PO Now: Decemberists "I'll Be Your Girl"

10 hours ago, ntslash said:

Was holding out to see what the Exploded Edition was. It looks cool, but it's stupidly impractical. No album is worth flipping and cleaning 16 sides to listen to. 

The way I see it, it was kinda expected to get a 7" set.

I mean they are already releasing 4 colored 12" vinyl versions and a black one.

The artwork is very playful so that book feels very cool and gives the feeling that the elements "come to life" by adding the third dimension when popping out.

It is definitely the kind of limited edition release that is meant for collectors ie. will not be used much so I definitely understand what you mean.

That said, I am a huge fan of the band so I am buying multiple versions of this release including the 7" set and I really like it.

Edited by trickster

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2018 at 10:25 PM, Fowty Dollaz said:

So the /2000 orange (and signed, though I pre-ordered prior to that addition) showed up today. It's a nice package. I'll probably spin it when the wife gets home. 

Also, the box it came in could easily hold 10 records, so that's...something.

Interesting thing about the mailer.

Can you please give me some more info about it?

I am waiting mine and I fear the sleeve won't arrive in great condition (USA to Greece with the cheapest shipping option).

Is it oversized like the whiplash mailers? Is there enough padding?

22 minutes ago, trickster said:

Interesting thing about the mailer.

Can you please give me some more info about it?

I am waiting mine and I fear the sleeve won't arrive in great condition (USA to Greece with the cheapest shipping option).

Is it oversized like the whiplash mailers? Is there enough padding?

It's a standard size/ type of mailer filled with paper. If you stacked about 10 records they'd easily fit in the box. I wouldn't be too concerned, mine was literally mint condition. I just thought the box was a little excessive. Hopefully yours, going overseas, is packed up even better.

On ‎2018‎/‎03‎/‎17 at 5:20 PM, scottheisel said:

This record is really good. “Everything Is Awful” is already my favorite song of 2018. 

My first listen was digitally on my computer, at a super low volume while my baby was sleeping next door hahah!  So it was pretty hard to judge it fairly - but so far I like the album!  I don't think it'll top WATW, WABW, but it's certainly got some good stuff going on.  Can't wait to give my vinyl copy a proper listen soon!

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Oilerguy said:

Hey everyone!  So I finally got my exploded edition in - and there was something extra tucked into the shipping box. Did everyone get a Test Pressing??

I have not personally ordered this, so I cannot speak from experience, but if I remember correctly they did a promotion where if you ordered the exploded edition before a certain date you were entered to win a test pressing of one of the discs in the set. So, I'd say you were lucky enough to get one. Congrats!

7 hours ago, Oilerguy said:

Hey everyone!  So I finally got my exploded edition in - and there was something extra tucked into the shipping box. Did everyone get a Test Pressing??

So lucky!!! Congrats!

Was the test pressing sealed inside the book or it was just put in the mailer?

Can you post a pic of it please?

Edited by trickster

7 hours ago, trickster said:

So lucky!!! Congrats!

Was the test pressing sealed inside the book or it was just put in the mailer?

Can you post a pic of it please?

Thanks!  I got confused when I opened up the box because of the Third Man label - I thought maybe it was a Vault shipment or something at first!  It wasn't sealed in the book...it was just loose in the larger shipping box, just sort of floating on top.

I suck at posting photos on here, so check them out on my Discogs submission:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Decemberists-Test-Pressing-3-Ill-Be-Your-Girl-Exploded-Edition-7-Once-In-My-LifeCutting-Stone/release/12185908

1 hour ago, Oilerguy said:

Thanks!  I got confused when I opened up the box because of the Third Man label - I thought maybe it was a Vault shipment or something at first!  It wasn't sealed in the book...it was just loose in the larger shipping box, just sort of floating on top.

I suck at posting photos on here, so check them out on my Discogs submission:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Decemberists-Test-Pressing-3-Ill-Be-Your-Girl-Exploded-Edition-7-Once-In-My-LifeCutting-Stone/release/12185908

So so cool!

Thanks for the link.

I guess mine didnt come with a test pressing then

• 4 months later...
On 11/16/2018 at 3:37 AM, lethalenforcer said:

Does anyone know if this colour way is going to be exclusive to the web store, or if this cool yellow/gold will be standard retail too?  Thanks for the help!

On 11/18/2018 at 1:11 PM, Oilerguy said:

Does anyone know if this colour way is going to be exclusive to the web store, or if this cool yellow/gold will be standard retail too?  Thanks for the help!

The Amazon description now includes "pressed on 10" yellow vinyl." So, I would have to imagine yellow is the standard release.