Record Store Day 2018

1 minute ago, amaestre said:

Not a flipper but starting auctions at 2x retail... hmmm

ebay listing fees, ebay commission fees, paypal commission fees, cost of shipping supplies, cost of time and other costs.  ill be breaking even, maybe making a few bucks... unless people wanted to drive the bids up then maybe but that's there choice not flippin'

Just now, CVHX said:

wait... so The Used isnt the greatest rock and roll band of all time?!?

Not even ironically, nope.  What's more is that I don't believe the kid even owns vinyl by them.  It was a pretty sad revelation to find out his entire life is a fabrication; personally the closest thing to realizing Santa isn't real, as an adult.

1 minute ago, tug said:

ebay listing fees, ebay commission fees, paypal commission fees, cost of shipping supplies, cost of time and other costs.  ill be breaking even, maybe making a few bucks... unless people wanted to drive the bids up then maybe but that's there choice not flippin'

This is just incorrect with 200% sale prices.  Please die in a tire fire.

34 minutes ago, bigadadw said:

These prices on ebay for Sufjan Stevens - Mystery Of Love  are just stupid imo  $70+ or more and the lowest price ones are from sellers with god awful feedback. My last hope seems I guess is bullmoose tomorrow which likely will have small stock too or none. I couldn't get an answer from their vinyl department on twitter, they were kinda clueless.

I'm just going to buy the standard vinyl tomorrow if bullmoose doesn't work out. Honestly had no clue it would be this hard to get with those print numbers.

Everyone keeps saying this, but the Carrie and Lowell clear/10000 was super hard to come by too. I'm not sure why people thought this one would be easy to grab; it was the first thing I went for when I got inside the store because I figured it would go faster than anything else. Grabbed my two other items I wanted and went back to see if any were left and they were gone.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Everyone keeps saying this, but the Carrie and Lowell clear/10000 was super hard to come by too. I'm not sure why people thought this one would be easy to grab; it was the first thing I went for when I got inside the store because I figured it would go faster than anything else. Grabbed my two other items I wanted and went back to see if any where left and they were gone.

I figured with the pressing #'s it would be easier & someone like Taylor Swift with the lower numbers would have been harder to purchase. I havent kept up with the Call me by your name vinyl either ( the blue and yellow I just saw go for huge amounts of money) Never thought it would be easy, didnt think it would be this hard. I couldn't make it to a record shop today, so I just figured I would still have a chance today online ( I saw a couple of online shops had it earlier, but thats on me to fail to get one)

13 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Everyone keeps saying this, but the Carrie and Lowell clear/10000 was super hard to come by too. I'm not sure why people thought this one would be easy to grab; it was the first thing I went for when I got inside the store because I figured it would go faster than anything else. Grabbed my two other items I wanted and went back to see if any were left and they were gone.

You could still find Carrie and Lowell for $40 two years after it was released, and that was much more popular. 

8 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

The price of Scotch tape has skyrocketed in the past year. Thanks, Obama!

nobody ships a record like me...I take to cardboard squares and put one on front and one on back.  then I take a bubble evelope and cut in into 4 corner pieces and put one on each corner then I put that into a record mailer.  it is the best safest way to ship a record and no one else seems to understand this.

1 minute ago, tug said:

nobody ships a record like me...I take to cardboard squares and put one on front and one on back.  then I take a bubble evelope and cut in into 4 corner pieces and put one on each corner then I put that into a record mailer.  it is the best safest way to ship a record and no one else seems to understand this.

You're a true hero.

2 minutes ago, tug said:

lol so Trump like

Put this in the online sales thread, but thought I would also drop it in here. Yesterday, Numero Group released a limited to 100 pressing on "skittles" colored vinyl of their Savage Young Du boxset at their Chicago pop up shop. I was able to snag one, but their remaining stock is now online.  

22 minutes ago, tug said:

You are the Donald trump of record selling/shipping.

23 minutes ago, Lugubrious said:

You could still find Carrie and Lowell for $40 two years after it was released, and that was much more popular. 

For the few months immediately after release the price was crazy though. I imagine in two years you'll be able to find this around that price too.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

For the few months immediately after release the price was crazy though. I imagine in two years you'll be able to find this around that price too.

If we all just wait until the post-apocalyptic Zombieverse we’re inevitable hurtling towards, we’ll all be able to loot these releases for free between ammo and bottled water runs.

Problem solved!!

3 hours ago, tug said:

well like last year RSD this year I bought 100ish records as gifts for friends and they were all denied and I did not want to screw a mom and pop shop by returning them so ebay is my only option.   do not get mad as this is not an a-hole flipper but a good vinyl guy being good to other vinylers who may have missed out on these.  ill only start the auctions at 2x the retail price to make up for shipping, fees, and supplies.  ill be posting links in the near future once I get it all situated.

Mods, please swap 1 Tug for 1 GatorPrideSonnn

RSD was awesome for me, I've been on both sides of the counter but this was my first experience managing a record store for RSD. We gave out donuts and coffee for the morning crowd, had local artists perform from open until close. Raffled off concert tickets, new cds, new and used LPs including a gold copy of the Drive soundtrack, brushes and cleaning fluid, a carrying case for 45s filled with rare 45s, some rare Linda ronstadt records (it's an inside joke unless you have been to my shop, we got a collection containing every Linda Ronstadt record or single on any format including 8 track and also variants on just about every country of release from Japan to Argentina, so we did a test pressing and an import picture sleeve and a picture disc LP for the raffle). It was humbling to see that many people having a great time and buying physical media. Sales were up a sizable amount from the previous year, so I'm beaming with pride. I oversaw all the ordering and spent countless hours prepping and it was well worth all the effort, and my staff was on point the whole time and leading up to the event, I could not have done it without them. I rewarded them with gourmet pizza. I in turn was also rewarded because at the end of the day I was still able to grab the Tim Armstrong, Dessa 7" and The Grant Green Slick set. I did snipe one thing and it was the Sundays but I had the other 2 and I was damned if I was going to miss this one but I paid sticker price.  Luckily the other local had a Bert Jansch, so all I missed out on from my list was the Gene Clark and I think I have a line on a leftover. Fantastic experience all and all but I am exhausted.