great idea.  maybe its something that could be turned off/on, like "allow others to see blah blah blah"

It sounds like a good idea but I got way too many sale solicitations from my stupid DF list I made in 2010. Getting messages for 6 years over records i dont wanna sell was more annoying than I would have liked. An option would be nice but right now the only option I see is pricing what youbdont wanna sell at like 500 dollars but then people just harass you for the price instead of posting a proper offer to urge you into selling it.

26 minutes ago, shamrocks said:

11 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

It sounds like a good idea but I got way too many sale solicitations from my stupid DF list I made in 2010. Getting messages for 6 years over records i dont wanna sell was more annoying than I would have liked. An option would be nice but right now the only option I see is pricing what youbdont wanna sell at like 500 dollars but then people just harass you for the price instead of posting a proper offer to urge you into selling it.

Shelby said it as well as I could have for sure. I don't really want anyone messaging me seeing if I want to sell stuff. If I want to sell it I'll list it.

1 minute ago, shamrocks said:

yeah thats cool, i get it, but its also a nightmare to go through discogs collections, id rather look at a word document any day

Oh hell yeah I don't even bother looking at discogs sale links with 100+ releases that shit is a mess. The number one thing discogs needs to fix is that shit. If something isn't in your want list you won't find it lol

8 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Woof. That's why I just do graphic novels/collections. I have a list of titles/numbers that I still need, but I don't bother keeping a list of ones I have.

I only track my graphic novels and hardcovers now but I have over 300. I have to keep a list of what I own in the cloud so I don't accidentally pick up a duplicate. Its also useful since I highlight what I still need to read. I also have a sheet for my wantlist titles.

I wish there was a database for GNs as good as Discogs. I know that discogs has a comic database too, but the development isn't there yet. Same with a ton of other comic databases too.

9 hours ago, shamrocks said:

You can already go to a release page and see what users own a particular record, which is bad enough imo. I empathize with the rarity hunter, but I don't want people messaging me in hopes that I'll sell them my first pressing mewithoutYou records or whatever.

2 hours ago, dnl said:

I only track my graphic novels and hardcovers now but I have over 300. I have to keep a list of what I own in the cloud so I don't accidentally pick up a duplicate. Its also useful since I highlight what I still need to read. I also have a sheet for my wantlist titles.

I wish there was a database for GNs as good as Discogs. I know that discogs has a comic database too, but the development isn't there yet. Same with a ton of other comic databases too.

I seem to remember something like this conversation coming up in the comics thread a while back and someone mentioning that there was a budding site very similar to discogs for graphic novels. I don't feel like searching up the link right now, but if you go through that thread you might find it. I'd imagine STLBen probably knows what it is if you wanted to ask him, he's big into comics and stuff.

For me I have a few ongoing bits that I get as they come out in collected formats, and all of the Hellboy/BPRD/spinoffs and a few others that I've just picked up along the way. I'm not quite to the point that I need a full list of them yet though :)

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

It's not so much the messaging about records I wouldn't want to sell I would mind. It would be cheapskates and or flippers trying to get £100 records for 20p. I have enough of that nonsense on eBay. I did a deal on a Bowie record recently, bent over backwards with price and sending at a specific time etc. It was 'for a 40th Birthday Present'. 

Of course it was relisted by the buyer within 3 days.

The Discogs listings seem cut and dry to me - if you want an item, you place it in your wantlist and if a seller posts it the listing will pop. If it’s someone on the fence, they can put it up as “accepting offers.” I don’t see the value in being notified anytime someone adds it to their collection, other than knowing that one more person in the world owns it, and as others have said the simple “own/want” count on the item page should be sufficient for that. 

What’s being implied here with notifications for any addition is borderline vinyl collector stalking. The system is designed with a very intentional break between the seller listings and non-seller listings which I think is necessary. 

They are not going to make it where you can sell things easier unless it’s through them. That’s how they fund the site! If some one has something for sale it’s super easy to see if they have other things you want. Most of my purchases on there are 5-10 records at a time. 

I’m confused. 

I decided to cave and use discogs to sell all my items. I thought the huge upside was that you could sell straight from your collection, but now it seems like I have to add a record twice. Once for collection and once for inventory. Am I missing something?

Edited by Tidal Wave

following this because I use Recordnerd.com.  It's always seemed slick to me to add to and the interface is pretty clean.   I'm just afraid it's going to disappear some day so I've been considering Discogs migration - but don't like the interface.  First world probs going on here

2 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

I’m confused. 

I decided to cave and use discogs to sell all my items. I thought the huge upside was that you could sell straight from your collection, but now it seems like I have to add a record twice. Once for collection and once for inventory. Am I missing something?

I suppose that's true. I don't know how they could make it easier though, no matter what you'd still have to add a price and a text description in order to sell it. Usually I when I put a record up for sale I remove it from my "collection" since it's on its way out eventually.

28 minutes ago, AlexH. said:

I suppose that's true. I don't know how they could make it easier though, no matter what you'd still have to add a price and a text description in order to sell it. Usually I when I put a record up for sale I remove it from my "collection" since it's on its way out eventually.

Carrying over the condition and note comes to mind. Putting it automatically in a “for sale” folder is another. 

5 minutes ago, Tidal Wave said:

Carrying over the condition and note comes to mind. Putting it automatically in a “for sale” folder is another. 

Like I said earlier, the break between buying and selling seems to be very intentional on Discogs. I think they only collide when you’re asked if you want a newly purchased record to automatically be added to your collection after you make a Discogs purchase.

4 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

You mean not a lot sales when posting on google docs?

I was using google docs for myself but posting to message boards, Facebook groups, depop, and Craigslist. 

As for “I see what I was doing wrong” refers to adding my collection and then adding my inventory rather than doing them simultaneously.