Fenway Park tickets/Family stuff to do

The swan boats in Boston Common are fun with the kiddos, as is the duck boats tours. The duck boats tours start right near the museum of science, which is also worth checking out, if for no other reason than they have a giant Tesla coil there. Need more info, feel free to ask. I don't live there, but know the town well. 

1 hour ago, danyc said:

The swan boats in Boston Common are fun with the kiddos, as is the duck boats tours. The duck boats tours start right near the museum of science, which is also worth checking out, if for no other reason than they have a giant Tesla coil there. Need more info, feel free to ask. I don't live there, but know the town well. 

Awesome. Duck boats were already on the list but swan boat and the coil sounds great thanks

1 hour ago, KingTacoMunster said:

Awesome. Duck boats were already on the list but swan boat and the coil sounds great thanks

Quite welcome. 

As far as Fenway Park goes, the place is not cheap and not all the tickets have good sight lines. There are columns in the way and when the ticket said obstructed view, they mean it. The outfield is probably the cheapest area, but Fenway is one the most expensive tickets in MLB. The concessions are the most expensive in the league. Also, if you plan to go in April, the weather is very unpredictable in New England at that time of year, so be prepared for anything, as best you can anyway, when on vaca. It's quite capable of still being pretty chilly then. That all said, it's a great old park and one everyone that likes baseball should visit. 

On 1/23/2018 at 8:40 PM, danyc said:

Quite welcome. 

As far as Fenway Park goes, the place is not cheap and not all the tickets have good sight lines. There are columns in the way and when the ticket said obstructed view, they mean it. The outfield is probably the cheapest area, but Fenway is one the most expensive tickets in MLB. The concessions are the most expensive in the league. Also, if you plan to go in April, the weather is very unpredictable in New England at that time of year, so be prepared for anything, as best you can anyway, when on vaca. It's quite capable of still being pretty chilly then. That all said, it's a great old park and one everyone that likes baseball should visit. 

It wouldn't be going to a game at Fenway if there's not a pole in front of you.

It's too bad you're going so early in the season. Boston has 4 major league sports teams so the fans seem to flop around to which ever team is doing well. That year they went from last to first and won the world series (2013?) I went to a handful of games for under 20 bucks. 

Seems most the stuff I'd recommend for families has already been mentioned: swan boats, museum of science. Their aquarium is really good if that's your thing.

You being a fellow horror guy, how could I forget Count Orlok's Horror Wax Museum?!

It's not exactly family friendly, and it's in Salem so like 45 minutes north of the city, but it's really well done, under 10 bucks, and if you're into horror and want to read all the trivia on the signs you could easily kill a couple hours in there. 

49 minutes ago, kylet said:

It's too bad you're going so early in the season. Boston has 4 major league sports teams so the fans seem to flop around to which ever team is doing well. That year they went from last to first and won the world series (2013?) I went to a handful of games for under 20 bucks. 

Seems most the stuff I'd recommend for families has already been mentioned: swan boats, museum of science. Their aquarium is really good if that's your thing.

oh I've been a fan of all Boston teams for 18/20 years now. and a trip to Salem was in the works and the wax museum sounds awesome. BUT we unfortunately had a dryer fire in our home and got super lucky but had to fix a wall and replace the dryer which dipped into our Boston funds. so the trip may be postponed. I'm super bummed.

2 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

oh I've been a fan of all Boston teams for 18/20 years now. and a trip to Salem was in the works and the wax museum sounds awesome. BUT we unfortunately had a dryer fire in our home and got super lucky but had to fix a wall and replace the dryer which dipped into our Boston funds. so the trip may be postponed. I'm super bummed.

Boston isn't going anywhere! You're lucky everyone and your records are safe!

Edited by kylet

Lots of good suggestions so far - The Arboretum in Jamacia Plain (southwest part of the city) is great, and assuming it's nice it can be fun to just wander around the trails. They also have a small Japanese Bonsai garden if thousand year old mini-trees are your thing. As a previous poster mentioned the Aquarium is fun (but quick), and they have all sorts of boat tours, whale watches, etc. that leave from that same area. Also, as cheesy as they may be, the ghost tours around the North End and Downtown are actually quite entertaining for the kids and educational for the older folk. And there is always Top of the Hub, an overpriced but pretty tasty restaurant on the top floor of the Prudential Center, with 360-degree views of the city (best at night); during the day you can walk the observation deck just one floor below for unobstructed views/photo ops.

Lastly, if the weather cooperates it can be great to go out on the Harbor Island Ferry, specifically George's Island is cool because it has an old Civil War fort (Fort Warren) that you can explore as much as you want. Can throw some restaurant suggestions your way as well if you want.

Edited by bluethumb

• 2 months later...

I'm gonna piggyback on my boy Taco's thread.  I'm gonna be in Boston from May 22-27th. Looking for any recommendations/Advice. We already have tickets to a game at Fenway and plans to walk the freedom trail, go to the zoo and aquarium as well.

Big sushi fan so any restaurant recommendations for Sushi? Would love to hear about some other good restaurants as well and of course...I need those record store recommendations also! Mostly into punk/hardcore/indie/whatever so I'd like to hit up the ones that have a bigger selection of that kind of stuff.