The Vinyl Bootleg Thread

Yeah, yeah, I know;  "bootlegging is immoral." But they're just so fascinating. 

Does anyone on here have any cool bootlegs on vinyl? I've got a few, but I'd love to see what some of you have in your collection.

I don't have many, but here's what I have: Green Day - Berkley Block Buster [Purple]Green Day - Pick A Winner [Green],  Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band - LIVE From The Roxy [Purple Marble] and Elektrik Haze vs Greendayz - Broken Dreamz [DJ Remix]Green Day - Radio Broadcasts Live [Green Marble]

I have a handful more on CD and cassette, but these are all the vinyl bootlegs I own at the moment. Show me yours!

Edited by MyckelJay
add.

Seems like a good place to bring this up: when did Discogs start blocking "unofficial releases" from sale? I noticed it a couple weeks ago that certain bootlegs or unofficial pressings have this notice in place of the section that usually shows stats for how many users have it in their collections, average price, etc:

This release has been blocked from sale in the marketplace. It is not permitted to sell this item on Discogs.

Example from my collection: https://www.discogs.com/Bullion-Presents-The-Beach-Boys-Vs-J-Dilla-Pet-Sounds-In-The-Key-Of-Dee/release/2058216

So why is Discogs a bunch of narcs now? Maybe gearing up to sell the site, or somehow go "legit" in some form?

I've got all the Kanye full-length boots , Channel Orange, Coloring Book, most of the Drake boots before they got official pressings, Ex-Military and maybe some more.

In addition to Discogs blocking boots, it's also frustrating that Vinyl-Digital no longer carries like 75% of what they used to for these hip-hop bootlegs. 

I've got a bootlegged QOTSA self-titled debut album, a Pink Floyd live bootleg (Havin' A Cigar), a Neurosis demos/compilation bootleg, a Catharsis bootleg, and a Faith No More live bootleg (We Fuck A Lot).  Most of them were picked up at Austin record conventions.  I really enjoy the FNM boot.  I felt like a real sucker when I found out the QOTSA self-titled was a boot though.  Whateva.

Edited by twatay
Hyperlinks added

32 minutes ago, AlexH. said:

So why is Discogs a bunch of narcs now? Maybe gearing up to sell the site, or somehow go "legit" in some form?

I noticed this a few months ago. I don't know how they choose which boots to blog for sale. Maybe they have a team that reports them and some just slip away??

It makes sense why they'd do it. As they take a portion of sales for every item that is sold on their marketplace, if the right-holder(s) were to take action, the site would likely be held responsible for allowing sales of illegal releases. It's a bummer, as some bootlegs are essential, but it's the law for a reason, I guess. 

45 minutes ago, AlexH. said:

Seems like a good place to bring this up: when did Discogs start blocking "unofficial releases" from sale? I noticed it a couple weeks ago that certain bootlegs or unofficial pressings have this notice in place of the section that usually shows stats for how many users have it in their collections, average price, etc:

Example from my collection: https://www.discogs.com/Bullion-Presents-The-Beach-Boys-Vs-J-Dilla-Pet-Sounds-In-The-Key-Of-Dee/release/2058216

It started a few months ago. It sucks, especially if you're collecting old live bootlegs from the 80s/90s that are already circulated and out there.

Speaking of...I have about 40 different R.E.M. bootlegs. Most of them from Discogs pre-2017 bootleg raid. I'd be glad to answer any Qs anyone might have about the very specific subject that is R.E.M. bootlegs.

Beyond those, I have 6-7 Talking Heads boots, that Green Day: Broadcasting Live bootleg, and a few other randoms that I'm not recalling.

Edit: I also have the Smashing Pumpkins at Del Mar Fairgrounds boot. I had the Nirvana: Live on KAOS boot but I sold that one. I didn't really need to edit this post to list those two but hey.

Edited by swb

9 hours ago, AlexH. said:

I think someone threatened to sue them because of what the other person said, they're technically profiting off the sale of boots, so they don't allow them to be sold now. They still allow you to catalogue them though.

I think it's been the last few months. I remember someone bringing it up a while back now.

I went through a huge bootleg phase that lasted a few years. I still listen to a lot of live material that I would purchase in a heartbeat if it went up for sale. But when the artist doesn’t sell it and I’ve purchased all the studio albums I don’t see the harm in bootlegging Live unreleased concerts. 

I have seveal tom petty and Van Morrison vinyl bootlegs that are some of my favorite records to listen to. I have others but those two artists are my favorite artists to hear Live material from. 

19 hours ago, amaestre said:

I just picked up the Alice In Chains "Facelift" boot on white vinyl from my local store.

12 hours ago, Skeezer13 said:

I've got Alice in chains s/t and jay-z 4:44

12 hours ago, Barry Zito said:

I picked up a bootleg of "Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea" by PJ Harvey a couple of years ago.

These are counterfeits not bootlegs.

I just recently started getting into bootlegs, mainly live Pink Floyd shows from their early years.  Live at Pompeii is a must.  Live in Montreux is excellent as well.  I also have live in NY '77, United 2005, and Memories of Boredom and Pain.  I also ordered a few Joy Division shows.  It's a shame they are so expensive though.  I'd really like to get Pink Floyd - Amsterdam Tea Party and a few others.  If you check Juno, they occasionally have boots for sale, some moderately priced.

I remember seeing a lot of boots at record stores in Europe.  One particular record store in Barcelona had a ton of boots that I really wish I would have bought.  Record show sellers usually have them, but again way too expensive.

If anyone has some Floyd they want to trade/sell let me know!