PO: Alkaline Trio - Past Live albums

ejeffs

12 minutes ago, Never_Enough_Records said:

The last box set was limited to 500 and sold out pretty quick, so I wouldn't be surprised if this were a similar deal. 

I assume you're referring to this:

https://www.discogs.com/Alkaline-Trio-Past-Live-Vinyl-Box-Set/release/6433186

Which confuses me because of the name, yet it appears to be studio albums?  Are they live or studio albums?

6 minutes ago, mmhmm said:

Which confuses me because of the name, yet it appears to be studio albums?  Are they live or studio albums?

this part should answer your question:

Originally, this was to be present at the most recent “Past Live” shows. But due to production, they weren’t available in time. But now they are in stock and ready to go

8 minutes ago, Rottengoth said:

Yeah but it was still referred as the past live box set which I never understood. Anyways this shouldn’t be more than $250 since the last one was that price and it was housed in a wood box

Exactly.  The release notes on it don't clear up why it's called "Past Live" and apparently has all the studio albums...kind of a misnomer.  

49 minutes ago, mmhmm said:

It was all their studio albums on an exclusive color.

1 hour ago, MikeSantor said:

Me:

Im going to save some money this month like a real adult.

Also me:

im going to buy 2 of these box sets. One to keep unplayed in my collection and one to play the shit out of....

To each their own, but I've never understood the mentality of getting two to keep one sealed.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

To each their own, but I've never understood the mentality of getting two to keep one sealed.

I dont understand why so many people dont understand this. People do this in many different facets of collecting.  I shoot a lot of guns and lots of people have guns they run hard and bang up then ones that sit in the safe and stay pristine. Same exact concept. I collect  music just as much as I listen to it. So when we are talking about my all time favorite band's live recordings whichbi attended, im buying one to keep and one to collect.

I would have been into this is they did this like the Hot Water Music collection Rise put out. Pick a few songs from each night album and put it on one side each. 4xLP in one package as opposed to an 8 LP box set. Minus well just crack out the other box set. Pass.

17 minutes ago, MikeSantor said:

Yup thats why everything i have ever sold on discogs has been at or below cost. Nice try bro.

you seem defensive about that, but it's really only a good ~business decision.  I can't imagine they'll press lots of these (e.g., how big is the market for live albums?), so it'll likely be (a) ~rare and (b) able to be sold for a profit sometime down the road.  I wouldn't judge anyone who buys an extra copy with the intent to flip as anything other than ballsy (if this is more than $200, it's a pretty expensive gamble).

in any case, sorry for ~accusing you of being entrepreneurial; enjoy your sealed records!

52 minutes ago, MikeSantor said:

I dont understand why so many people dont understand this. People do this in many different facets of collecting.  I shoot a lot of guns and lots of people have guns they run hard and bang up then ones that sit in the safe and stay pristine. Same exact concept. I collect  music just as much as I listen to it. So when we are talking about my all time favorite band's live recordings whichbi attended, im buying one to keep and one to collect.

Wouldn't it have been easier just to say "one to use and one to jerk off to'"?

A couple things:

Comparing records to guns is crazy. The wear and tear from regular use on a firearm, and especially if you're running yours as hard as you claim/banging them around is infinitely more than on a record, which is usually handled with care, and when played on a properly calibrated setup is very little.

It's less that I didn't know why people do it, it's more that it is hard for me to wrap my head around the mentality that you feel the need to have two copies of a set of records so  you can keep one "pristine." Like I said though, to each their own. I'm not saying you shouldn't do you, I'm just saying it's not my bag.

Also, one to keep and one to collect sound like the same thing... I assume you mean one to play and one to stare at without opening.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage