Preoccupations (fka Viet Cong) - New Material (3/23)

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, YouTwo said:

The price that the LP is going for is what some would charge for an EP.

It's the same price as S/t and viet cong in jagjaguwars store. It makes sense since it's a full LP.

the last 2 songs are just really weak imo. Which is slightly a downer since the # of tracks is already at 8

maybe I'm being too picky ::shrug

28 minutes ago, laughingstalk said:

What a silly notion.  This isn't broccoli.

Not entirely sure if you’re trolling or just being naive... but in case it needs to be said - which it probably does, considering the board we’re on - most adults process music a bit more thoroughly after more than one listen.  Knee-jerk first impressions are just fine, but get a much better perspective of an album’s offerings and longevity after 3-4 listens over the course of a month or more.

9 hours ago, hobbesthecat said:

It's the same price as S/t and viet cong in jagjaguwars store. It makes sense since it's a full LP.

the last 2 songs are just really weak imo. Which is slightly a downer since the # of tracks is already at 8

maybe I'm being too picky ::shrug

That last song is out of place. An instrumental ambient to noise blast track to end the record

On 29/01/2018 at 7:12 PM, jeromium said:

I pre-ordered the splatter version right away, but wish they'd gone with orange like the CD for the "standard" first press. Now there's the Rough Trade limited orange? Dammit I don't need two copies. 

I don’t actually think there’s an orange variant via Jagjaguwar, they probably saw the picture of the CD and figured it was the vinyl. Seems weird they don’t have a grey splatter up for listing, and it shares the same catalogue number as the grey pressing on the UK Rough Trade site.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2018 at 7:45 AM, lethalenforcer said:

https://roughtrade.com/us/music/preoccupations-new-material

"Orange vinyl" at RT - I'm assuming this is different than the Canadian version and is solid/translucent. Who knows.

What happened to the orange RT version? Still mentioned on this page, but "LP+" is defined further down the page as "Gray-black streaked" like the Jagjaguwar version. And it's not on Discogs. Weird.

Anyway the album's quite good - I had only listened to Espionage once, maybe twice prior to release and none of the other songs. Expectations weren't too high, as I'm still a bigger fan of the more raw Viet Cong material, but I'm not disappointed in this. Just wish it was a little longer.

Just now, jeromium said:

What happened to the orange RT version? Still mentioned on this page, but "LP+" is defined further down the page as "Gray-black streaked" like the Jagjaguwar version. And it's not on Discogs. Weird.

Anyway the album's quite good - I had only listened to Espionage once, maybe twice prior to release and none of the other songs. Expectations weren't too high, as I'm still a bigger fan of the more raw Viet Cong material, but I'm not disappointed in this. Just wish it was a little longer.

I don’t think there was ever an orange variant.  Closest is Flemish’s colorway; clear with orange swirl.

On 3/27/2018 at 12:57 PM, Derek™ said:

I don’t think there was ever an orange variant.  Closest is Flemish’s colorway; clear with orange swirl.

Seems that way, although this was confusing: "Available here on Limited Edition Orange Colored LP, Standard LP, CD and Cassette Tape" as it's described simply as orange compared to Flemish Eye's "Orange & Clear", and RT usually would have their own variant. Maybe it was scrapped and they forgot to remove that copy, since the limited one RT is actually selling is gray.

Just now, jeromium said:

Seems that way, although this was confusing: "Available here on Limited Edition Orange Colored LP, Standard LP, CD and Cassette Tape" as it's described simply as orange compared to Flemish Eye's "Orange & Clear", and RT usually would have their own variant. Maybe it was scrapped and they forgot to remove that copy, since the limited one RT is actually selling is gray.

That could be plausible.  I just know that I've been following this thread and release since day 1, and would've definitely sprung for an orange variant if I had ever seen one pop up.  That streaky grey variant is rather underwhelming.