PO Soon: Hop Along - Bark Your Head Off, Dog (April 6)

3 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I moved so no. Jelly though

Glad I didn't miss this one. Painted Shut is still one of the only limited variants I've missed ever. Haha

I didn't get one either :/ I'm hoping they ship extras with the preorders like they did with the big thief flexis.

I missed that as well but ended up buying one on discogs. I'm still kicking myself in the head for waiting to buy the limited big thief.

And they're gone...BUT they added another tricolor limited to 750...

51 minutes ago, alllexm said:

I didn't get one either :/ I'm hoping they ship extras with the preorders like they did with the big thief flexis.

Ithat as well but ended up buying one on discogs. I'm still kicking myself in the head for waiting to buy the limited big thief.

" Saddle Creek Store Exclusive : Since the 1st pressing of colored vinyl sold out before some of you had a chance to have your morning coffee, we’re making a 2nd pressing of limited edition vinyl exclusive to the Saddle Creek Store. "

It's the old Birth of a New Day "j/k this limited album isn't actually limited".  Kind of a dick move but at least people won't miss out.

54 minutes ago, thievedrelic said:

" Saddle Creek Store Exclusive : Since the 1st pressing of colored vinyl sold out before some of you had a chance to have your morning coffee, we’re making a 2nd pressing of limited edition vinyl exclusive to the Saddle Creek Store. "

It's the old Birth of a New Day "j/k this limited album isn't actually limited".  Kind of a dick move but at least people won't miss out.

It's at least a different variant so folks shouldn't get too upset. 

58 minutes ago, thievedrelic said:

I don't see how this is analogous really. The 2814 was billed as a limited variant when the only previous pressing was black, and then they decided after it sold out that they were just gonna make a shitload more of that same variant. With this, the original limited exclusive is still the most rare variant and there were at least two other known variants before they announced the second exclusive. 

Just now, tape said:

I don't see how this is analogous really. The 2814 was billed as a limited variant when the only previous pressing was black, and then they decided after it sold out that they were just gonna make a shitload more of that same variant. With this, the original limited exclusive is still the most rare variant and there were at least two other known variants before they announced the second exclusive. 

Oh I thought the second pressing was the exact same colorway.  Looks like they changed it slightly.  I guess it just feels like some labels/stores try to build up a frenzy making people feel like they are going to miss out if they don't buy immediately, which is pretty disingenuous if you're just going to immediately say "hey, here are more actually!" once the initial run sells out.  It doesn't really affect me but the sales tactic definitely rubs me the wrong way, like a sleazy car dealer. 

1 minute ago, thievedrelic said:

Oh I thought the second pressing was the exact same colorway.  Looks like they changed it slightly.  I guess it just feels like some labels/stores try to build up a frenzy making people feel like they are going to miss out if they don't buy immediately, which is pretty disingenuous if you're just going to immediately say "hey, here are more actually!" once the initial run sells out.  It doesn't really affect me but the sales tactic definitely rubs me the wrong way, like a sleazy car dealer. 

I feel the exact same. It's becoming standard tactic, and while it's not necessarily bad, it feels misleading for sure.

Unless you're planning to flip, I don't see the reason to be upset. In this case it seems they misread the demand and are being cool about offering another variant. I like that

- 2nd pressing: Limited edition of 750 tri-color striped vinyl (alternate color). Limit 2 per customer.  
- 1st pressing: Limited edition of 500 tri-color striped vinyl. Limit 2 per customer.  SOLD OUT

Indie Store Exclusive: Limited edition of 700 translucent yellow-orange vinyl, available to all participating independent record stores on April 6th, 2018

12 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Unless you're planning to flip, I don't see the reason to be upset. In this case it seems they misread the demand and are being cool about offering another variant. I like that

- 2nd pressing: Limited edition of 750 tri-color striped vinyl (alternate color). Limit 2 per customer.  
- 1st pressing: Limited edition of 500 tri-color striped vinyl. Limit 2 per customer.  SOLD OUT

Indie Store Exclusive: Limited edition of 700 translucent yellow-orange vinyl, available to all participating independent record stores on April 6th, 2018

I think for me the problem is that we only know one song off this album.  We all hope it will be brilliant, but I've certainly been burned by artists before.  If you buy something limited and you don't like it, it's like a little insurance policy that you can make your money back because of its rarity, because guaranteed some people love it, even if it ends up not for me.  The more variants, especially previously-unannounced ones like this one, lessen the guarantee that you could be easily rid of it if you want and not take a loss.  It's also nice to know that something in your collection has value; I doubt anyone would disagree with that.

All that being said, the single is amazing and I fully expect to love this album.  And I could certainly cancel my order right now if I was really concerned about the money.  Like I said before, it just feels deceptive on the part of the label.  It's nice for people who missed the post this morning though.

34 minutes ago, thievedrelic said:

I agree with this statement in every way. It's all about the music but do you really need to use car sales tactics to sell a record?

I don't think it's about the label misreading the demand for this album. I think it just might be smart business. I wouldn't fault Saddle Creek at all if they took a look at what Painted Shut was selling for on Discogs and said, "You know what, why shouldn't we be the ones making money off of our own releases". 

For those saying "it should be about the music", I agree. However, to act like some people didn't pull the trigger on this solely because of the value of Painted Shut is absurd. Bottom line, good for the label and the band. They should be the ones benefiting off the album, not the secondary market.

12 minutes ago, linksisfromcanada said:

I don't think it's about the label misreading the demand for this album. I think it just might be smart business. I wouldn't fault Saddle Creek at all if they took a look at what Painted Shut was selling for on Discogs and said, "You know what, why shouldn't we be the ones making money off of our own releases". 

For those saying "it should be about the music", I agree. However, to act like some people didn't pull the trigger on this solely because of the value of Painted Shut is absurd. Bottom line, good for the label and the band. They should be the ones benefiting off the album, not the secondary market.

It's hard enough for smaller labels to make money off of vinyl these days. If more color gimmicks work then bring them on. More money for the band/label, more options for the consumer. 

Perceived rarity in general is becoming a sleazy tactic, I don't even understand why an artist who probably moved 10k copies of their last album would only do 500 for a preorder, same thing with the margo price only pressing 750 of the indie exclusive it's like a stadium band playing a 500 cap club, everyone who doesn't get to go is mad, everyone who lucked out is a happy camper but still sucks to be standing outside. I'll just get the indie exclusive at release and not tie up my money early

Edited by NapalmBrain

48 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

Perceived rarity in general is becoming a sleazy tactic, I don't even understand why an artist who probably moved 10k copies of their last album would only do 500 for a preorder, same thing with the margo price only pressing 750 of the indie exclusive it's like a stadium band playing a 500 cap club, everyone who doesn't get to go is mad, everyone who lucked out is a happy camper but still sucks to be standing outside. I'll just get the indie exclusive at release and not tie up my money early

You wouldn't have made this post if you got the /500 :rolleyes:... There are two more variants and a retail version your analogy would make sense if they only pressed 500 copies of the record. Most people don't actually care about color despite how we are on VC. Just a "fun" preorder bonus that needs to be scrutinized.

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

You wouldn't have made this post if you got the /500 :rolleyes:... There are two more variants and a retail version your analogy would make sense if they only pressed 500 copies of the record. Most people don't actually care about color despite how we are on VC. Just a "fun" preorder bonus that needs to be scrutinized.

I suppose but I kinda figured I'd miss it, I get a discount on the indie exclusive so I won't lose sleep over it, I'm just saying they could have done 2000 and it would probably have sold out by tomorrow anyways. For the record I think releasing 6 variants of the same album is as scummy as majors reissuing $25 herb alpert reissues, it's all in the pursuit of the almighty dollar, but they market it as DIY so people eat it up (myself included)

1 minute ago, NapalmBrain said:

I suppose but I kinda figured I'd miss it, I get a discount on the indie exclusive so I won't lose sleep over it, I'm just saying they could have done 2000 and it would probably have sold out by tomorrow anyways. For the record I think releasing 6 variants of the same album is as scummy as majors reissuing $25 herb alpert reissues, it's all in the pursuit of the almighty dollar, but they market it as DIY so people eat it up (myself included)

It's stupid for sure seeing 6 different variants but I don't let it bother me unless they make more than one that I want lol. I'm honestly more annoyed their variant choices are all ugly including the white w/ pink haze Painted Shut that I still long for.

Just now, Sunshine said:

It's stupid for sure seeing 6 different variants but I don't let it bother me unless they make more than one that I want lol. I'm honestly more annoyed their variant choices are all ugly including the white w/ pink haze Painted Shut that I still long for.

you and me both, one day it will be mine