Brainiac- Smack Bunny Baby and Bonsai Superstar Reissues

Here's what Midheaven had to say in their email sent to subscribers:

This coming Tuesday we’ll begin shipping two LPs from Brainiac, “Smack Bunny Baby” (1993 debut) and 1994’s “Bonsai Superstar”. Both bits of vinyl from this Dayton, Ohio band have been long out of print but now they’re back, limited to 500 copies and both are essential to newcomers to — and experts on -- ‘90s independent rock. 

Here's the link in case you want to see for yourself: https://us2.campaign-archive.com/?e=&u=0ccde16a4d12ea93525f07c56&id=7d7683bac6

My copies arrived from Juno today (apols to that dude who missed out).

I don't know what to say kids, but these look like legit 90's copies.

The sleeves match with ones I've seen, right down to the manufactured and traded by Dutch East India Trading/Grass Records credits and barcodes on the rear. 

6 hours ago, moodist said:

My copies arrived from Juno today (apols to that dude who missed out).

I don't know what to say kids, but these look like legit 90's copies.

The sleeves match with ones I've seen, right down to the manufactured and traded by Dutch East India Trading/Grass Records credits and barcodes on the rear. 

Hi. any chance you can tell us what is in the deadwax on side a and b? It would be greatly appreciated 

58 minutes ago, Jimmarcucci said:

Hi. any chance you can tell us what is in the deadwax on side a and b? It would be greatly appreciated 

I got a copy of Bonsai Superstar earlier today.

Side A: GROW046 S-30338 A  28451.1(2)... A GOLDEN

Side B: GROW046 S-30338 B  28451.2(2)...A GOLDEN

Edited by KaitouG
bought today

...and I ended up getting SBB as well.

Side A: GROW04-1 S-28031 A  28461.1(3)... A GOLDEN

Side B: GROW04-1 S-28031-B  28461.2(3)...A GOLDEN

Can anyone compare the deadwax info with the OG pressings? These reissues sound great btw.

Edited by KaitouG
numbers are hard

On 1/7/2018 at 12:47 AM, KaitouG said:

...and I ended up getting SBB as well.

Side A: GROW04-1 S-28031 A  28461.1(3)... A GOLDEN

Side B: GROW04-1 S-28031-B  28461.2(3)...A GOLDEN

Can anyone compare the deadwax info with the OG pressings? These reissues sound great btw.

This is the deadwax per discogs on OG Bonsai

• Matrix / Runout (Side a): GROW 046-1A 5-30338 mss
  • Matrix / Runout (Side b): GROW 046-1B 5-30339 mss sw
  • Barcode: 017531504617

2 hours ago, Jimmarcucci said:

I just posted the deadwax for the original press on discogs. I also contacted all of the dudes selling their repress as original so they are at least aware. 

On 1/5/2018 at 4:48 PM, jrodan said:

we all want the scoop!

I love how Jim edited all his original posts where he was arguing that he had the inside scoop and these were originals that were found but now has completely changed the story.

So please tell us that inside scoop you had

13 hours ago, youspinmeround said:

I love how Jim edited all his original posts where he was arguing that he had the inside scoop and these were originals that were found but now has completely changed the story.

So please tell us that inside scoop you had

I sent you a pm 

Share the scoop!
Also, got my copy of Bonsai Superstar and it seemed new, as in there was nothing strange about the shrinkwrap and the jacket and everything seemed brand new, not NOS.

The distributor failed to send any Smack Bunny Baby's to my shop, but they were able to fix the problem and they should be there any day. The guy at the shop said it was also the weirdest dealing he's had with the distributor because they ghosted him over why he didn't get any.  Just to add to the saga of these releases. 

Got my copy of Smack Baby Bunny. Does anyone also think the cover seems really badly reproduced? That silver doll figure thing looks awful. I looked a pictures of the original on Discogs and it doesn't seem that bad at all.

Another guy in this thread also mentioned that no rights were received from Grass Records and that this is essentially a bootleg. What's the source for that info?

Usually with a release that’s limited to 500 or less, retail gets kind of screwed on getting copies. I’ve also  seen Midhaven/Revolver not be the best distro for a lot of bands.

The cover for Smack Baby does look a little off. Failure style. Most major label represses I’ve come across have been this way. Not having the right files, which usually means not commissioned by the band, or shit got lost. Been 20+ years.

And if Grass doesn’t get any money from this, good. Fuck them. They have enough Creed and Evenesence money anyways, they should have known to do this, and a fe other gems in their catalog, themselves. 

Edited by MyEnemy