VINYL MOON Appreciation Topic

bbsm9AC.jpg

They're doing a 12 days of Christmas thing right now and if you want to take advantage of the deal today ($20 off any sub) it's here: https://www.vinylmoon.co/12days/

I've been with nearly every Vinyl subscription service there is, and I've had an on and off relationship with the majority of them. The only one that I've stuck with through thick and thin has been Vinyl Moon, because they deliver quality every month.

Long story short, they're a "mixtape" record club. Each month there's a unique colored record that has 10 up and coming artists that are curated in a way that it provides a cohesive flow to listen through, like any good album should. I know a lot of music, and there are rarely any bands I've ever heard of, and month after month I'm pleasantly surprised with the majority of the bands on each compilation. 

They also work with a different visual artist each month do some kind of interesting packaging designs/features. The whole package they put together is of such high quality every month that I've never been able to bring myself to cancel. 

6a367a37228895.5739a60d39469.jpg

With the $20 off it's a no brainer to sign up for at least the 1-month because it'd be so cheap. You won't be disappointed if you appreciate a good looking record package and enjoy discovering new music. 

7 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Reads like a sales pitch lmao

Edit: VNYL YouTube paid sponser version of a thread right here lol

I'm not being paid or sent anything to post this 

Just trying to show people how to, at the VERY least, get a really cool record for under ten bucks. You can be a dick or you can take advantage of a good deal, IDGAF either way ;)

Edited by Kanye West

Just now, elvismcvegas said:

No, vinyl moon sucks. A mixtape on vinyl is stupid.

They're exceptional at what they do. If you think the concept is stupid, that's fair, but you can't say they don't nail it.  I mean if you're judging without trying it, you can, but that's not a very educated thing to do. 

2 minutes ago, AlexH. said:

Wow, these guys have pretty much found the most convenient and cost-effective way to discover new music - a $30 vinyl record with ten songs from various randos

If you don't like discovering music and want to stick to what you know, this isn't for you. If you don't like trying new coffee and want to drink whatever you buy, you wouldn't sign up for a coffee sub box. I'm telling you that I've enjoyed almost every song they've shown me, and found a few bands that I actively listen to outside of VM. YMMV.

Just now, Kanye West said:

If you don't like discovering music and want to stick to what you know, this isn't for you. If you don't like trying new coffee and want to drink whatever you buy, you wouldn't sign up for a coffee sub box. I'm telling you that I've enjoyed almost every song they've shown me, and found a few bands that I actively listen to outside of VM. YMMV.

Hey, let's not bring coffee into this...

This is minor, but I hate being told that buying someone's thing is a no-brainer. Also 'curated' has sufficiently become synonymous with trash in my mind.

Anyway, no. As someone who has never been part of any monthly record club (so grain of salt I guess) I have actively considered a LOT of different deals from several places, but this was the easiest pass I ever handed down. People give out label sampler cd's FO FREE and people don't listen to them, I do sometimes but it's never something where I thought it was a really well-thought out mix and someone should press it. It is often a random, incohesive mash of various genres. Again this is an example very similar to VNYL where you're trusting someone else to do things like 'curate' and create a 'flow' and it's just a waste of money when you could just trust yourself and buy an album you like. 

5 minutes ago, HoneyFrosted said:

This is minor, but I hate being told that buying someone's thing is a no-brainer. Also 'curated' has sufficiently become synonymous with trash in my mind.

Anyway, no. As someone who has never been part of any monthly record club (so grain of salt I guess) I have actively considered a LOT of different deals from several places, but this was the easiest pass I ever handed down. People give out label sampler cd's FO FREE and people don't listen to them, I do sometimes but it's never something where I thought it was a really well-thought out mix and someone should press it. It is often a random, incohesive mash of various genres. Again this is an example very similar to VNYL where you're trusting someone else to do things like 'curate' and create a 'flow' and it's just a waste of money when you could just trust yourself and buy an album you like. 

The difference between this and VNYL is that they send you 3 basic records you could buy at any store. This is an art piece. The visual artists they work with are unbelievable. You are supporting up and coming musicians, visual artists, and the company (which I'm assuming is quite small and grassroots) instead of supporting Nick Alt's money machine. 

I totally understand where you're coming from but the comparison to VNYL doesn't stick imo. 

ULTIMATELY for those reading this far down, it's really hard for me to explain why VM rocks without you getting it in your hand and listening to it. Today gives you the opportunity to do that for 10PPD. If you're open to the concept, this is the best chance to get in for a good price as far as I can tell. 

And I'm not just some 3 post person making an account for this. I've been a contributing member of the site for years and I'm just trying to tell ya'll about a good deal. Take it or leave it!

7 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Posting about a horrible 10PPD record deal is far more useless to the site than the awesome shit you've been spitting on here for years.

There, that's better!

Anyway, I'm outta this shit thread. Well, except for reading and upvoting the comments on how stupid this fucking thing is. 

As you were. 

Well I did my due diligence. I looked around at the site, I see a couple names I recognize, Richard Houghten, The Dig, a few others. I heard through a handful of tracks on a couple different albums, and yes, even though each one shakily touches on the 'theme', (putting curved synths in your song doesn't really count as 'space') this does not stop the sudden tone changes and the general crappiness of the music - no matter how many times you say 'curated' or point at the die-cut reflective hologram jackets,  90% of these songs sound like generic groove 'chill beats', because 90% of these 'up and comers' are just guys and girls with access to Ableton who can sometimes play guitar. You can guarantee no one album contains all songs you like, unless you're very easily pleased by any music whatsoever. Even when I can get into something - on Nightshining that first track by Kan Wakan is almost freak-folky - it's almost immediately followed up by some trite teenage R&B garbage with another and another breathy vocalist or some 'deep' electronic somethings. I randomly tried #14, From The Window,  which has a description that tells me some shit about how stuff happens in the home and there's two sides to every story or something, nothing nothing nothing about the music, and I got tricked into listening to Mallrat, which was the worst garbage I've had to hear since my friend started listening to ignorant trap music.  The themes and the cool vinyl colors and innovative jacket design and 'art pieces' count for zero if the music is bad, and I know if I even spent ten dollars I would have regarded it as a loss and a waste.

It absolutely IS comparable to VNYL - in it's early stages, anyway, where strangers picked stuff that sounded like X and mailed it to you and it was up to you to decide if it's worth twenty something a month to get something that kinda sorta sounds like X but it might be wildly bad and you don't like it, and you put it in the shelf and feel ripped off.

But, that's just, like, my opinion, man. If you enjoy this than all the more power to you. Just kinda speaking my mind here.

9 minutes ago, HoneyFrosted said:

Well I did my due diligence. I looked around at the site, I see a couple names I recognize, Richard Houghten, The Dig, a few others. I heard through a handful of tracks on a couple different albums, and yes, even though each one shakily touches on the 'theme', (putting curved synths in your song doesn't really count as 'space') this does not stop the sudden tone changes and the general crappiness of the music - no matter how many times you say 'curated' or point at the die-cut reflective hologram jackets,  90% of these songs sound like generic groove 'chill beats', because 90% of these 'up and comers' are just guys and girls with access to Ableton who can sometimes play guitar. You can guarantee no one album contains all songs you like, unless you're very easily pleased by any music whatsoever. Even when I can get into something - on Nightshining that first track by Kan Wakan is almost freak-folky - it's almost immediately followed up by some trite teenage R&B garbage with another and another breathy vocalist or some 'deep' electronic somethings. I randomly tried #14, From The Window,  which has a description that tells me some shit about how stuff happens in the home and there's two sides to every story or something, nothing nothing nothing about the music, and I got tricked into listening to Mallrat, which was the worst garbage I've had to hear since my friend started listening to ignorant trap music.  The themes and the cool vinyl colors and innovative jacket design and 'art pieces' count for zero if the music is bad, and I know if I even spent ten dollars I would have regarded it as a loss and a waste.

It absolutely IS comparable to VNYL - in it's early stages, anyway, where strangers picked stuff that sounded like X and mailed it to you and it was up to you to decide if it's worth twenty something a month to get something that kinda sorta sounds like X but it might be wildly bad and you don't like it, and you put it in the shelf and feel ripped off.

But, that's just, like, my opinion, man. If you enjoy this than all the more power to you. Just kinda speaking my mind here.

Honestly, very cool of you to give it a shot and see what it was about before immediately shitting on it. The enjoyment I get from each month is worth the money, to me. It may not be to others. I'd like to think that if they didn't have a sizable userbase they wouldn't be around after two years, so it's the kind of thing that either appeals to you, or it doesn't. Then again, I like "chillbeats" and I listen to a lot of downtempo and lo-fi hip hop stuff in the background so it provides excellent BG music each month if not something I can really dig into. 

I still, however, can't get behind the comparison to VNYL. Buying 3 generic records and sending them to someone is far less effort than seeking out (or being sought out by) bands and picking which ones should go in what order and then finding a visual artist that can bring the whole thing together (the coolest volume I have is a massive panorama 5 panel gatefold that has the most intricate "where's waldo" type design) -- it's a lot more creative entities in place than VNYL which buys records no one can get rid of at cheaper than wholesale prices and regurgitates them. 

I appreciate your response, regardless.

Edited by Kanye West