Reverb LP (new online marketplace)

DC1221

Looks like discogs has some new competition for buying and selling vinyl online.

https://lp.reverb.com/

Its run by the same people that run Reverb.com (as a guitar player, one of my favorite places to buy gear), but I'm really struggling with why they launched this. It seems a bit more confusing to navigate than Discogs, but also has a much lower selling fee (2%).  Also, on a few of the releases I've looked up, it looks like they've imported a lot of data directly from discogs. A real head scratcher for me.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've listed my records on there twice, both times for a several month stretch, and never made one sale. I don't have a huge amount of records I'm selling but I usually have a good 60-100 records for sale at any one time which is enough to get consistent sales on every other marketplace. After months of no sales but constantly having to edit my inventory, I gave up both times and unlisted everything.

I'm curious whether their user base heavily leans towards certain genres? Indie rock and pop punk/emo did not do well at all, in my experience. The site's look and feel makes it seem like the users would be older and into classic rock but that's an uneducated guess.

Edited by swb

On 3/13/2019 at 4:45 PM, mike said:

I’ve definitely snagged some great deals on their 20%-30% off weekends. 

I've never tried to sell anything, but agreed that the sales are great. I've also found a good amount of records that aren't listed on Discogs, so it's a good place to check for stuff sometimes.

• 10 months later...

Dear ,

I’m writing to let you know that on February 28, we will be shuttering Reverb LP. The decision to close this portion of our business was a difficult one, but one that will allow our team to fully focus on our core business of connecting buyers and sellers of musical instruments.

We started Reverb LP because, like you, we love records and the joy that holding a physical piece of music can bring. We’re proud of what we’ve built together and grateful for the opportunity to work with and learn from you. With your help, we connected thousands of fans with their favorite artists and music. Thank you for joining us on this journey and for letting us be part of yours. We’ve learned a lot from this passionate community, and we’re grateful for your support.

Reverb LP will remain up and running until February 28, 2020. After that, you won’t be able to process new orders, but you will be able to access your account through Reverb.com. If you have any questions, you can visit our Help Center for more information. Our team is also here to answer any additional questions you have.

Thank you for your support,

Kevin Drost
Chief Strategy Officer
Reverb

Womp womp, who could have predicted that scraping info from Discogs and using it to make a worse version of Discogs wouldn't be a runaway success. They did send me a box of LP mailers shortly after they started, which was cool.