Distortion with AT-LP120 and Edifier R1280T powered bookshelf speakers

I recently moved and, rather than pay to ship my old sound system and risk serious damage, figured it would be more prudent to buy a relatively low-cost, new one.  Amazon had (and still has) a deal on the combined purchase of the Audio Technica LP120 turntable and Edifier R120T bookshelf speakers, so I went for that. Both products seemed to be favorably reviewed. I haven't experimented with them too much, as I don't really trust myself, but so far, everything with a guitar or bass sounds extremely distorted, even at low volumes. I tried moving the speakers further apart and adjusting the counterweight, as I thought the cartridge might be dragging on the record, neither of which had any effect. I've searched reviews of both products and can't seem to find anybody experiencing similar difficulties. Any idea what might be going on here?

On 1/3/2018 at 6:30 PM, shesdeadjim said:

...combined purchase of the Audio Technica LP120 turntable and Edifier R120T bookshelf speakers, so I went for that. Both products seemed to be favorably reviewed. I haven't experimented with them too much, as I don't really trust myself, but so far, everything with a guitar or bass sounds extremely distorted, even at low volumes... ...Any idea what might be going on here?

Do you have the red-and-white RCA cables from the turntable plugged in to the AUX jacks or the PC jacks on back of the right speaker?

I'm thinking you need to be using the AUX jacks.

Edited by Gelid
Shorten the quote