Vector53

Liquid-Filled Vinyl: Worth the headache?

So having just bought the John Carpenter vinyl, I'm starting to hear horror stories about liquid-filled records, so I just want to know who on here owns a liquid record and if it has leaked or not and if there are solutions to avoid the fate of losing the liquid if the sealant does begin to fail.

1 hour ago, Vector53 said:

So having just bought the John Carpenter vinyl, I'm starting to hear horror stories about liquid-filled records, so I just want to know who on here owns a liquid record and if it has leaked or not and if there are solutions to avoid the fate of losing the liquid if the sealant does begin to fail.

I own about 10 liquid filled records including many from Romanus, Fonoflo and the waxwork Friday the 13th. John Carpenter is my 1st to leak.

Edited by Saxonjulin

14 minutes ago, Saxonjulin said:

I own about 10 liquid filled records including many from Romanus, Fonoflo and the waxwork Friday the 13th. John Carpenter is my 1st to leak.

Let us know when the other 9 start lol

OP as long as you keep them somewhere that doesn't dip below 70 degrees you should be fine but if I were you I'd get rid of it before it leaks and you lose all the money you spent (assuming). Once that liquid gets any type of warmth it'll just eat away the seal.

3 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Let us know when the other 9 start lol

OP as long as you keep them somewhere that doesn't dip below 70 degrees you should be fine but if I were you I'd get rid of it before it leaks and you lose all the money you spent (assuming). Once that liquid gets any type of warmth it'll just eat away the seal.

Other than Friday the 13th most of mine are around 2 to 4 years old and not leaking yet. Im contacting sacred bones about the defect on JC

Every now and then while flipping through dusty used bins in shops, I come across one of those plastic mylar, liquid-filled sleeve releases that were trendy in the late 80s/early 90s (there’s some Alphaville 12” I spot constantly) and the liquid is all dried out, leaving behind this scummy, off color pattern inside the two layers of plastic, and lately I wonder if that’s the future of these liquid filled releases...