Record Store Day 2018

13 minutes ago, ethereal said:

have fun sitting in line for a tote bag or cardboard 3D box lmao 

I understand you are trying to be facetious but if you have the right store it's a blast. The store I go to has live music, beer and breakfast. Sounds good to me.

If you have a good store around, give it a shot! I'm sure most of them could use the extra support.

Edited by JustSchwimmer

39 minutes ago, JustSchwimmer said:

I understand you are trying to be facetious but if you have the right store it's a blast. The store I go to has live music, beer and breakfast. Sounds good to me.

If you have a good store around, give it a shot! I'm sure most of them could use the extra support.

Or just go on a normal day. Y'know...instead of going once per year, drop in at other times!

8 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Or just go on a normal day. Y'know...instead of going once per year, drop in at other times!

So wondering if everyone would comment on how many “newbies” or first time record store goers are at RSD at ur local shops. The one I go to normally is 80-90% people I see weekly/monthly not a bunch of people that only come for that one day

6 minutes ago, ethanpricington said:

So wondering if everyone would comment on how many “newbies” or first time record store goers are at RSD at ur local shops. The one I go to normally is 80-90% people I see weekly/monthly not a bunch of people that only come for that one day

I think you are about right, 15% or so are the types that only go once, everyone else is a frequent visitor.

1 hour ago, JustSchwimmer said:

I guess I’m in the minority that would rather sleep than voluntarily waste money/be in crowds. I absolutely love shops, including my local, but there’s no reason to be at RSD if I don’t have to be.

it’s a circus 

4 minutes ago, ethereal said:

I guess I’m in the minority that would rather sleep than voluntarily waste money/be in crowds. I absolutely love shops, including my local, but there’s no reason to be at RSD if I don’t have to be.

it’s a circus 

I can totally understand this. Especially if you're living in freakin Los Angeles lol I bet it is a circus, especially if you're talking specifically about Ameoba Hollywood, I've seen videos. I'm just a country bumpkin tho here in central Oklahoma and the shop I go to in OKC is fairly less-circus-like. I get there about 7-8am depending on the releases that year and am usually 10-15th in line at that point. Always free beer, coffee, breakfast and extra discounts on everything else. 

So I guess maybe I'm in the minority who love RSD just for the fact its another excuse for me to tell my wife I "have to go" to record store today lol 

1 hour ago, JustSchwimmer said:

I go to one shop here nearly every week, and last RSD I went at about 2am. It was great, they had a sign up list so you didn't have to stand in a terrible line all night, a fire pit, and music playing. People were just hanging out talking records and music. If you wanted to hop in your car and take a nap you could, it's in a nice area so you can walk around the neighborhood too. Then a couple hours before they open the bring donuts from a local shop and local coffee roasters come out and you get free breakfast. 

I understand not all of them are like this. I was basically done with RSD until I decided to do that on a whim last year and it was my favorite one yet. 

53 minutes ago, serum7 said:

I go to one shop here nearly every week, and last RSD I went at about 2am. It was great, they had a sign up list so you didn't have to stand in a terrible line all night, a fire pit, and music playing. People were just hanging out talking records and music. If you wanted to hop in your car and take a nap you could, it's in a nice area so you can walk around the neighborhood too. Then a couple hours before they open the bring donuts from a local shop and local coffee roasters come out and you get free breakfast. 

I understand not all of them are like this. I was basically done with RSD until I decided to do that on a whim last year and it was my favorite one yet. 

This sounds great.  I've always been up to something else on RSD but am thinking about hitting it up this year.  What's the best store to get to in Cinci, and Louisville for that matter; these are the two places I'll most likely be on that day.

39 minutes ago, MicLima said:

This sounds great.  I've always been up to something else on RSD but am thinking about hitting it up this year.  What's the best store to get to in Cinci, and Louisville for that matter; these are the two places I'll most likely be on that day.

Plaid Room Records for Cinci for sure. Shake It Records, Black Plastic, and Everybody's Records are within a half hour of that as well if you want to make a morning/afternoon of it. I'm sure there's a few more in the area, specifically at least a couple right across the river in KY you could hit too, but I'm not familiar with them. 

5 minutes ago, serum7 said:

Plaid Room Records for Cinci for sure. Shake It Records, Black Plastic, and Everybody's Records are within a half hour of that as well if you want to make a morning/afternoon of it. I'm sure there's a few more in the area, specifically at least a couple right across the river in KY you could hit too, but I'm not familiar with them. 

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to check out Plaid Room next time I'm up there.

If the boxset isn't ridiculously priced, I might pick it up. I don't own any of their records but definitely enjoy the music. So, it would be cool to buy them all in one shot. Idk if that's enough to get me outta bed early though. Hopefully, there's some other stuff.

Welp the good news isn’t I’m only $999.99 short of owning this box set

Shouts to RTJ for being dope af & shouts to the RTJ resale community for making me rich & poor at the same time...

oh & shouts to RSD too for getting me out of bed at 2am on a Saturday before I even went to sleep so I can roll the dice at literally 1 item I probably won’t get anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯