PO NOW: Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy

I've known about this for a while and I'm glad it's finally happening:

Will Toledo always knew he would return to Twin Fantasy. He never did complete the work. Not really. Never could square his grand ambitions against his mechanical limitations. Listen to his first attempt, recorded at nineteen on a cheap laptop, and you’ll hear what Brian Eno fondly calls “the sound of failure” - thrilling, extraordinary, and singularly compelling failure. Will’s first love, rendered in the vivid teenage viscera of stolen gin, bruised shins, and weird sex, was an event too momentous for the medium assigned to record it. Early next year, on the heels of the smashing success of Teens of Denial, Car Seat Headrest will release a new version of Twin Fantasy. “It was never a finished work,” Will says, “and it wasn’t until last year that I figured out how to finish it.” He has, now, the benefit of a bigger budget, a full band in fine form, and endless time to tinker. According to him, it took eight months of mixing just to get the drums right. But this is no shallow second take, sanitized in studio and scrubbed of feeling. This is the album he always wanted to make. It sounds the way he always wanted it to sound. It’s been hard, stepping into the shoes of his teenage self, walking back to painful places. There are lyrics he wouldn’t write again, an especially sad song he regards as an albatross. But even as he carries the weight of that younger, wounded Will, he moves forward. He grows. He revises, gently, the songs we love so much. In the album’s final moments, in those apologies to future me’s and you’s, there is more forgiveness than fury. This, Will says, is the most vital difference between the old and the new: he no longer sees his own story as a tragedy.

Vinyl (2018 version): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0789TBY58/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2xCD (Disc 1 2011 version / Disc 2 2018 version) https://www.amazon.com/Twin-Fantasy-Car-Seat-Headrest/dp/B0788YKX3C/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1514409189&sr=8-10&keywords=twin+fantasy+car+seat

Edited by DecayToDeath

2 minutes ago, RockPuppetz said:

How did you know? Do you know if there is a more limited version coming as well? 
EDIT: Shit is the vinyl a 2018 rerecording? That would be lame.

There will be a vinyl version of the 2011 version as well. I have pretty high hopes for the 2018 version, though. I will be buying both without hesitation.

Edited by DecayToDeath

Just now, HoneyFrosted said:

Hesitant. Would like some more official info first.

Sounds like a remaster, but I don't know why they don't just say 'remaster' if that's the case.

It's not a remaster, the 2011 is the original album (well, technically the third mix since Will has gone back and changed it a few times) and the 2018 is a re-recorded and updated version of the album with some changes and utilizes the full band (see: the new version of Beach Life-In-Death that was released earlier this month).

Just now, DecayToDeath said:

It's not a remaster, the 2011 is the original album (well, technically the third mix since Will has gone back and changed it a few times) and the 2018 is a re-recorded and updated version of the album with some changes and utilizes the full band (see: the new version of Beach Life-In-Death that was released earlier this month).

I see. I guess I've been behind, but off the bat that doesn't sound like a great idea, I'll have to explore this further.

Just now, HoneyFrosted said:

I see. I guess I've been behind, but off the bat that doesn't sound like a great idea, I'll have to explore this further.

I don't know when the official announcement is or how much I'm really allowed to say but if you end up hating the new one there will also be a vinyl run of the original album. I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge CSH fan, believe me, I'm skeptical too, but based on what I've heard of the album so far, I do definitely have some faith.

Here's a little insight into Will's thought process on this one: 

“It was never a finished work,” Will says, “and it wasn’t until last year that I figured out how to finish it.” He has, now, the benefit of a bigger budget, a full band in fine form, and endless time to tinker. According to him, it took eight months of mixing just to get the drums right. But this is no shallow second take, sanitized in studio and scrubbed of feeling. This is the album he always wanted to make. It sounds the way he always wanted it to sound. It’s been hard, stepping into the shoes of his teenage self, walking back to painful places.

I'm gonna add this to the OP

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, openupyourskull said:

Well shit, looks like I'm doing RSD for the first time in years.

I also want to hate the new Nervous Young Inhumans SO bad since I adore the original but damn, this is a banger.

I like the main part of the song but it does irk me (even if I understand why he did it) that he removed the galvanistic outro and changed it to something completely different, albeit less relatable

3 minutes ago, DecayToDeath said:

I like the main part of the song but it does irk me (even if I understand why he did it) that he removed the galvanistic outro and changed it to something completely different, albeit less relatable

Yeah, that's one of the biggest pitfalls for me as well :/

• 2 weeks later...

Cute Thing is out.

I’ve actually gone back on my opinion and decided I like the original BLID better than the new one (and I’ve always felt the older NYI better too. 

As for the updated Cute Thing, though, there are aspects of it I prefer in the original but overall I’m impressed. It’s  a lot like how he plays it live, which is cool.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been sitting with this album for a few weeks and I'm excited for everyone to finally hear it. I was skeptical at first because I was just comparing it to the original, but treating it as a project that's unrelated...he's done it again. It's really amazing what he's done here.

Side note: I got my copy signed at Amoeba the other day after an in-store performance and finally met Will! 

• 7 months later...

Mirror to Mirror (original) version is getting a non-RSD pressing on white vinyl instead of black:

https://store.matadorrecords.com/twin-fantasy-mirror-to-mirror

God dammit, Matador.... if I hadn't gone on and on for the past few years about how one of my biggest vinyl dreams was this album on double white vinyl I wouldn't be double dipping on this, but I did so I am. <_< Meh, I'll probably just offload the black pressing.

Just now, openupyourskull said:

Mirror to Mirror (original) version is getting a non-RSD pressing on white vinyl instead of black:

https://store.matadorrecords.com/twin-fantasy-mirror-to-mirror

God dammit, Matador.... if I hadn't gone on and on for the past few years about how one of my biggest vinyl dreams was this album on double white vinyl I wouldn't be double dipping on this, but I did so I am. <_< Meh, I'll probably just offload the black pressing.

/4000