Deoxit.... Problem Solvered

Hi guys

Been using my dads old amp that I grew up with in my setup. Its a late 70's Thorn Integrated amp with a new Rega P1 turntable, second hand Jensen Speakers and PS3 running through TV for CD's and digital music files. The pots and switches have been scratchy for years but the source selector switch had recently become so bad that when using the turntable on the Magnetic input it was loosing significant portions of the signal unless the switch was placed in exactly the right position in relation to the cycles of the moon and the position of my tongue against my cheek  :P You would get it set just right, go sit down to listen and then it would drop half the signal again :angry: 

I was lent some records by a friend to listen to the other day and was getting very frustrated at the intermittent issues with signal quality. Finally did what i've been meaning to do for a while now. Bought myself a can of deoxit, opened the amp up, sprayed all the pots and switches,  all the connectors and the solder joins and wow... Its like a new amp. The switches and pots are smooth, quiet, the amp seems to have a lower noise floor and I swear it sounds better, fuller. And it only took me about an hour all up. Highly recommend it if your using old gear. 

13 hours ago, ebert said:

Hi guys

Been using my dads old amp that I grew up with in my setup. Its a late 70's Thorn Integrated amp with a new Rega P1 turntable, second hand Jensen Speakers and PS3 running through TV for CD's and digital music files. The pots and switches have been scratchy for years but the source selector switch had recently become so bad that when using the turntable on the Magnetic input it was loosing significant portions of the signal unless the switch was placed in exactly the right position in relation to the cycles of the moon and the position of my tongue against my cheek  :P You would get it set just right, go sit down to listen and then it would drop half the signal again :angry: 

I was lent some records by a friend to listen to the other day and was getting very frustrated at the intermittent issues with signal quality. Finally did what i've been meaning to do for a while now. Bought myself a can of deoxit, opened the amp up, sprayed all the pots and switches,  all the connectors and the solder joins and wow... Its like a new amp. The switches and pots are smooth, quiet, the amp seems to have a lower noise floor and I swear it sounds better, fuller. And it only took me about an hour all up. Highly recommend it if your using old gear. 

Same experience with my first setup that was traded to me by a friend. Worked alright, but after I opened up the receiver and went knob/switch to knob/switch spraying and rotating/toggling everything sound much, much better. Just go outside on a nice day and be careful.

I've used deoxit spray to clean pots etc on a couple of ageing amps including my current Kenwood 3020SE, which suffered with  a  crackly volume pot  etc.   Like you  I had to fiddle around to get the  selector switch to stay in same the same position between two different inputs or the sound would drop off in the right channel.  An all round sonic improvement  after cleaning,  including the fuller sound you mention, which I think is because the amp wasn't performing 100%  not only the right channel but the left as well, even  when  I had the input  switch precariously positioned.

I cleaned my amp approx 18 months ago and it's still going strong.

Edited by moffer